Thread: Camp_by_bergs_0.jpg

Übermensch
    I haven't really sussed out this Gallery thing! But for anyone interested, I reckon the main berg is about a km long. It seemed pretty well stationary but the stuff in between it and the shore was all moving at quite some speed. One day, I'll work out how to save the videos somewhere in such a way I can provide a link.

Übermensch

<a href='https://www.flickr.com/photos/127266110@N07/' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>

This is all new to me - a Flickr virgin. But it at least allows viewing in better resolution. I'll try to add more in due course.

Übermensch

Hi Rob

What great pics thanks for posting them . I liked the one with the flowers and grass in the foregroundin contrast to the ice n snow in background.The iceberg pic is good too . Must have been great to be so close to the"berg".

Übermensch

Hi Coastal! Thanks. The beauty of the scene and it's ever/changingness(?) was just stunning. I don't wish to appearboastful overall this but would love more peopleto be able to see the area. I had no idea such massive bergs existed,nor their beauty and I found the whole business of learning about the area fascinating. The sheer scale of it was beyond belief.

Have you read any of the trip report? I hope it might inspire people to get out there. I found costs lower than expected, if one was able to be selective on dates. For instance, the flights from Ilulissat Kangerlussuaq Copenhagen were actually cheaper than just latterthe flight alone, even though it was the same flight. I had to have an overnight in Kang tho, but that was intended anyway.

Übermensch

Hi Rob

Just read your TR on the other forum. Your epic trip sounds really amazing. You could make a documentary. . I hope you manage to post some more photos.

Once again thanks for sharing your trip and photos. I could not even contemplate doing such a trip on my own.

CR

Übermensch

Hi CR. Thanks! I have just added the last day to the TR and uploaded quite a few pics on Flickr. The order is a bit mixed - haven't cracked that yet! But the camera's numbers are still there, so that might help.

Rob

Übermensch

Hi Rob

You do know how to p... people off, A whole month off and in a fantastic location.
    Lucky you, looks and sounds an amazing trip

Übermensch

Hi Chewie,

Hmmm - sorry...! But if it inspires peeps, it's good - and I beg to be let off the hook? I found the whole thing such an exciting learning experience - no-one I know was aware of the sheer beauty and scale of the place.

It's funny - my initial reaction to the describedtrail in the book was one of, I hate to say it, slight disappointment. I nearly looked further into Mongolia - I'd started researching it when the ACT idea came up. Then I had the idea of the two add-ons and it began to look more interesting. But what after that? It's a long way, expensive, and I had a heap of leave to use. Someone, somewhere on the net, mentioned Disko. I looked further - and very, very quickly became hooked. Look at GE for instance. Then read up on the icefjord, the 20 million tons of ice released each day, the UNESCO designation.

It was clearly going tobe an interesting trip, but one perhaps close to the edge of my comfort zone? How can one tell? There's precious little info out there. On that, the BMC wouldn't insure me - and there's not even a Lonely Planet guide availablenow!

In reality, the ACT was lovely. Not fantastically majestic or grand, but there'sa special peace and remoteness about it. The warmth (ish) of the water was a real bonus too - quite a surprise. Rarely was there any wind of note so even if temps dropped, it was relatively warm. I might have been lucky on the ACT but the strength of thebeefed upAkto was not needed there. But I was very glad of it on Disko, its reassurance.

I'd given PBs quite some thought, what I'd do if one arrived. But I realised afterwards, I'd not considered enough my reaction to seeing one say a few miles away. They can smell prey at 30 km. The chance was very small indeed, but as I was going somewhere where others don't go, the chance of a bear being around and unspotted was obviously much greater. The shooting of one some 300 km further south only 3 months before I arrived was, well, er, unsettling! But we're all going to snuff it one day, I told myself, and there are worse places to go than here.

Übermensch

Hi Rob

Love the new pics you've posted onFlickr. Wouldn't mind one or two asprints. Will get round to reading the latest part of your TR. You could write a guide with your experience!

Übermensch

Thanks, CR! It is lovely doing all this, the write up, the descriptions on the photos etc. really preserves the memories. Re guide, I'd be more than happy to help anyone who might consider such a trip. They'd never forget it - tho I suppose the fact that I'd been there alreadywould reduce the experience a little. But hopefully others might be inspired? It is just so very different to the usual stuff.

Übermensch

Hi Rob

I've readthe last part of your TR. Really enjoyed reading about your trip. The places you visited seem so remote.I've saved the linkto your Flickr photos in my Favourites- I think . Cheers

Übermensch

CR, I'm veryflattered! Which is your favourite?

I think any picture with icebergs in it is great... but if you go there expecting to see exactly the same thing... it'll have changed!

Übermensch

Hi Rob

It is a pleasure to see all your photos as they show different contrasts of landscape towns? and wildlife.Good to see the small tent against the huge landscape.There are quite a few I really like for different reasons.

I thinkmy ultimate favourite is the iceberg insunset or sunrise? 0128? I also like the huts, the husky dugs,the harebells n bergs, the birds on a berg,the berg with what looks like cloud sitting on the sea-0177, 057?- hills reflecting in the water.. 0971 looks like crystals reflecting in the water. Not sure what was on the ground in the pic with your boot in it.

I wouldn't expect to see the exactly the same viewsif I went as landscapes, weather and light change all the time.

Übermensch

Hi CR. Thank you! The boot shot was of the 'mattress' as it's known on Disko (at least), the really deep, dry, soft moss, with other things growing in it. Very tiresome to walk in, and common on the lower ground in manyplaces. Above about 250 m or so, it is very much less frequent. It blankets everything and certainly on the 7thday as I followed the coast east, trapped between thefjord and the cliffs above, I got a bit hacked off with it and admit to low-ish spirits, briefly, in the very light rain. On this section, I found nowhere which would have taken a tent for many km (unless one had pegs of at least 45 cm length), but once onto the ridge/fault easier band, it was ok, and I was able to camp where I'd planned.

0971, the gull reflections, is just ice which had broken away from the main berg. This was small, but bigger break-ups can give a lots of small pieces. When this happens out at sea, the small pieces then drift away faster than the parent berg (which is its own sea-anchor), so you get a sort of stream of ice down-current. I saw this several times, accompanied with a bit of a bang!

Übermensch

I have added a few more notes to the pics, BTW.

Übermensch

Hi Rob

Thanks for explaining about the "mattress" moss- couldn't quite make out what it was. I bet walking through that kept you fit. Aye I've seen the pics. Cheers