Thread: PHD Hispar 700 vs ME Iceline

Widdler

I had the Mountain Equipment Iceline for a while now and used it in Norway and Iceland for car-camping. It's an extremely warm bag (-12/-22/-44 rated). However it is reasonably heavy and doesn't compact much for backpacking.

I have recently bought a PHD Hispar 700 off ebay. From what I read, it is -27 rated. It is much lighter than ME Iceline, but I am not sure how does it compare with regards to warmth?

I need to sell one of these bags, so any recommendations/tips? Is hispar 700 as warm as ME Iceline (or better even)?

I would guess not as warm as the Iceline (which is heavier because of more filling, and it's not like ME are using bad down), but is that a bad thing?

I used to have an Iceline and I sold it because it was just too hot almost all of the time. In 7 years I got the zip done up all night on one occasion! Having said that, it was a very popular loan (and eventually sale) to friends who claimed to always be cold in sleeping bags, "the Toaster: excepted. I replaced it with a Lightline (550g filling against 950) and that's been good enough to snow-hole in Norway.

If it's car camping you can just add extra blankets. For backpacking, are you a cold sleeper or going out often in serious cold?

Pete.

Widdler

I am a pretty cold sleeper. I haven't used the ME for backpacking yet - I have a rab neutrino endurance 400 as well. Coldest I have been in backpacking was last easter I suppose when we had that cold spell - and I was just warm enough with down jacket + rab bag on Glyders...

The PHD has significantly more down than a Neutrino 400 though, so it ought to be quite a lot warmer.

The pals that borrowed my Iceline were cold in May/June, nice weather, sea level and mid-range bags!

Pete.

The hispar has non trivially better down than the Neutrino 400 too. I wouldn't be that surprised if the Hispar 700 was relatively close to the iceline warmth wise. Check how the loft compares I guess.

(Down wise its probably ~950g @ ~750 (European) fill power vs ~700g @ ~900 European fill power, so a little more net loft in the iceline, but not dramatic amounts.).

I would say if you can't tell the difference when you are using it then there's nothing to worry about! I agree that the ME bag will probably be marginally warmer, but unless you use them both in identical conditions it is very hard to tell. This is compounded by PHD not doing temperature ratings that correlate with other manufacturers. If you were to pay me 100 I could give you a tog test for the bags - that would tell you which was warmer, but I guess that is a bit academic...

Which one fits you better? And which one is more comfortable? Does the zip jam on either bag? Do the build qualities vary significantly? Is the hood better on one of them? These points are arguably more important than the overall 'warmth' of the bag, which will only be of relevance when the bag is at its limit.

Widdler

I can't seem to find any proper technical information on hispar 700. The guy said it was 800 fill power down unlike the 900 listed on other hispars...

Those are some good points Mr Fuller. I'll have to try it to see how i fit. One problem I usually have with sleeping bags is cold air entering around shoulders. Will be interesting to see if phd is any better for me in that aspect.

Oh, probably a sale thing then so yes it could very well be 800fp down.

The numbers on PHD's aren't strictly fill weights so they might well have upped the net down fill vs a hypothetical 900 fill one etc so heavier but still as warm. Very hard to say. It will be very warm whatever.

Widdler

I have been playing around with it at home, comparing it with the ME Iceline.My Initial impression is that I can get a better cover around my neck with hispar compared to ME. And because it's longer, I can technically pull it over my face..

Goon
    Quote Originally Posted by Esen Tunar View Post

And because it's longer, I can technically pull it over my face..

But then aren't you going to suffer from uber-condensation in your expensive down bag?

Widdler

yea, that would be a last resort thing to be fair.