Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost gear in the lakes

Mini Goon
    If anybody happens across a trashed tarp tent Scarp 2 with an exped UL downmat 7, enlightened equipment quilt and Montane venture jacket inside then they are mine Last seen disappearing into small water (near Haweswster) then up into the mountainside in high winds yesterday evening Gutted

That's bad news, Gratty, I hope they turn up

Goon

HI someone on the facebook group outdoor gear exchange is asking about a tent they found, long shot but might be yours!

‹bermensch

Ouch Good luck with your search. We abanoned pitching there last weekend & dropped down a couple hundred feet. We took a beating with one bent pole suffered by one.

Sorry to hear that.
    If you have house insurance they may cover some of the loss.

Mini Goon
    Thanks for the sympathy
    I'll check out the FB group and enquire with my house insurance
    When we pitched up it was a nice sheltered spot but the wind moved round a wee bit and started gusting and hitting us
    My tent ripped worryingly quickly then as popped out to batten down the hatches it flew out the ground and buggered off
    On the up side it's the perfect opportunity to buy some new shiny kit

The tent mentioned on FB OGE was found pitched/abandoned by a path I seem to remember and not a Scarp, it was green/black.

Would you get another Scarp gg?

Mini Goon

Re the scarp NN

In all honesty no i wouldn't

It's a decent tent but with a couple of serious flaws IMO

1. There isn't enough separation between flysheet and inner so its virtually impossible to stop them touching in anything other than a light breeze. I believe its probably worse on the 2 man version than the 1 man due to the extra unsupported material.To help prevent this you need the crossing poles which then makes the tent a rather heavier proposition

2.Despite using some seam sealer in stripes and dots on it to prevent my mat slipping, the floor is seemingly made with the slippiest teflon coated fabric know to mankind. Unless on a virtually flat pitch (and how often do you find them wildcamping!) you end up fighting gravity all night and pushing your bag up against the lower part of the tent.

3. I was also disappointed that my tent ripped up one of the panels before it disappeared. Obviously is was very windy at the time but not extreme. i guess this is the trade off of using lighter materials for lighter tents.

On the upside though there is acres of space inside for the weight. A really spacious 2 man tent with 2 porches. Tarptent were also a pleasure to deal with.

Hi gg,

Thanks for this feedback. A Scarp 2 has been high on my wishlist - still is to be honest but it is good to be aware of these issues you've had as most feedback is positive (rightly so, space Vs. weight, two porches etc.)

So, obvious next question, what would you consider next?

Mini Goon

Now there's a can of worms

I've fancied a pyramid tent for a long time now. I'm not sure why but i think the itch needs to be scratched

I've looked at various ones from MLD, Nigor wiki's etc but i think the ones coming in to backpackinglight.co.uk from Luxe outdoor might be worth a punt as they look good value

A bit of a different proposition than a Scarp though

gg, have a talk with Boos - she's had several of the tents you mention above. I'm sure she'd be happy to give her opinions and answer questions

Intrigued that a panel ripped.
    Which one was it?
    Any idea what the wind speeds were?

I've never treated the floor of my Scarp and don't find it overly slippy.

I know of people who have had problems with outer-inner separation on the Scarp 1 - they needed to tune up their pitching.

Sorry to hear about the loss. I mentioned it to some friends who live nearby and they may well go take a look for you. I was on High Street area on 4th March and didn't see anything around and about!

Mini Goon

Cheers Zero thats good of you

The ripped area was the side panel behind the door from the bottom up if that makes sense. If i can work out how to upload a photo i'll put a pic up

I have no idea of wind speed but it was very gusty. one second no wind whatsoever then next you were struggling to stand upright

i think with the inner outer separation there just hasn't been enough space designed in. When i've unclipped my inner it must be only 50mm in places

Again if i can upload a photo i can show you it pitched before it blew away for your critique. I'm no expert as my missing tent testifies too.

Mini Goon

hopefully 2 photos are above

Sounds like mental wind if it took all that gear (with x poles) into the tarn, then out again! Especially seeing as it was all pegged down still.

How did the rip start? Was it rubbing on a rock or something? Hard to imagine the rolled hem ripping across at that point without a serious weakness

We once camped over near those rocks in the distance on your first photo. Some of the worst gusts I've experienced.

Mini Goon
    Funnily enough Mole those rocks were our intended spot but the winds were just ridiculous in that area
    A real funnel of wind off the tops
    Where we ended up camping felt very sheltered initially

I can't work out how the rip started as there was nothing sharp or abrasive near it at all

Perhaps I can claim manufacturers fault and get all new kit

Good luck with that

It's a pity. Corries are so picturesque and often offer decent pitches, but when it's windy, they are often a nightmare. Had a tent blow down once at Red Tarn due random gusts on Jan 2 1990. We repitched ok (an Ultimate Tramp o something similar) but spent half the night awake. Lost my waterproof jacket that time (blown out of the porch), luckily was only light snow and fog for the rest of the 3 day trip- my fibre pile jacket was a bit draughty at times - just kept warm by walking......

Wow, not good, gutted for you. I'm also surprised to see where the rip went, it's annoying that you'll probably never find out why too.

I did a loop round those parts on Sunday and never saw anything snagged up anywhere, they're probably sat on the bottom of Kentmere res now. I'm back there for a few days next week so I'll keep an eye out.

Mini Goon
    Thanks Shewie
    I was amazed it ripped mid panel like it did although that section was taking the full force of the wind