Thread: Anyone using the Garmin GPSMAP 64st?

Looking to buy either a 64s or a 64st, not to bothered about the extra internal memory the ST has over the S, so 95% sure i'll go for the S, only other difference is the ST comes with a "Recreational map of europe 1:10k"

Have looked around but i can't find any details on this map so i'm wondering:

a/ How detailed it is?

b/ Does it cover Greece?

‹bermensch

1:10.000 is very very detailed I really don't believe such a map exists with whole of europe available.Most countries have only 1:25K as most detailed info. I've seen such a map in the illegal circuit. It clearly states that the most detailed scale is 1:100.000and some countries are even less detailed. Greece was in that package (not sure which scale however). If you do a google search on that map you'll find a link to the illegal circuit.

Thanks Zuma,

Aye i'm sceptical especially as the electronic mapping in Greece is extremely poor.

Had my head set on a 64s so put in a very low offer on a 64st more to put my mind at rest than anything else, seller ended up accepting the offer, so i have a 64st on the way to me for a little more than a 64s sells for

Annoying thing now is the OS maps on my Edge 705 are not transferable to the 64st

Living in Greece i've really come to feel thankful how great OS have been for proving such fantastic services for us outdoors enthusiasts, i never begrudged paying for maps before, now even less so.

I think in this instance though i will do some searching to see if there are any way i can transfer the maps and still get them to work, hate doing it but it sucks having to spend £76+ on maps i already have.

‹bermensch
    If those are topomaps on your nuvi it should be possible to transfer them. However it involves unlocking the img files which is considered by Garmin as an illegal action. But such software is findable for those who persist. Noeman.org

Quote Originally Posted by Zuma View Post
    If those are topomaps on your nuvi it should be possible to transfer them. However it involves unlocking the img files which is considered by Garmin as an illegal action. But such software is findable for those who persist. Noeman.org

Thanks mate.

99.9% of the time i'd just buy the map, but as i already have already purchased both the paper maps of the area and a electronic version on another device i'll be buggered if i'll pay again.

I purchased some GPS software for my first smartphone must be 6 years ago, the developer made it so the software is transferable to my new phones, so i've not had to purchase it again with every phone, Garmin/OS should do something like this.

‹bermensch
    Quote Originally Posted by gix gixerson View Post
    I purchased some GPS software for my first smartphone must be 6 years ago, the developer made it so the software is transferable to my new phones, so i've not had to purchase it again with every phone, Garmin/OS should do something like this.

once an img file is unlocked it can be copied to anydevice that can work with Garmin img. files. Also when copied on an a (virtual)USB disk or a card and you put this into your computer and you can see those img maps in basecamp. However sometimes a flag needs to be set if the img files isn't being seen by basecamp. So if someone wants to see his purchased image file in basecamp search how to change that flag. I think that is not an illegal action.