Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: memory map gps tx4

‹bermensch

hello all, had an email from memory map today about there latest gps/smartphone. being as I am outside most of the time and broke many a smartphone screen it seems like it could be a good investment, any one used the older tx3 or similar or got better reccommendations for a tough smart phone. it comes as a basic smartphone or for extra cash can be pre loaded with full gb mapping.

cheers

Their website does seem rather low on specs, so hard to say.

Things to compare it to:

a) Some very solid case for a 'normal' phone,

(although obviously it'll have to be popular enough to get a really good case),

b) A 'normal' rugged phone like this thing:

http://www.kyoceramobilephone.com/en/s701/

(Which is due in Europe in a few months it seems.).

Goodness knows what's best It has to be said that there's still a large chunk of exposed glass so basicallynothing will protect any of these things if you manage to drop them face down onto a rock or something.

‹bermensch

thanks for response martin, agree yes the website is a bit sparse of info at the moment and to be fair it is only being launched this week, im thinking smartphone ,gps with mapping camera etc route p[lanning and history all rolled into one and shockproof/waterproofrather than carrying 3 separate items. have worked out that could save quite a bit of cash by having sim only contract so maybe a good thing in the long term as long as the unit does last 2 or 3 years. and if I can find an old gps can get 50 pound discount on it,

If the batteries can't be replaced easily then that's a deal breaker for me.

‹bermensch

they have spare batteries for sale on the website rod, otherwise just charge it as a normal smart phone

Initiate

My s5 works well, if you want rugged get a hard case for your delicate gadgets perhaps.

Touchscreens aren't great when wet even if the phone is waterproof.

I've used ruggedised stuff before and its always been rubbish compared with a decent case and stupidly priced.

The glass in decent phones is freakishly hard but like all toughened glass is vulnerable to sharp edge impacts or damage to the glass edges causing the glass to fracture.

The screens survive the drop tests because the surface is flat and wooden and the screens recessed.

Its a 3g phone I notice, which is lagging behind somewhat, like 4 years ! Likewise the GPS unit inside the pHone may be similarly antiquated . I know you may not need such features as 4g etc but you may find the device of generally low performance depending on its origin.

Initiate

http://mobiloscope.net/en/hardware/smartphones/waterproof-rugged-smartphones-IP67-IP68.html

Widdler

I don't think its meant to replace your smart phone its a good second phone for when you are outdoors using the gps for what it is designed for it has a taller screen than my Garmin 550T which I find to be abit small. I like the ability for having the 1;50k & 1;25k and street level mapping. also a bit beater camera it will also charge up of a usb charger or the other after market solar or watsit? monkey type chargers, I think the spare batteries are a bit pricy the 5 licences is also pretty good, I am going to get one and see if I still think the same. Memory map are also offering a £50.00 trade-in on your old unit so my trusty Garmin 60cs will have to go

‹bermensch

thanks andy,not really bothered about 4g so not a problem for me, still waiting to hear back from memory map about the operating system it uses etc. link don't work for me cant see anything??

‹bermensch

obsessive, if you get one any time soon please let us know how you get on with it asp, I am in no hurry as will carry on using current cheap phone till I find what I really want ,cheers

I run my memorymap on my smart phone using Alpinequest but the only down side i see is its hard to see display in sunshine.

Also invest in one of these for your phone,tempered glass and its already saved me ??180 on my daughters screen nearly smashing,this tempered went pop instead.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?isRef...sPageName=GSTL

Initiate

I understand about the 4g but modern phones have very good GPS units fitted amongst other things like good bright screens. Small screens aren't good for reading maps, small dim screens even worse

The kyocera has 4g, a good resolution screen, etc even tho its not cutting edge.

Hopefully the specs will be decent.

‹bermensch

when do you expect to get one of those phones andy??

diddi cant seem to find those tempered glass phones ??

had a reply from memory map saying.... I could have one on 30 day trial and if not happy send back providing in same condition and with all packaging etc, for full refund..

Initiate

Google tempered glass screen protector. Its for preventing screen scratches. Compared to a good gorilla glass screen its not strong but not all screens are very hard glass.

I'm not getting a kyocera, I've an S5.

The main usability problem with screens outside is that they can't be seen in bright light. Modern phones are significantly better than phones 2 years ago in this respect.

Gorrila glass is standard on s5 and is pretty much indestructable but its the lcd display that usually goes before the glass,these extra glass cover have saved me ??180 having to replace my daughters so wont be without one now.
    Tempered glass screen covers.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/181626569243?nav=SEARCH

Initiate

Are you saying the screen inside breaks before the outside does?

In most cases but not all depending on the impact but i smashed my S2 lcd display ( no pic at all ) but my glass was fine,wife did the same on her S2 and it sits looking brand new but wont display.
    Daughter nearly broke herS5 screen but only managed to smass the tempered glass.
    Iphones tend to be other way around as the glass usually goes before the display.Can be a costly thing to replace so to me a 2.50 extra protection is fine.

Widdler

Recently went mad and acquired one of these. So, for what its worth, just one man's views:

It does not have a proximity alarm (Unless you want to pay another $99 for the 'Pro' S/W package - most features of which you will NOT want).

It does NOT provide any 'TRACK BACK'; which some would consider to be a safety feature.

The help is on-line so pay data charges if you need it while out and about OR download many many pages to the device. Then still not find the answers to many small points which WOULD be covered in any half decent User Guide. e.g. 'Recent Apps' is found by pressing & holding the 'Home' button.

It is Android so is (other than the GPS function) feature rich and expanding (a million Apps to look through). Obviously it allows you to load digital Memory Maps which integrate with the GPS functions.

There is 90 days free phone support (I found very useful) or raise a 'Ticket' on line and wait for reply (NOT in 2 days as the site claims).

All in all I rate it as doing a fair job, but at the price I had hoped for an excellent job. As it is, I see it as only equivalent to Garmin devices, which I have long used (and equally long disliked!).

Will possibly update after first real test in anger next week. (So far just walking round local known area).

Having had one of the old adventurers, I wouldn't get something from memory map again (try returning anything). Like a few others here am using an S5 - this takes pretty good pictures too. My mate took all his pictures on his S5 when I was using my camera and his looked a lot better than mine.