Thread: Talkback: New For Winter 2014 - Primus Winter Gas

Widdler
    I have looked at the new Jetboil Joule as a contender to being my new winter stove. But now with Primus Winter Gas a lot of new possibilities open up.

But how would these two work together? Seing that the trick with the wintergas is evaporation, and the Joule is the liquified gas.

But maybe the winter gas would give the joule longer life in conditions under -12 if the blend of gas in primus winter gas also is different.

Do you know or have any guesses?

Regards Kristian

Interesting. I bet Coleman and others will be having a good look at this and coming up with their own versions if they see merit to it.

There will be people on this website who are going to have technical opinions for sure, and I'll be interested to see those. There'll also be those who give the stuff a darned good hands-on testing in real-life conditions. Put bluntly, I'd probably take more note of those opinions than any manufacturers claim, respected though the maker may be. At the end of the day, real-life use is the ultimate test-bed.

The only thought I can have now, not having tested the stuff, is that if it takes 60 minutes of use to achieve a 9% increase in output, or 120 minutes to gain 15%, that seems a lot of burn-time before those advantages are achieved. OM-ers already seem pretty adept at getting the most from their gas judging by past posts, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with the new product. Right now I can't help thinking the figures Primus quote are something of an own-goal - though it's nice to see honesty rather than just a claim that might have said "Offers up to 15% more power" with no other detail.

‹bermensch
    This winter gas concept looks very questionable to me. Surely the presence of a bit of paper won't increase the propensity of propane, butane or isobutane to evaporate at low temperatures, or increase the pressure inside the canister. What's it supposed to do? "Increase the surface for the evaporation process." Sorry, that makes no sense to me. Increasing the proportion of propane would work, but I believe manufacturers can't do that because of safety regulations.
    As for the summer cartridges, it sounds as if they've reduced the amount of propane. That's brilliant ? nobody ever thought of just turning their stove down.

The new Power gas is re-formulated to contain propane and iso-butane, probably in similar proportions to Jetboil Jetgas. That's good for winter.

Winter gas appears to be the same but with a paper liner inside. I can't see that making one jot of difference.

Widdler
    The paper in the canister increases the surface area that the liquid gas is able to evaporate from, like a candle wick that 'wicks' up the melted candle wax and burns it. Assuming that gas is drawn out of the canister (by a lit stove)then the liquid gas inside the canister will more readily evaporate from the huge surface area of the paper (think about blotting paper) and that will increase the performance of the stove in cold weather (but only stoves that burn LPG in gaseous form). This winter canister will have no discernible benefit with systems that use liquid gas through an inverted canister like the Jetboil Joule.

Initiate
    Umm...TBH, I smell a touch of marketing hype (otherwise known as bovine excrement).

Use a stove with a preheat and inverted cylinder and all the questionable benefits of this gas (along with the presumed premium price) will disappear.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I'm dubious of the benefit of the 'wick', and suspect it will give only marginal improvement in performance.

The main reason why this mix will work better than bog-standard 70/30 butane/propane in winter is that the butane has been replaced by isobutane, which has a much lower boiling point than butane, although not as low as propane. Thus, the problem of differential evaporation of propane won't occur until significantly below 0C, givng better sustained performance.

I might modify my canister pressure/capacity spreadsheet to see what effect isobutane has:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/s...ng-/35032.html

I agree with GoF; I think the best way of ensuring good, low-temperature performance is still to use a stove with a preheat tube, and invert the canister. That way, the propane provides the pressure to drive mixed liquid fuel to the stove, and the mix remains pretty constant throughout the life of the canister.