Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talkback: Ten Of The Best Movies About The Outdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Gav. View Post

Have a look here; https://www.reelhouse.org/
    Thanks Gav.
    I'll be checking that out more fully, for sure

Super Moderator

Gav.

As stated in the article "By the way, we've left out the pure outdoors films like Leo Houlding and Alastair Lee's three collaborations, as they're not quite Hollywood but they'll certainly be included in the next feature."

I completely agree there are some fantastic outdoors films, especially the ones you see at all the mountain film festivals. This is why a feature based on these 'pure outdoors films' is on its way in the near future.

This feature was just a little fun, throwing in a few outdoors movies that are so bad, they're good.

Without descending into the usual childish interweb arguments, I still stand by my lazy journalism point - it looks like an 'article' for MSN not OM - unless of course, you were doing some cheeky trolling, in which case, you won, I bit.

'Ten Of The Best Movies About The Outdoors' was the title though ?

Why not have 10/20 GOOD films that don't necessarily come from Hollywood/UK that generally do inspire the magic of the outdoors ? They don't have to be short adventurer as director, MFF types either.

e.g I saw a quirky Iceland Road Movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109028/) earlier this year that really caught the bleakness of landscape and brought back lots of memories of the place.

In the same way, that 'Walkabout' captures the desolation of the outback.

These are the hidden gems that I wish to know about, as I'm sure a lot of OM Readers do as well.

Not sure why Vertical Limit which has the most ridiculous plot ever gets in there and not K2, which is marginally better.

The first 10 minutes of Lonely Place to Die were good, but it goes downhill after that. The special features on the DVD showing the director climbing the Eiger were good, though.

Wasn't there a film on the Eiger - The North Face (google helped me here), which was better than some on the list.

North Face is in a different league to the films on the list and in my opinion the best mountaineering based film ever (as opposed to an action film set in the mountains). At the other extreme I actually quite Like the Coast to Coast film Down Hill even though the walking bits are ridiculous and they miss out the North York Moors altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Andybr View Post

... I actually quite Like the Coast to Coast film Down Hill even though the walking bits are ridiculous and they miss out the North York Moors altogether.
    We saw trailers for this low-budget British comedy while watching other films. It looked promising so we went to the premiere in Ambleside. It wasn't as funny nor as poignant as the trailer suggested - it was well played by a good cast but I felt the writing let it down a bit.

Link to trailer

Mini Goon
    Seven years in Tibet

Widdler

I went through a phase of watching lots and lots of outdoor films and have sort of nerd-ishly been keeping a list of my favourites in my head. I suppose one question that comes up with lists like this is, what is an outdoor film? Rather than restrict it to films about people doing traditional 'outdoor activities', I would include all films that examine the relationship between people and wild places, be they long-distance hikers, scientists or farmers eking out a living.

There are two types of outdoor films that I'm less fond of: 1) Those that just show endless clips of gnarly bros tearing up powder or riding crazy waves (these can be entertaining but don't have much lasting impact) and 2) Those that are mostly just dudes talking about all the epic things they've done in the annoying jargon unique to their sport of choice (the surf movie Waveriders comes to mind). Both of these templates just watch like ego-trips to me, and I much prefer more meditative, thoughtful movies that capture some of the awe and reverence that wild places command.

Among documentaries, here's an off the top of my head list.

6. Waterwalker. Bill Mason canoes around Lake Superior and paints a bit. That's all. Beautiful.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7CqhbzPUs

5. Low and Clear. A thoughtful documentary about two old friends taking one last fly fishing trip together to Canada in winter.

4. Sweetgrass. An almost wordless documentary about some of the last shepherds practising transhumance in the US West, as they move to tents in the Sweetgrass Hills of Montana to bring their sheep to summer pasture.

3. Encounters at The End of the World. Werner Herzog's study of the inhabitants of McMurdo Station in Antarctica. I don't think any filmmaker better gets into the heart of why people go to wild places.

