Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes gear List

Übermensch

Wild camp virgin here - any advise on kit changes?

Vango Helium 100 fly, poles and a MYOG ground sheet - 900g

Granite Gear Virga Rucksack - 650g

GoLite Adrenaline 1 Season sleeping bag - 685g

Hyalite Peak Elite AC Sleeping mat - 330g

Ortlieb First Aid Kit - 200g

Montane LiteSpeed H2O WPB pant - 150g

Golite Malpais WPB jacket - 200g

Caldera Cone, Titan Kettle, Spork, X-Mug - 400g~

Packtowel Ultralite Medium - 50g?

Platypus Soft bottle - 40g

PHD Minimus Vest - 240g

Patagonia Micro-D pullover fleece - 200g

Spare polyester boxers - 50g

Montane Powerdry gloves - 40g

ID Primalid hat - 39g

Petlz Zipka torch - 80g

Silva Ranger compass - 33g

Buff (bright green TheRunningBug one ) 35g

Camera - 226g (not sure of case weight)

iPhone - 112g

What season do you plan camping in?

Will you camp in valleys or on more exposed ground?

Food?

Initiate

1 season sleeping bag? Do you sleep really warm? There's still snow in sheltered spots at the moment.

bare feet?

when you going? Soon?

I take it you haven't spent all day walking in pouring rain n wind then camped...

(IME I'd be uncomfortably cold n damp)

Übermensch

Nick - I'm hoping to be on "more exposed" ground I suppose. I want to wild camp so that I don't have to camp in the valleys anymore!

Both of you - that sleeping bag and a Prolite XS mat did me okay last March on the South Downs Way when there was snow on the ground. I do sleep warm, I have quite a high metabolism.

I was hoping to get up to the Lakes next month. 9th, 10th, 11th April takes my fancy at the moment!

Edit: Mole - I'll be wearing Terroc330's. Last March the SDW was windy (nothing new for a ridge), very rainy and poor visibility. I'm not saying I'm as experienced as any of you and I was rather miserable at moments until I finally got my tent up.

Looks like a good kit list to me Ben.

Personally i would go for a warmer bag, but you know yourself and how sleep.

Only things i carry extra are:

Sawyer Mini water filter

Sun block (i'm in Greece though)

Wet wipes (find them useful for both for toilet duties and a cat lick wash in the mornings)

Whistle (carry one all the time)

Knife (tend to take a Skeletool CX more often than not now days)

Mini Goon

How will you purify water?

Ultra King

I've got the golite 3 season quilt, same weight and down to -7°C. Also in xtra long and cost me £100 3/4 years ago. Get hot just open the side up. Get cold just add a clothing layer and the quilt has space to take say the down top without compressing more efficient quilt or the down top. A good mat is a must! Wish I'd picked up that £70 exped downmat a few years ago for winter/early season trips

Übermensch

Aha, I bought a sawyer mini a few weeks ago, I shall add that to the list! Well spotted gents.

Gix - I pondered on knives last night at work - I may just use my trusty 10 year old victorinox.

I think the pack has a whilst on the sternum - does that kind of thing suffice? I've never used it in anger! Failing that a lifesystems mountain whistle is at the bottom of a box somewhere from DofE.

Wet wipes - repackaged or do you just take a whole packet?

Sun block - anyone know a good way of repackaging bulk bought cheaper stuff to save weight and money? Or any well priced mini packets?

I'd have preferred a quilt TallPC and I'd love to order one from the States - I'm saving up for one! The sleeping bag has 300g of down which lofts really nicely. I picked it up for £70.

Sounds like you're sorted then.

Whistle is just for emergencies, any that are loud enough to guide SAR to you are good enough really.

Wet wipes - depends on how long i'm going for and where i'm going.

If i'm off somewhere where there is plenty of water then i'll leave a packet open so the towels dry out, i'll then stick in a resealable bag and just a couple of drops of water when needed.

Should say i bag them all and carry them out no matter what i've wiped with them, but then i bag both the dogs and my poop and carry it out as well.

