Thread: Compact Sleeping Bag

Widdler

Since I got some great advice when looking for a tent to meet my needs thought I'd post here before venturing online and losing another few hours of my life ........

I can't afford to bust the bank so open to good condition 2nd hand bags, links to any crackin bargains online or recommendations.

I'm 6'2, and pretty broad across the chest and shoulders. The bag will be used Apr-Sep in Scotland two or three times a year. Generally I prefer a warmer bag so thinking 400 - 600 down or equivalent synthetic.

Budget wise, the lower side of £100 would be great although I appreciate I may need to push up a bit over that to get something half decent.

All advice very welcome as this is relatively new territory for me.

Many thanks

Graham

Goon

Was considering this as a Winter bag for the Mrs. Very light weight for a 4 season bag, just unsure of actual pack size.

http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products...FY_ItAod9BsApA

Or this onehttp://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ultralite-1300-p292610But I think the Vango bag warmth tests was done in 2002

Widdler

Thanks Fox160 - nice price on the ultralite 1300, just not sure about the size for me "max user height 190cm" no room to stretch for me! The Force ten looks pretty good though - states pack size 40x21cm /13.9 litres so not the smallest pack size but still pretty good for me.

Many thanks for taking the time to suggest these

Goon

Hi Gell68 I have to say regarding the Vango Bags I have found them to be a little close as I am 6ft tall with a 45chest and as a synthetic bag I bought the Mammut that has just the right amount of space for movement and to keep the bag warm.

Regarding The Force Ten Give the shop a call and ask if they can compress the bag and give you the dimensions. As the weight of this is very close to a down bag

Other than that this is a Minus 5 rating bag and with some thermals and a good matt should be a reserved Minus 7 baghttp://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammmut-...ng-bag-p263534

Widdler

Was just looking at very same!

Think I'll take a wee trip along to the shop. Friend recommended I give the Snugpak Softie Elite 4 a try or the Snugpak Travelpak 4. Both a bit heavier than your recommendations but seem to have decent dimensions and compression size.

Goon

The only problems for what I hear about the Snugpak's is that many complain of being cold even though not near the comfort of the bag. With a little bit of searching I found that the army use them but fully clothed, so expect to put your thermals on to reach the suggested comfort rating of the bag.

Scotland in April is bloody cold, it's fairly often snowing in the Cairngorms in when I've camped there in April, and you'll need a decent bag, i.e. fairly heavy and it wont be compact either, I know down is lighter and packs up smaller than sytnthetic but still... You'll need more than one bag or give camping in April / early May a miss. May can be cold as well, funny month May in Scotland it can be all over the place. Using the same bag in April as you'd use in July or August would make no sense at all. June September (well maybe not end of Sept.) a thinner lighter weight bag will do IMO. You haven't actually said what it is you're doing but as you've mentioned compact I assume backpacking rather than car camping.

Goon

Thats some sound advice you had given Luke. Luke what if you was to camp a little higher than Ground level ?

I'm not camping on top of Ben Macdui on rock just because there's a warm night forecast and my sleeping bag has a comfort temp of -5C I think I got that a bit arse about face just now, I should have said using the same bag in July or August as you'd use in April would make no sense, in that you'd be carrying around a heavier, bulkier and too warm bag. Well I know what I meant anyway.

Widdler

thanks Luke and yes we are backpacking not car camping. We've done a fair bit of car camping before and at some pretty high(ish) levels - Glencoe and the likes so well aware of the temperature drops at night and even bailed into the car previously!! Just wanted to drop a bit weight and bulk but take on-board exactly what you're saying - it's sage advice

Any recommendations of a decent bag that doesn't bust the bank - down or synthetic?

Widdler

what do you guys reckon to a Force 10 Altitude 1000 - reduced to £150 from £300?

‹bermensch

I've got a Snugpak Chrysalis Autumn bag which might be available and would definitely suit you dimensions-wise as it has a zip-open side panel to give you extra width. I think it is XL long too IIRC (220cm long?).

Here's some blurb from OMfrom when it was released. You can see in the second pic a light grey panel with a zip on each side: this is the expansion panel and you can decide whether to zip it closer in or zip it into a wider configuration if that makes sense.

Anyway if it sounds any good drop me a line and we can discuss further.

Widdler

Thanks Jinch, need to get one by Thurs so probbaly not enough time this time around but many thanks.

Goon

Before you buy I found this web site showing the coldest temperatures last night throughout the UK

https://metofficenews.wordpress.com/tag/cumbria/

Just changed my Montanna 3 for this baghttp://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammmut-...ng-bag-p263534It was easy to pack down to 30cm * 21cm for a synthetic bag.

Widdler

Ha! Had a better look at realised I would never need anything like the Altitude 1000. Went to Tiso today and was pretty disapointed with the range they had in. Didn't have time to hit Go Outdoors but reckon a trip along there is the answer. Nice bag and certainly a contender.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide recommendations

Widdler

Fox160 - went for the Mammut Jura and no regrets. Struggled to get it close to the claimed 29x21 when compressed though! Many thanks for your advice - appreciated.