2. North of the Sun. Two Norwegian lands hike to an isolated beach in the north of Norway, in winter, build a cabin and live there for the winter to surf. Beautiful.https://vimeo.com/ondemand/northofthesun

1. The Dark Glow of the Mountains. A Werner Herzog made-for-TV documentary about Reinhold Messner and Hans Kammerlander's climbs of Gasherbrum I and II in 1984. The interview scene with Messner about the death of his brother makes for astonishing viewing. I can no longer find an English-language version online, but let me know if you can.

For fictional films, A River Runs Through It would be near the top of my list. In fact, Robert Redford has great form acting or directing outdoor films: Jeremiah Johnson and last year's brilliant All Is Lost (has anyone else seen it?) come to mind. And he's currently making a film version of Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods, about hiking the Appalachian Trail. There are lots of great westerns that sort-of qualify as outdoor movies, maybe? And I would also put 'Deliverance' high up there: fear is a natural part of adventuring in isolated places and it's hard to think of a movie that captures this better.

Okay that's me done for now. I'm sure there are some great ones I'm forgetting.

If you want a great outdoors movie on dvd to watch, treat yourself for a quid at Poundland right now! Somehow or another they have oddly placed into this years Halloween type range, of spooky films dvd offerings, an actually really rather good US Hollywood outdoors film with hiking/camping/bears/camp fires etc in it. Must be a mistake someplace, as it definitely is no horor movie for my mind! A good outdoors setting watch for a quid anyways for sure, ok!

film is ' Into The Grizzly Maze'. OK Story and good cast too! The bear is a really good actor, steals the show for me essentially. Enjoy!
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1694021/

Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 29-10-2016 at 10:55 AM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Oooooh, yes indeed! I shall look out for that one on dvd, many thanks indeed there for the heads up, bud!
    Trevor DC Gamble

Widdler
    Nothing touches Into the Wild... but this was pretty damn great and I'm just happy to see more stories told like this, no matter how similar. It's important. Our society is aching for release and sometimes the only escapism for me (and many) is witnessing these brave souls. The fear in us all keeps us from acting upon instinct as these beautiful creatures have broken free from the "false security" that binds us, the monotony, the cloistered sadness of four walls and media obsession which is just blinding and mind-numbing. Anyway I'll end my rant I'm just speaking into the void here, but maybe someone's listening and nodding to these words. Just to note, another film coming out called "Tracks" about a young woman who trekked across the Australian outback. Look forward to both. We need to watch a woman go "into the wild" this time.

Meru is a true story and actual footage as things unfold.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545428/

watch it....

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis L. Ward View Post
    Nothing touches Into the Wild... but this was pretty damn great and I'm just happy to see more stories told like this, no matter how similar. It's important. Our society is aching for release and sometimes the only escapism for me (and many) is witnessing these brave souls. The fear in us all keeps us from acting upon instinct as these beautiful creatures have broken free from the "false security" that binds us, the monotony, the cloistered sadness of four walls and media obsession which is just blinding and mind-numbing. Anyway I'll end my rant I'm just speaking into the void here, but maybe someone's listening and nodding to these words. Just to note, another film coming out called "Tracks" about a young woman who trekked across the Australian outback. Look forward to both. We need to watch a woman go "into the wild" this time.
    Yes indeed, Tracks like Into the Wild is well worth a watch. As is Wild too actually really.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_%282014_film%29

Trevor DC Gamble

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/blog?ur...hiking-movies/ Damned straight!

Inspiring little bits of video film here I found too, I think.
    https://vimeo.com/154572002

https://gearjunkie.com/10-best-outdo...424b1-22879461
    '10 Best Outdoor Documentaries Streaming On Netflix'

New and upcoming outdoors inspired films here for 2017, at link below!
    http://gearpatrol.com/2017/01/24/out...sundance-2017/
    Last edited by Trevor DC Gamble; 22-02-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Trevor DC Gamble

Great outdoors films to be accessed here.
    https://gearjunkie.com/slipstream-ou...22e3d-22879461
    Trevor DC Gamble

Cold prey
    Dead Snow

Widdler
    Is it too late to nominate Swallows and Amazons?

Quite a new one... The Eagle Huntress. Loved it

Wild? Good grief. One of the dreariest books I ever read - definitely put me off seeing the film.