Thread: Talkback: Mam Tor Trig Point-Gate - What Really Happened

I think i'd have tried to get behind the ridge, rather than stay in the compression zone at the top. But, like you say.. easy to criticise.

Having been out on the high fells in the Lakes over the last week, I can well attest to some incredible winds and gusts, plus hail that felt like I was being pelted with stones. Let alone huge drifts of snow and spindrift assaults. Some tough conditions at times indeed!

Quite by chance, our training session last night included some discussion of the responses by the 'general public' to incidents like this; there are a lot of rather judgmental and unforgiving folk out there who can have quite an appalled and critical reaction to incidents like these. As Jon says, MR would very much rather be called out swiftly to a minor incident than have to go up later and carry someone off on a stretcher or worse, in a bag.

Übermensch

Aye - putting a tent up at a wild pitch near Small Water was a challenge last weekend.

I've had to crawl near Mam Tor before - but that's what you do if you have to make progress - crawl, few steps, hunker down, continue. It would never occur to me to make a selfie video if it's that bad. Kinda making your own drama to act in!

Do you get hail in winter? Is it not just high velocity sleet?

Not that I've a use for it nor am I an advocate of grooming products, especially for men - but didn't his hair gel do well!

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

Quite by chance, our training session last night included some discussion of the responses by the 'general public' to incidents like this; there are a lot of rather judgmental and unforgiving folk out there who can have quite an appalled and critical reaction to incidents like these. As Jon says, MR would very much rather be called out swiftly to a minor incident than have to go up later and carry someone off on a stretcher or worse, in a bag.
    There are a lot of judgemental and critical folk anywhere, on here, out there, everywhere.

I have been caught in winds along the peaks and they can really lift me off my feet, so you have to hunker down, but keep moving to get away... stopping for a selfie probably made him colder than he should have been (as did spending all that time preparing his hair for the video) and worsened his situation.

Ok, probably didn't know it was going to get worse, but it was already bad.

Another casualty of the selfie nation I reckon.

You do get hail in winter - two weekends ago I was walking in the heaviest hail I can remember!

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar

Have to wonder at him taking a video supposedly because he didn't think people would believe how bad it was. And then calling out MR to rescue him! If it was that bad I would have thought the last thing you'd be doing is videoing!

Initiate

He was hoping it would pass he said. If it was notable many people would have wanted a record. Interesting use of exclaimation marks. I can see where you've made your judgement. Calling mountain rescue indeed, in that wind? Well in my day I'd ....

Some of us have been in that position. Beyond a certain point high winds stop being exhilarating and get alarming. In 2012 I had to crawl off the summit ridge ofSgorr nan Lochain Uaine, moving one hand or foot at a time, brace, repeat. It never even occurred to me to video it or call the rescue - or enlist help from two other people walking past...

Couple of things that spring to my mind

1/ 2 people that walked past spotted him.

If they could walk why couldn't he?

2/ If he couldn't stand up how does he expect MR to get to him?

Like others i've been in winds where the only course of action is to crawl 1 step at a time until you get to a spot that's slightly better.

It's been a few years but if i remember rightly if you drop down a little there are a couple of ledges you could shelter behind, failing that there is a dry stone wall a few meters further down.

It's easy to sit here at home picking hairs, but unless i'd got enough kit to wait out all night i can't imagine a scenario where i'd just wait

Mini Goon

When cycling up Mam Tor old road we were struck by very strong winds. At the pushing stage about 100 metres below the top (on road bikes), one of our group was blown off the road while pushing. After struggling along we got to Rushup Edge heading towards Chapel and had to push our bikes for half a mile until things calmed down. I've never, before or since, experienced conditions like it.

Dave

I had some kids out with me on a walk last weekend, there were strong gusts and we were walking quite close to a considerable drop. I told them that if the gusts were going to knock them over they should drop to the ground. They thought this was great fun and a couple of times threw themselves down just for the heck of it, and thoroughly enjoyed the challenging conditions.

But they were with an experienced walker who was looking out for them. It can be very different when you're on your own, and being on your own when you're not confident can be very debilitating mentally. Leaving a place of (comparative) safety by the trig may have been beyond the capability of this walker at that point.

Ultra King AT (http://AyrshireTiger.wordpress.com/)'s Avatar

True enough Kate, but he claims to be an experienced walker. Hope he doesn't find himself on top of Suilven in a hoolie - now that was windy! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

...being on your own when you're not confident can be very debilitating mentally...
    Yeah, that's what I suspect happened - he lost his confidence. (He also lost his spectacles - easily done so it's worth having them on a string).

An observation - he recognised the danger of hypothermia so I wonder why he remained bareheaded and didn't put his hat on or pull his hood up?

I only know what I would have done... and I have been in very windy situations.

1. I wouldn't have held on to the trig point. I would have sat on the lee side, with my back to it. That would have cut the wind pretty much dead in its tracks.

2. Gathering strength, and based on the wind speed and direction, plus the slope of the hill, I'd have plotted a course of least resistance to lower ground.

3. Scared of getting blown over? Simple... just drop to the ground. As my teachers would say whenever I dropped a pencil... 'Leave it. It won't fall any further!'

Of course... that's just me. Others would no doubt do things differently.

Initiate

I know I like to think I know how I will perform under stress, but it doesn't always work out that way.

I wonder how well he could see after his glasses flew off.