Thread: Looking to get some new gear? any help?

Widdler

I plan on going on a lot of camping trips in the coming months, and I'm looking for a sleeping bag and a backpack that's going to hold up for long hikes.

Is military gear the best way to go? There is some really durable army gear and I like the style of it, but I haven't bought a pack or a sleeping bag in a while, so there might be a better option out there.

I found some Goarmy site that has decent prices, plus their mummy bags and highlander packs look decent. Anyone shop there before? I've made the mistake of getting cheap sleeping bags before, and I never got that great of sleep because of it.

The one I have now is horrible in the fall, when it cools down, and I already had to patch it up a couple times. Oh, and what's better‚?¶ external frame backpacks or internal? I can never decide.

I don't know‚?¶ give me some suggestions so that I can get into some good camping this summer.

Many people get by fine using military gear, but it is relatively heavy, if cheap.

I guess it boils down to what you'll be doing. Personally i'd rather spend a bit more and enjoy the walk in to a camp, rather than feel like a mistreated transport mule, but if you can carry heavier stuff without your spine collapsing then why not.

There is no right and wrong when it comes to 3 season Uk wild camping.

SAQM - it's an advert.

realy Nick?l Aprettyopaqueone.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/members/jasonjason/chat/

Jason. Ifyougaveyrbudgetand usage andcriteriaforthegearyouwillgetmorespecificrespons es.

Arucksack needstofitwellsoneedstryingbeforebuying. criteria :usage,capacity,weightlimit.

Asleepingbagneedstowarmenoughandfit.

criteria:comfortrating ¬įC.weight.Filling -downorsynthetic.

Inmyexperience,Highlandsgearis just OKforentrylevelstufforoccasionaluse. I have had s. bags and seen packs with our Scouts.

Ifnotwalkingmilesthepacksareok.Buttherearemuchbett erdesignedaround. Thesleepingbagfillings (synthetic )didn'tstayloftyforlongintheonesourkidshad.

I think so Mole, given that he has included the goarmy link in his signature.

ah.sorry Nick. Idon'tseesignaturesinmyphone!Isitonallhispoststhen ?

Yes.

Ah. Don't see signatures on my laptop either (Win 7/Chrome) .

Will try Firefox on the office PC .

edit.No I won't

there is an option in Forum settings to hide/show signatures - I had it set to hide!

Now I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjason View Post
    The one I have now is horrible in the fall
    Yanks. Spring forward and Autumn back, or something like that.

Is spam the best way to go, or corned beef maybe so you can also optionally make a corned beef hash with it? Sometimes I take it out the tin and put it in a sealed bag, no empty tin in my rubbish bag then with a nasty sharp edge on it. I've even emptied a tin of baked beans into a plastic bag before as well, that was weird, and was worried about it splitting/leaking in my pack and covering my gear in baked beans, that'd be nice.

No worries Mole

masterluke, corned beef and baked beans is very comforting at the end of the day. Or the beginning come to that.

Widdler

For budget backpacks I'd recommend brands like Vango and Quechua over highlander. I like highlander's smaller bags for the mix of durability, practicality and price but on their bigger bags (50L) I hear the stitching can be very dubious and occasionally I hear reports of the frame tearing out the inside etc etc. Bags like the Vango Contour seem to enjoy much better reviews for a similar price tag. Alternatively, Osprey bags aren't that expensive and are far superior to military bags in terms of comfort etc etc.

In contrast, I love the highlander sleeping bags. Generally, with sleeping bags you can pick two of the following three things: low weight/ pack size, low cost, warmth. Highlanderbags tend to be about warmth and low cost but high weight. I have a challenger 400which is a monster bag (2.5kg and a ridiculous pack size) that suits me down to at least -10 (was toasty at -7), but my main backpacking sleeping bag is a Highlander Phantom 250 (thus far untested in proper cold but rated -5/-10 extreme). I wouldn't recommend military sleeping bags for long backpacking trips.

Overall, while I'd say military gear is fine (and durable for the price), generally (especially with sleeping bags and rucksacks) from my experience you can do better with civilian gear for a similar price and a much lower weight (although, to be fair, military gear just will not break). Essentially though, the choice is yours. And always try before you buy.

Hope I helped a bit.

Widdler

Edit:

I think he's just asking if anyone hasshopped there using his signature, not actually promoting the site itself.

Would seem a peculiar advert if he is.

Widdler

No, it's not an ad. I am just wondering because it's coming up to summer shortly and I will be doing a lot of hunting (poaching) mainly. hehehe.

Would you guys recommend getting a used army surplus type bag or just go new? I've had a look on that site and they've got the U.S modular sleeping bag. Have heard only good things about that.

Just after some good advice.

Cheers,

Jason

‹bermensch
    I've never heard of it - I'd check out GoOutdoors if I were you.

Mini Goon

Poaching you say? What will you be hunting? Do tell.

Widdler

Ah good to hear so

Well if they have what you want no reason not to give them a go. The one thing to bear in mind when buying surplus bags isyou don't know how they've been stored. If a bag is stored compressed in a storehouse someplace for ages and ages the insulation will have de-lofted a bit and the bag may have become less warm. Might be worth giving them a ring.