Thread: Water filters

Mini Goon

Hi all

I was going to purchase a travel tap for water supply in the hills , but I remembered

a thread from here someone had put there inline filter in there water bladder feed.

i have a 3 litre platypus has any one put an inline filter in one . My main concern that the water pressure and sucking will draw the water through the filter so you can drink on the move

cheers

john

The Sawyer mini-filter (SP128) with in-line adaptor (SP110) may well be just what you're looking for. I use one of these simple, highly effective and seemingly robust filters in several ways.The filter easily works by gravity movement of water, or by squeezing or sucking it through so don't worry about flow-rates. I must admit I don't use my filterinline with my 1.8L Platypus hydration system, but there's good reason for that.

I favour my hydration system being filled only with "good" water (ie; already filtered or treated stuff) at all times. That way, there's no need for an inline filter because the bladder only ever has "good" water in it and all the immediate drinking components are always free from contaminants or any likelihood of cross-contamination.

If a filter needs to be fitted inline on a hydration system, this suggests that the feed bladder contains contaminated water. Yes, an inline filter would deal with this and allow safe drinking but if the filter becomes blocked there is no safe water in the bladder to back-flush the filter with. Similarly, if an inline filter starts to leak and has to be removed then the Sawyer in-line adaptor would allow this, but that would mean the previously clean section of hose and the bite valve gets connected to a bladder of contaminated water when the inline filter is removed. In either case of problems with the inline filter - blockage or failure - the only water left available for use will be the unclean stuff.

To counter this possibility, I retain a spare 2L Platypus bladder solely for use as a dirty-water receptacle. I fill this from the "raw" water source then thread the Sawyer filter input side directly to that bladder spigot. The clean water from the filter output then goes into the 1.8L clean-water hydration system bladder, or any other clean-water-only receptacle. Clean and dirty water and equipment is thereby kept separate so no cross-contamination, and a supply of clean water is available for filter back-flushing should it get blocked in the decanting process. With the SP128 filter, Sawyer do supply a 1L bladder that could be used as a dirty-water container (or a clean water one), but it's a pain having to refill this several times in order to filter enough water to fill a bigger clean-water bladder in the hydration system.

The Sawyer SP110 in-line adaptor is useful in another way. I've knocked up a short section of hose that will fit between the output tap on a 5L flexible water carrier and the Sawyer SP110 adaptor input spigot. That way I can camp some distance from water but by filling the 5L bladder for filtration back at camp, I only have to make one journey to have more than ample water for an extended stop, plus enough to fill the hydration system ready for the next day's hike without having to go back to the water source to do so before setting off.

‹bermensch

I use the Sawyer mini and it's great.

Robin Scherbatsky

what can you cay aboutno-frills pitchers? are they good?i'm going to live this summer in the trailer and want to try it. or maybe it would be better to usea faucet water filter? Can you share your experience, please? Do you know any really good models?

thank you in advance for help!

Denny Vanson
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Scherbatsky View Post

what can you cay aboutno-frills pitchers? are they good?i'm going to live this summer in the trailer and want to try it. or maybe it would be better to usea faucet water filter? Can you share your experience, please? Do you know any really good models?

thank you in advance for help!

I thinkthe easiest way is to choose a no-frills pitcher. they'reconvenient in use

look here a review on them
    <a href='http://water-filters.bestadvisor.com/' target='_blank' rel='nofollow'>
    http://water-filters.bestadvisor.com/

http://water-filters.bestadvisor.com/