Thread: Talkback: Best Waterproof Mountain Jackets Reviewed

Good set of reviews, helpful overview thanks!

If I could I've have gone for an ME Lhotse, but managed to snag a good deal on a TNF Point Five jacket. Pretty good stuff and pretty bombproof in every sense but I feel a looser fit than things like the Lhotse and Montane / Rab cuts.

Widdler
    I have owned a montsne further faster neo for about A year now and I have second the fact that it is an incredibly breathable and beautiful jacket. The looser cut of this jacket suits my well built frame and allows for easy layering.

Widdler
    I would have liked a conclusion to this article and i think when comparing items like this the testers should always say which one they thought was best, which one was worst and why. if there are multiple people testing give us all their opinions.

Also I think its odd that they haven't chosen jackets from each manufacturer that are in the same price range. They claim to be reviewing the best but i know many of these manufacturers make better, more premium, higher priced jackets!

After about 5 years using the ME Ogre it is now leaking everywhere and I only use it for holidays and some bike rides, Gore waterproof lifetime guarantee... yeah right. ALso the toggle springs are useless, only after a few weeks the toggles wouldnt hold the draw cords in place, this is a big problem for the hood especially on a bike, also not a problem I have experienced on any other jacket. ME not all their cracked up to be in my experience.

So after some research and trying a lot of stuff on I decided to buy the Rab Neo guide jacket which is probably superior to both the RAB jackets on test here and a higher price, why was that not in this comparison.

Can't test everything these people produce!

5 years decent wear from a waterproof is fair going. Very good indeed if you used it for day to day wear.

i think when comparing items like this the testers should always say which one they thought was best, which one was worst and why. if there are multiple people testing give us all their opinions.

"Best" is mostly about context. If I tell you what is the best X then that's best for my uses and contexts, which aren't necessarily the same as yours. So if a tester has shorter arms than you and really likes X and you buy it on their say so you might find it's a bit rubbish because the arms aren't long enough. Someone who uses their shell for climbing in the 'Gorms with a helmet will have different hood requirements to someone using their shell for bird watching in a Tilley hat. And so on. So I much prefer plain information that I can use my own preferences to filter to work out the best for me.

Chatting to someone who worked in Tiso once, he said he was rather frustrated with people coming in and insisting on whatever had just been given "Best Buy" in Trail or whatever irrespective of what they were actually doing, and questions about their specific uses were taken as trying to derail from the One True Best and probably earn sales commission from whatever the Tiso Suits wanted promoting.

Also I think its odd that they haven't chosen jackets from each manufacturer that are in the same price range. They claim to be reviewing the best but i know many of these manufacturers make better, more premium, higher priced jackets!

"Higher priced" does not always mean "better" or "more premium". Look at Hilleberg's tent line. for example, where everything is as good as they can make it for the niche it's aimed at. A 4 person Saitaris costs a lot more than a 4 person Nallo 4, but that's not because it's "more premium", it's because there's more of it. Which is better depends on whether you're carrying it (Nallo) or sitting out storm force winds with accompanying blizzards for a week (Saitaris). Higher prices are often about more features, because more stuff costs more to add, but if you don't need those features then a cheaper jacket from down the notional line a bit could well be better. So again to our twitcher in a Tilley hat, why would they pay more for a volume adjustable, wire peaked helmet compatible hood? All it would do would be add to weight, bulk and cost for no tangible return. Looking at Berghaus' line, which is objectively better out of their superlight running waterproofs or their heavyweight climbing waterproofs? It's all about context.

Furthermore, if you do a comprehensive test of all "serious" 2015 waterproofs you'd expect to report... oooh, I'd guess about a year or two after most of them had been discontinued! You've only got so many people and so many review pieces sent by manufacturers, and so many suitably rainy days to go and put them to the test.

Pete.

Ruffneck I hear what you're saying but as Martin and Peter say, a review from every waterproof manufacturer (and then all of the 'higher end' ones from each manufacturer) would mean 100 jackets or more! 16 is a very good number of review jackets and more / more comprehensive than many other decent comparison reviews.

I personally don't like surveys that say things like 'best'. As Peter says, 'best' for who, how, when, where and in what way? There are so many factors! An open-ended review tells me strengths and weaknesses and then I can apply that to my choice, rather than the 'best' system which is potentially too prescriptive.

Hope your Neo Guide jacket really works for you. I've also seen great reviews on that. Maybe you could post back and do a review on the jacket so you can also help others in your same position? Cheers!

Angeline Spencer

Really a great advice .!!

Hi Ruffneck, sorry for the slow response. The quick answer is that we simply can't review everything, it's just not feasible - Rab, alone, has more than 15 individual waterproof shells in its range. We're putting together the 2016 overview shortly though, and we'll consider including the Neo Guide.

Rather than focus narrowly on a single price range, we've tried to give a reasonable overview of what's out there but also help people make their own decisions. I guess we could just test the outright most expensive, highly specced jacket from each brand, but then it might make more sense to test the best-selling jacket from every range. I guess if we had more resources we'd do just that, but we can only test so many individual products I'm afraid.

Incidentally, did you send your leaking jacket back to Gore? The point of the guarantee is that if the jacket leaks, they'll replace it and they do have a good reputation for standing by that. It's one of the reasons the fabric's expensive in the first place.

Also, NeoShell, although really breathable, is arguably best suited for snowy conditions due to the reduced hydrostatic head compared to fabrics like GTX Pro and eVent. I'm not saying it'll leak initially, but if your priority is waterproofing, it might not be the outright best choice. Great jacket though, I know the designer who worked on it and a lot of thought went into the details and design.

Usually between all of the best of the online and paper magazine outdoors industry press, from Grough to OM here, to Chris Townsensd and his team at TGO, to Clive Tulley at Camping magazine and the great folks that write for the other web outdoors outfits plus mags like Trail, Walk plus Country Walking, most items do actually get reviewed overall pretty much.

It is really quite amazing if you Google for it what reviews of outdoors kit are in fact actually out there. So yes, OM and its team do a great job, but alone cannot be expected to review everything! Check out multiple sources before you buy your kit, it is only good common sense! I find, reviews apart, a heck of a lot of good common sense feedback on kit come from the great folks on this and other outdoors forums too. We are especially blessed now, with a newly commissioned team of testers on this site, and with folk like Peter and others on here, who together posess a very high quality knowledge on the various industry standards and manufacturing techniques in fact!
    Trevor DC Gamble

http://tgomagazine.co.uk/section/lis...ml?Waterproofs

I look forwards particularly to the comparative reviews of a lot of garments together like this at TGO, by the aforementioned great Mr Chris Townsend and co!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    I particularly like clothing offered by OMM (Original Mountain Marathon).
    They use a very stretchy material known as Gelanots, in the construction of their Kamlika waterproofs.

All their clothing has been carefully designed for the more active adventure runner, or walker looking for very high quality lightweight fully waterproof clothing.

If weight is a serious issue, or you just need a very high quality, fully waterproof garment for those miserable Summer months, any of the OMM range will do.

Some are very minimalist, with not a single pocket or adjustment zip, an out and out waterproof for those in a serious hurry, and others are covered in pockets and zips like your average waterproof.

The one thing you will find in all their clothing, is attention to detail and careful design, detail and design often missing in most waterproofs on the market.

Their new Phantom Hoody weighs under 200gms, but is as waterproof and beathable as a waterproof weighing five times as much.

Nice kit, and looks the part in the hills.

Widdler
    What a great Jackets

Widdler

Great