Thread: Weather Warning Peak District: To walk or not to walk?

Widdler

Evening All,

I was planning a circular 15 mile walk tomorrow from starting out from Old Glossop up Doctors Gate and over Beaklow etc.

I've checked MWIS and the weather warning seems serious, but then it covers the whole of the Peak and Yorkhsire Dales...

Localised forecasts on BBC/Met for Glossop seem much less severe but still carry a warning underneath. I suppose the main issue is the difficulty in predicting where the bad weather will hit and the difference in exposure between the 'BBCs Glossop' and up on the tops of Bleaklow etc.

Now assuming I'm a responsible adult, that can navigate, carrying sensible provisions... Should I head out or not?

And is there anywhere else I can get more info to help me decide?

Your call only you should make.
    Met office mountain forcast.

Don't know where you're at but if you get any of the weather we've had over Sheffield today (which wasn't as bad as tomorrow's forecasted weather) then it'll make for a pretty miserable walk.

Personally i'd do something else, maybe a route with escape points to various pubs and leave the bleaker stuff for steadier weather.

Widdler

Cheers Diddi. I suppose what I was hoping for was not a decision more a case of how likely is a weather warning to be become severely bad weather... I thought more exeprienced folk might see these all the time and have a better feel for what is/isn't likely or know how to find more info out etc.

I live in a world where everytime it rains on my commute the operators play a looped announcement that platforms may be slippery, and where coffee shops warn me that my coffee may be hot... Inevitibly it makes me cynical

Thanks for the tip too, Met Office forecast looks much less ominous (if wet) for an early morning walk.

Widdler

ShoutsAtQuietMice I like your thinking!

Goodness knows I don't remember this many weather warnings being normal for summer, but then maybe we've just had some surprisingly nice summers. Some of them do seem to denoting the chance of localised heavy (thunder?) storms which aren't fun to be in of course but not so bad if relatively short.

Looking at the met office specific forecast for Bleaklow, one thing which would put me off a bit is that the visibility (down near the bottom) doesn't seem forecast to be very good a lot of the time.

Looks a fair chance of thick hill fog and driving rain which is unfun. Not a huge problem as such if on properly good paths - like those all of the paved things up there - obviously likely to need an appetite to suffer If on sketchier navigation then goodness knows.

The Dark Peak isn't that well provided with really nice low level stuff but I guess there's a fair bit in the white peak which might be nicer.(With walking in the N Pennines quite a bit last couple of years, those met office summit specific forecasts do seem to be surprisingly accurate.).

One of the hardest things for me is changing a planned and looked forward to route. But you have to sometimes don't you, even though it is a bit gutting. We've all been there. Bleaklow isn't going anywhere.

Then again. If you know 100% you have the nav skills and like a challenge then why not.

As Dids says, only you can make the decision really, based on a true assessment of yourself.

Übermensch

Weather forecasts are always accurate. It's just that the weather changes in the mean time !

Übermensch

I always practice the age-old maxim 'If in doubt, don't' and it has served me well. I'm probably a dull and unadventurous fellow (in fact I know that I am!) but in umpteen years of walking and backpacking, I've never had to call on the rescue services. I've experienced some appalling weather when backpacking but I rarely struggle on and prefer to pitch my tent and while away the time with a good book until the weather improves.

In your boots, I'd either walk on another day or, as Martin has suggested, head for the White Peak. Walking in the rain and wind in attractive lowland countryside is much more enjoyable than bog-trotting in far worse conditions when visibility is so limited that you won't be able to enjoy the scenery.

Hugh

I grow old...I grow old, I shall wear the bottom of my trousers rolled. T.S. Eliot

Übermensch

Just seen this so I guess he has made his mind up one way or the other.

If you cannot see the tops I don't go. I also fear looking into the SAR teams faces and wonder what I would say when they ask 'Didn't you see the forecast`

Widdler

Widdler
    I stayed home like a good boy and did my chores instead... Chomping at the bit now for next weekend though! Thanks for your input everyone.

Probably the right choice. It's been awful out there today.