Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY laminated pocket maps

‹bermensch

I'm doing a charity walk in June in the Lakes (www.lakes24.co.uk) and rather than hoyk all my OS maps around I thought I'd scan the parts of the maps covering the route we're doing, cut them into credit card / iphone size sections, laminate them and thread them onto a keyring loop so I can flip through them as we go along.

Any other suggestions on creating a pocket version of the route on 1:25000 (on paper, not technology based )?

There's the toughprint plastic paper - thats waterproof, flexible, pretty strong etc. Like Harveys maps. Quite a bit less bulky than lamination.

Being boring, I'd also have to just suggest looking at the BMC mountain map of the Lakes. That might well cover the entire area you're doing and is much less bulky than an OS map.

(And weatherproof/hugely less bulky vs a laminated one.).

‹bermensch

Thanks Martin - I hadn't seen those before. Looks ideal.

Initiate

I've got a map of the welsh 3000s route that's cut from the full sheet OS. It's an odd shape with sticky out bits, a bit like I put an octopus through a mangle, but it folds nicely and takes up no room at all.

BMC mountain maps are brilliant and you could do the same to save laminating - cut out the two routes as wiggly strips leaving enough boundary either side for navigation and concertina / fold / roll up.

Mini Goon

When I print my own maps I generally print 25000 scale of the route I intend to walk, I then print 50000 scale of the surroundingson the reverse so I can cover alternatives in case of change of plan, emergency descents etc..

I don't bother trying too hard to keep the map dry. If one gets messed up I just print another. I use an inkjet printer with pigment based ink that doesn't run when wet.

Ithink credit card sized maps would be far too small. Maybe an A5comb bound booklet would work? Adjust the actual size to match your map pocket.

that route in 1:25000 in credit card sized laminates?

the pile would be about 6" thick!

I would just be nice to someone who has digital mapping, and get the route printed off in A4. I use an Ortlieb A4 document wallet - it rolls up easily or folds in 2 and goes in my coat pocket or trouser cargo pocket.

(or just use the Harveys map)

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

I print from 1:25k digital mapping onto double-sided A3 paper with a colour laser printer.

I then z-fold this (fold in half to give A4, then fold back each long side, leaving a 1mm gap to the initial fold, giving a long, narrow, 4-layer fold, and then finally fold that in half to give an A6-ish size). I store this in a pour'n'store pouch, which is robust and waterproof.

The 1mm gap left in the folding allows the map to be folded back on itself. Obviously, you need to remove the map from the bag in order to change the folding to reveal the bit you need, but you can reveal a fair chunk of terrain on two sides of A6.

This is easy to hold in the hand, or stuff into a jacket pocket; my DofE girls actually use the maps I provide for them like this...

Ideally, I'd find a bag of similar material and construction as the pour'n'store, but without the gusset, and to hold an A5 folded map; the gusset takes up quite a bit of room, and doesn't quite fit an A5 map. I'm still looking...

Either this (the 92g, size 20 version) or these any good? They've certainly got an excellent seal on them.

Might be either size of the ideal size though. Other sizes of those loksaks but nothing that close to a5.

‹bermensch

I think you'd lose a huge amount by going with credit card sizedmaps. Wouldn't you want to look around, to see what that tarn, that hill, that crag is? And what happens if you get lost or need to bail out? Maps that size, using only the narrow corridor would be very trying, IMO. Surely a large part of the fun in being in mountains is to be aware of everything around you? 'Tunnel vision'? Nah!

Harvey Maps (Mountain Maps) are brilliant!

Initiate

first call the BMC maps. take up much less room due to the plastic paper they are printed on than OS.

Second call, print the maps double sided onto A4 with a laser printer, either on waterproof paper or (I use) ordinary paper and large sealable sandwich bags

£11.25 for three plastic bags? Or £17 for one? Err... Thanks, but no thanks. I think pour'n'store bags are expensive at 10 for a quid... Don't forget that I'm handing these out to DofE groups, one per participant, and they will get lost, not to mention the initial outlay.

CP Where doyougetthemat 10/£1?

lakeland are 20/£5

Looks hard work - best of luck.

Personally I laminate into A4 double sided and fold into 4 so it's pocket sized. A little difficult to fold, but no real problems. The idea of 1:25,000 on one side and a larger area at 1:50,000 on the other is a good compromise over taking a full map.

Yes, that's a good idea, Zippy, I've sometimes done that when I want both some detail of my intended route and an idea of the broader area as well. Only I tend to do print outs on Toughprint instead of using the laminator these days, the sheets are easier to fold.

Poundland have them for... well... a pound. Not PolyLina ones, but very similar. There might only be 8 to a pack. The last batch I bought in Tesco, and weren't much more than £1, IIRC. Can't see them on Tesco website now, though. Or Sainsbury's. Or Wilko... Hmmmm....

May be time to ask PolyLina WTF is going on...

Oh, how about this for good timing:

Aldi pour & store bags, 8 for 79p

thanks CP. There is a new Aldi inthe nearest 'big' town - I'll pop in on Monday

No, I couldn't see them on Sainsburys site last time I looked either.

Oooo a trip to the village...you must be excited

that's nothing

Us's off to Kernow drekly

Kate
    You are right about the folding but I found that out after I bought a laminator and 100 pouches. At least my way I only laminate when I have a good print - I'd worry about wasting the paper (although I guess I could test print to pdf)

My main issue is not having the right map for a change of plan.

Aldi bags aren't as sturdy as genuine pour & store or Poundland copies. Similar construction, but thinner material.

I did pick up a couple of pairs of merino leggings for £2.50 each. For a 9-10 yr old. Fortunately, I know a 9-10 yr old skier...