Thread: Backpack harness carry system thingy

‹bermensch

I'm looking for something to do exactly what the lovely lady above is doing: carrying a rolled-up inflatable kayak using shoulder straps.

The one above is, unfortunately, built into the boat (Sevylor) so I can't buy one of those.

Basically it needs to be a backpack harness with a couple of long buckled straps that can wrap round the boat.

Does anyone have any thoughts on something from the outdoors world that would do this? It would need to carry something about the same size as the one in the pic.

I realise I could probably cobble something together but time and sewing skills are against me.

An old style frame rucksack, then just take the sack off and use the frame.

‹bermensch

Paradox Evolution carry frame, weighs only 1 kg....

Ultra King

IIRC army surplus do something very modular that might work out. You get straps with webbing I think then add various bag modules but webbing straps and you can attach the boat.

I am only suggesting army surplus stuff because I vaguely remember something that could suit your needs. Either a rucksack based carry system or webbing lower down. I really don't know exactly what the surplus kit looks like though.

Alice pack frame or ULA Epic? One is a lot pricier than the other. Or this one .

Initiate

second an old framed backpack and take the pack off. Last time I saw one it was in an army surplus store for a few £.

Initiate

here you go - £15.

http://www.militarymart.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=2319

Initiate

if you're short on time (sounds like you are) then surely you just need an empty large-ish rucksack and two short lengths of rope or webbing tape?

Tie each rope to where the waist belt joins the rucksack base, then round and over the boat, and then tie them on where the chest straps join at the top? In each case the rope will go through the little triangle of airspace between the attachment point and your body.

The weight of the boat (I know, I've got one) will squash the rucksack flat, and the rucksack will provide a bit of welcome padding.

The only thing to think about is whether the pack you use is tough enough to carry the load.

Initiate

Or just get something cheap like this, hack off the compartment and lid to just leave the back system / harness/ belt, and find rope / webbing x 2 as above, to tie on? No sewing required, just ten violent minutes with a pair of scissors or knife.

Ultra King

That sack in Mike's link looks like the straps on the bottom section could extend over the base. My ancient karrimor sacklike that had straps as described. If the lower straps are taken out of the buckles fixed too the bottom front of the base they might be looking enough to fasten into the lid quick release buckles. If thatis possible then with the flattened sack there might be enough strap length to hold the boat. The photo in the op looks like it has a rucksack lid running down to the quick release straps. Perhaps this is what they did in the photo.

One of these is the way to go....the wheel turns....

Quote Originally Posted by ed h View Post

One of these is the way to go....the wheel turns....

Very retro. ,and expensive, and 'over there'

Check out the local charity shops to see if there are any 1970/80's originals of those to be had ?? (Sorry I dumped mine many years ago)

The Lomo 60L drybag backpack might fit your boat inside, it's quite a narrow opening so it depends how tight you can roll up your inflatable. The back system is removable so you could probably adapt it with a few lengths of webbing and just use the dry bag in your boat. It's only £21 so not biggy if it doesn't work out ..

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/ru...rucksacks.html

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post

Never got round to answering Jinch's query - there is an external pocket behind the back panel on many Osprey rucksacks eg the Talon 33. Latest models are designed to exactly fit an Osprey bladder, but I use a Source bladder in mine with no problem.

NB the Source bladder is easy to fill as it is the widepac type and has a detachable hose - so I find this no less convenient than a bottle to fill. See

http://sourceoutdoor.com/hydration-s...1-widepac.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

The Lomo 60L drybag backpack might fit your boat inside, it's quite a narrow opening so it depends how tight you can roll up your inflatable. The back system is removable so you could probably adapt it with a few lengths of webbing and just use the dry bag in your boat. It's only £21 so not biggy if it doesn't work out ..

http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/ru...rucksacks.html
    Unfortunately it ends up in more of a rectangle, like my lovely assistant is demonstrating in the pic. Pretty difficult to roll into a smallish size.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyjc View Post

Check out the local charity shops to see if there are any 1970/80's originals of those to be had ?? (Sorry I dumped mine many years ago)
    I've got a bid in on one on eBay with what looks to be a folding base plate. It ends today so we'll see if I get it.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by Tall PC View Post

The photo in the op looks like it has a rucksack lid running down to the quick release straps. Perhaps this is what they did in the photo.
    That's a bit of an optical illusion, PC. The grey bit is a small bow or stern spray deck attached to the boat. The backpack element is just straps - you might be able to figure it from this:

Can you fold/roll the kayak up even a little bit smaller? If you can, you might be able to get it inside a Big Army Bergan -120 l.

Ultra King

Aren't the bergans that capacity with all their pockets, the main sack is not quite that big.

If you wanted I am sure Aiguille Alpine could make something for you. Based in Staveley they do custom mods on all their sack range. Got a sack made with a back length especially long for me. They have made a long sack for someone 6'9" I think so perhaps they could make something for you that could hold the boat. They are bombproof sacks but by picking the fabrics you can lower the weight.

http://www.tatonka.com/Products/Back...stenkraxe/1130

Or Adrian at Aiguille, as Tall PC says. I've been using one of their rucsacs since before Xmas; off to Lakes tomorrow carrying two people's kit in it.