Thread: How Much Extra

I am planning to walk the GR10 from Hendaye to Banyuls sur Mer next year. How much more kit would you expect to carry for a 6 - 7 week walk over say a 1 week walk.

I intend to wild camp 5 nights a week when possible and use a camp site or B &B one or two nights.

I have gathered a selection of kit lists and have collected the gear together based on these.. Most of these lists appear to be for about a weeks trek. Should I be allowing more gear.

At present the pack minus cooking pot, first aid kit, camera ,water weighs in at 22lb so I am guesstimating that the pack will end up at 30lbs-ish

Any advice gratefully received.

Initiate

what are you carrying already to come to that weight?

The only two things "extra" for more than a week that I would carry would be a travel clothes line and a few pegs so to do a spot of washing and drying. Fuel and food I would aim to stock up on in transit.

Paddy Dillon will be the font of all knowledge...mortals to Paddy, mortals to Paddy, are you receiving?

My opinion, once you're up to a week or anything longer, the kit you carry generally doesn't need to change much (my longest continuous trek was 3 weeks, so not quite GR10 scale, but long enough). You're going to be resupplying food and fuel, and washing clothes from time to time, so plan your resupply schedule and don't carry any more spares than you would for a week.

What might cause you to carry a bit extra is your regular brushes with civilisation, compared with a 100% wild camping trip, although that depends on your attitude. What are you happy wearing on a campsite or in a B&B, or if you decide to eat out? Is it worth carrying some lightweight clothes to keep clean and presentable, or alternative footwear (none of which has to weigh very much, and all of which can be outdoor wear that will function on the trek if needed)?

Other than that, I'd only be looking at carrying more of anything I couldn't readily resupply on the route e.g. contact lenses, any personal medication, any specific unusual batteries, absolute favourite treat foods.

And then there are maps - a full set for GR10 will weigh a bit if you plan to carry them all at the outset. But you could buy them along the way, or go electronic.

Hope it all comes off and you have a great walk.

Matt, thanks. Your experience reinforces what I had been thinking but not having backpacked for decades things have moved on and it's really helpful to hear from someone who has more recent experience.

The last timeI backpacked tents weighed a ton, there was no lightweight gear and tons of stuff just hung on the outside of the rucksack.

Matt ,where was your 3 week trek?

‹bermensch

The GR10 passes through many villages giving the opportunity to stock up frequently (except in the Ariege but you are going to be superfit by then). The only items you are likely to need above a 1 week trip are things such as toothpaste,soap, water sterlisation etc which you may not be able to buy in small quantities.

Pedro, thanks. All this extra info info is very reassuring and does confirm some of the info I have managed to get from various online diaries and blogs.

Hi Jim, my 3 weeks was on Corsica - two weeks doing the GR20 (quite a long time ago, before you could resupply at the huts), followed by a few more days travelling around and walking bits of the other trails near Corte. The need to carry most of our food for 2 weeks was a good incentive not to take many extras in terms of kit and clothes... but then again a lot of coastal Corsica caters for pretty well-heeled tourism, so you don't really want to spend the entire trip in a single smelly-helly top either!

Mostly agree with the above; I did five weeks last summer and carried around the same as for a weekend backpack - the real exception being a six day food resupply at one point.

I also carried a knife which was not normal for me, and had some other stuff that I could get if I wanted as I mailed it down the trail to myself.

Edit. Base weight was around 6kgs.

Matt, Ed, thanks for the info. I have a 45+ 10 lowe alpine pack which takes all the main gear but will not be large enough once i add cooking gear, food and gas.

I'm borrowing a Karrimor 75 ltr next week and will try all the gear in that. My plan is then to do a couple of long weekends trying out theweight and bulk.

i am going to the Pyrenees for 2 weeks in June, i usually just do day walks there based from a mobile home on a campsite but this time will try out all the stuff with a 2 or 3 day outing onpart of the GR 10.

The maps really will need attention. One or two are weightless but a linear 5 week walk could potential give you an awful lot of them when you do start to notice.

Maybe they can be brought on the way or in advance and posted/held waiting for you or something.

Absolutely, poste restante is the way to go.

We are all different but 75 litre pack and in excess of 15kg weight is hard.

There are 2 of us doing the walk, we have between us the whole route in sections on a gps, we have the original "walking the pyrenees" book whichis in english and has all the maps, and a tablet with memory map and the route plotted( for emergency use).