Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do my thermos flasks have such a short life?

Hi,

I seem to be going through thermos flasks at an astonishing rate: about one per year. After this short time they just don't keep my drinks really hot any more. Is this a common problem for everyone? Anything I can do to extend their life or a treatment for reviving their insulation?

I always rinse my flasks after use, I don't use washing up liquid but normally use baking soda when they need a good clean.

Any advice from the collective knowledge of OM would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

‹bermensch

My advice would be to stop using them to hammer nails into oak boards.

As Guy implies, what will cause them to fail is losing the vacuum which will typically be about knocking them about too much causing a seal to go somewhere. Shouldn't be anything to do with washing routine. Since the insulation is nothing, once it's gone it's gone.

The steel ones tend to be better in this regard, but aren't infallible. Coleman replaced one I had which leaked heat after a while, but overall they've been pretty reliable.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Clinch View Post

Since the insulation is nothing, once it's gone it's gone.

Or more correctly... once it's gone... it's replaced with something!

Mini Goon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Ulti...=thermos+flask

Thank me later

It is the best Thermos flask and keeps drinks hot for over 24hrs easily. It also has a thick rubber sleeve on the bottom which protects it from drops to some extent.

Mini Goon

I agree with outdoordude - I have had mine for several years and it has been fantastic.

Just watch that the rubber foot does not come off.

I got one of those on recommendation from OMers and back up what outdoordude and Jon have said. I've actually taken the rubber foot off mine cos it kept jamming when I was pulling it out of my rucksack, and don't miss it!

Mini Goon

I've wrapped my in 6mm closed cell foam sleeve. It's saved it from many dents and stops the rubber bottom being pulled off by being wider then it.

Mini Goon

I have one by Lifeventure. Lee p s water hot all day.

‹bermensch

I once had a guy return a Thermos because it wasn't keeping his tea hot.

He had stuck a thermometer in it and hooked it up to a computer. He had printed me off a nice graph to show the temperature drop off.

He learnt an important lesson, they don't work without the lid on.

Ultra King

I've got 2 Trespass Alu. flasks, 1l and 0.75l. I bought in Avimore in 'sale', 4yrs ago, for £6.99, for both.

Never had a problem, keep stuff hot enough to drink for 24 to 36hrs. Much better than the Thermos I have, about 18hrs is it's max. for keeping warm.

I've also used in summer for keeping "slushy water" cold, (think Slush Puppie drink style). Has still been same after 12hrs.

Mini Goon

I've got a gas burner........

‹bermensch

I've got a Dualit Espresso machine.

Mini Goon

LOL

Ultra King

Very happy for both of you.

Mini Goon

Zojirushi Tuff series

Excellent design, build, QC and comes with 5 year warranty as standard. My original Tuff Boy still works perfectly after nearly 20 years but be warned there are fakes on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Metric Kate View Post

I got one of those on recommendation from OMers and back up what outdoordude and Jon have said. I've actually taken the rubber foot off mine cos it kept jamming when I was pulling it out of my rucksack, and don't miss it!
    Ditto.

If you don't mind weight and want a bigger flask, I can recommend Aladdin Challengers (1l or 1.8l) . We have 3 and they get regular daily and overnight use as 'teapots' at work and home. Still work well. The oldest is 12 years old.

Also, with cheaper stuff, the smaller the flask, the worse the performance IME. And also, IME lids with spouts n fliptops etc have all failed with regular use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazelle View Post

I once had a guy return a Thermos because it wasn't keeping his tea hot.

He had stuck a thermometer in it and hooked it up to a computer. He had printed me off a nice graph to show the temperature drop off.

He learnt an important lesson, they don't work without the lid on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Also, with cheaper stuff, the smaller the flask, the worse the performance IME. And also, IME lids with spouts n fliptops etc have all failed with regular use.
    With expensive stuff too: you've got more surface area compared to the volume to radiate heat from. Also consider the case of a 500 ml and 750 ml flask which have just had 1 x 250 ml drink removed. In the former case the remaining 250 ml will share its heat with 250 ml of air, but you've got double the heat reservoir in the 750 ml to heat up the same amount of air, so less temperature drop in the liquid.

I've found the same with the fancy tops. They tend to fail with time. The last one I got (a Lifeventure 750 when the local Millets shut and they had an Everything Must Go sale) came with two lids, trendy pouring top and basic (i.e., reliable) top. I'll use the trendy one until it dies, but at least the rest of the flask will not suddenly become useless when that happens

Pete.

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Taking the thermos climbing has lead to a bit of a bashing so that would explain things. Sounds like it may be worth making or investing in a neoprene sleeve or something like that to stop it happening to the next one.

‹bermensch

If you do get a new flask, I would echo the advice offered above and get one of the Thermos Ultimate models. Even the smallest one ‚?? about 03l, I think ‚?? keeps liquid hot through a long day on the fells.

Having said that, most of the flasks I've had over the years have worked reasonably well, until I lost them or their stoppers. Only one stopped working, and that had suffered a 150ft fall on Pillar Rock.