Thread: After a new car camping tent

The missus and I are after a new car camping tent and are after some opinions. We did see the Terra Nova Etesian 4 and thought that suited the bill but after some of the comments in a previous thread about it I'm not so sure....

Either way, what we are after is:

Something roomy for 2 people (i.e. a 3 or 4 person sleeper)
    A bathtub-type inner
    Tall enough to stand up in

Thats pretty much the limit of my technical tent knowledge, so any recommendations are very much appreciated

"Tall enough to stand up in" is the difficult bit. I've got two three-berth tents, a Vango Sigma 300+ and a Vango Beta 350. Both are spacious enough for two but both are much too low to stand in.

What about a Quechua Base II pop-up like Teesdale Viking has got? Pictured below is at Great Langdale after the OM Coppermines YHA meet in March 2013 - it was the only tent on the entire campsite.

If its purely for car camping then I'd go for larger, like a vango Icarus 500 or similar.

Initiate

I'd go big, 5 or 6 man - if weight and boot space isn't an issue then having more room than you need does make life more comfortable. My car camping tent (for two adults and a kid, with guests optional) is a Kampa Croyde 8 and it's brilliant. I'd have a look at the 6 - solid design, robust (especially if you get a pair of storm tie down kits to go with), roomy and the porch is perfect for cooking and boot/outdoory storage as it's enclosed on three sides.

Kampa Croyde 8

I paid £350 for the 8 man, so there are deals out there if you shop around.

We have the gobi 4 man tent from gooutdoors, although they now have an updated version, the gobi elite. Apart from the colour, ours is blue, and the price, ours was £120, I don't see much difference but I can highly recommend it. A very good sturdy tent with loads of room.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-gobi-elite-4-tent-p286266

I have the bigger version of TV's tent the Quechua Base Seconds 4.2 that I'm looking to sell after only one weekend out with the missus that confirmed her hatred of camping! If your interested let me know- mates rates and i could bring it to Malvern. It is a stonking tent, pop up and down and quite funky

Funky that sure is

Just out of curiosity, could one of the sleeping areas be detached to create a larger living space?

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post

I have the bigger version of TV's tent the Quechua Base Seconds 4.2 that I'm looking to sell after only one weekend out with the missus that confirmed her hatred of camping! If your interested let me know- mates rates and i could bring it to Malvern. It is a stonking tent, pop up and down and quite funky

Blimey! Looks like a sort of squat pagoda. And 14kg you say? Do you take a couple of coolies to carry it to your pitch?

‹bermensch
    BPL are selling their huge Mids in their 'B' stock, cheap.
    Much as I hate to mention them, Terra ( greedy ) Nova have some sale stock.

Initiate
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post

And 14kg you say? Do you take a couple of coolies to carry it to your pitch?
    I really wish my car camping tent only weighed 14kg - mine comes in at 46kg without pegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post

Blimey! Looks like a sort of squat pagoda. And 14kg you say? Do you take a couple of coolies to carry it to your pitch?
    It's got rucksack straps on the bag and remember it's a CAR CAMPING TENT so there's usually no more than a couple of yards to cart it. Because its a pop up it's actually a really convenient shape for packing too - slots in atop all the other bitsnbobs

That Etesian actually looks quite decent if you want some headroom Dave

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/etesian-4-tent-used-grade-b/

Having seen TVs tent I must say...(despite being a lightweight obsessive)....that it was a very comfortable looking residence...

...if a little over-decorated

Mini Goon

I'm a backpacker by preference but recently managed to persuade the wife to give camping a go. Comfort was critical to this being a success and a large tent a key component of that.

I eventually went for the Vango Isis 500 which is just an up-versioned Icarus. For two people, it is extremely comfortable without being ridiculously large. We can get a queensize double-height airbed in the bedroom with room left for clothes and personal kit. The living area accommodates us comfortably sitting on chairs around a table with a couple of guests if we want. I'm 6' 2" and can stand up in it with room to spare.It pitches as one and I can put it up myself in about 15 minutes from start to finish. Taking it down and packing away is also a breeze.

I've only had it out twice - a week on Skye and 4 days at Ardnamurchan - and haven't yet seen how it holds up to a real hammering from the weather. The strongest wind we had was upper end of force 4 and it barely flinched though. So far I'm very pleased with it.

Some helpful tips here. It will be helpful for my next trip. Although, I need to solve my car issues before this trip. I just bought an Autel MX808 scanner https://obd2scanners.org/autel/maxicom-mx808-review/ and will diagnosis using this tool. After that, I will be ready for the tour.
    Last edited by cikron; 15-01-2019 at 01:39 PM.