Thread: Replacement bulb for Tikka xp2 core headlamp?

Mini Goon

Does anyone know where to get these? Can't find any online for some reason and also wondering if the bulbs for the xp2 are the same bulbs as the xp2 core uses although i presume it will be?

Cheers.

Mini Goon

https://www.lyon.co.uk/outdoor/

They are the UK distributor for Petzl and would be my first port of call.

Mini Goon

Ok cheers for that. I've emailed them.

‹bermensch

LED 'bulbs' usually have a 50,000 hour lifespan, i.e. they never normally need replacing..

They are also incredibly tough and very difficult to break

Usually when an LED torch/head torch fails it is the driver or the connectors that are the problem.

First step is normally to clean the contacts and check the connectors.

Mini Goon

Depending on the price on them I may not even bother after the last post. My logic was to abandon taking a lantern kind of light and just take headtorch with spare bulb & batteries incase the unlikely thing of the bulb blowing happens.

‹bermensch

led's don't blow.....

‹bermensch

Exactly. About the only way you can destroy an LED in normal use is to use the wrong batteries and burn it out through overheating.

And even then it will normally be the circuit that will go rather than the LED.

And most are designed to tolerate a fairly wide voltage range so you have to do something daft like stick a few 4.2 volts Li-ion cells in instead of 1.5v alkline before that will happen.

Very high powered LED head torches (which the XP2 isn't) can have their LED life reduced by excessive use of the highest mode without allowing the torch to cool after it has stepped down, but even then it is unlikely to fail, just last 20,000 hours rather than 50,000.

Just to clear up any confusion. LED headlamp bulbs are effectively lifetime fitments. You can, theoretically, change them - people have upgraded LEDs in the past - but you'd need to dismantle the headlight then de-solder the old bulb and solder in a new one and even then, using a different LED may not be compatible with the original circuitry and controller.

As above, any issues with modern LED torches are likely to be down to broken wiring, loose connections or corrosion - most headtorches are water resistant rather than waterproof - the LED itself is pretty resilient.

Initiate

In the unlikely event of the LED blowing I doubt it's user replaceable. If you are worried about your torch breaking take something like a Petzl eLite as a backup.

Initiate

It is possible to modify LED torches (see candlepower forum for details) but, unless you are skilled and quite determined it isnt worth starting and, as for an in-the-field process - nah I dont think it would be desirable even if possible.

I carry an ebay special headtorch as a spare (actually, I carry an ebay special as my main one as well) as the torch plus batteries are both smaller and lighter than a spare set of batteries for an old torch.

‹bermensch
    Again they don't blow... It ain't a light bulb or even halogeen, it's a LED