I wouldn't worry about the sun block for a few months yet

Tend to take a full sized spray bottle with me when im hiking here in Greece, but then i'm a fair skinned blonde guy with hardly any hair

It is liquid though so just keep your eye out for a container the right size and transfer it.

Widdler

I was camping on Helvellyn this week and was very glad to have a four season sleeping bag. I tend to carry to much on wild camps but do enjoy the extra comforts latter on.

Sun block - anyone know a good way of repackaging bulk bought cheaper stuff to save weight and money? Or any well priced mini packets? Putting some in a film canister would save you carrying a big tube - before Boots went totally digital you coud ask at the photo counter and get some, not sure where you'd go now unles you already have one?[/QUOTE]

Ultra King

Ben

have you ever got the zip stuck on the adrenaline while you're inside it?

Ben.Iguessyouarea 'warm'persongivenyoursleepingbag.List Seemslowonwarm clothingtome. I'dwantsparesocksfortent. (and awindshirt.)Andwarmarms .

I'd add wetwipes, a map for that compass, forget the towel, add a spare pair of socks, a hip flask of something, maybe a book, chewing gum, I'd prefer a more powerful headtorch, whistle as already mentioned, and I ALWAYS carry a very lightweight pair of crocs or flip flops- a complete indulgent luxury if you've been putting in long days in boots. Wouldn't bother with a filter. I'd carry droplets or tablets at a push- never had any issues. Oh, and a Jetboil, spork and food.

Anyway- don't get too hung up on what to take and how much it all weighs. Just go out, enjoy, and refine for next time

Mini Goon

Drop the towel and if you're doing more than a night then add a pair of socks. In warmer weather I carry a Katadyn micro water filter. Sleeping bag wouldn't be enough for me but then again I feel the cold real bad. Another person in the tent would increase the temp a lot but I think that tent is a solo. The waterproofs are a little bit lightweight unless you are going only on a good forecast. Otherwise the list looks fine. Everybody has their own variations.

Goon

Part of the fun of backpacking is learning what you can & can't manage with & without, and what suits you for different conditions - it's called experience, and the only way to get it is to keep doing it.

Read accounts of other peoples' trips in the magazines and books, perhaps from your library. Some of the information will be a bit dated, but you will see how they managed, and pick up a few ideas

You've got to start somewhere. You can read all the specs, and plan & plan, but sooner or later you'll just have to go out and try it

Personally, I think a one season sleeping bag is a bit optimistic. You have obviously gone for very lightweight gear, but it would be worth carrying an extra couple of hundred grams or whatever to get something warmer. I have several friends who are very much into ultralight backpacking, doing things like TGO challenge, LEJOG, and their own routes & trips. They all use a 2 to 3 season bag, with RAB models being a popular choice

Mini Goon

I might prefer to replace the Minimus vest with a ultralight long sleeve down thingie. It would give you full windproof for camp, as suggested above. Maybe Golite Selkirk? Shaves off another 20 grams too. And since I'm looking for something like this myself - is there anything like it that would also breath very well (maybe adjusted armpit patches?) so I could use it at night if needed?

*edit: thanks for sharing this list by the way, it's helping me sort out my own spring kit, I'll be somewhere up north the same weekend

Übermensch
    200 weight merino leggings and long sleeve top added for sleeping in.
    I have a rab cirrus windshirt knocking about somewhere which I can throw in.

I'd love to have the cash to spend on a sleeping bag with more down fill but I don't have money to burn.
    Same goes for an ultralight down top. Core warmth is important, arms can be covered up with the wind shirt.

Other thoughts?

Goon

Wrong!

What's the point of getting expensive ultralight gear like titanium pans and synthetic towels if you haven't got the basics right - like a decent sleeping bag?

Believe me, being cold at night is one of the most miserable things you can experience. Besides, it looks like you plan on travelling fast & light; if you you can't get a decent night's sleep all your food & energy will be used to try to warm up, you won't have that energy to travel much the next day, and you will feel rotten. It doesn't need to be a 4 season bag, but better than one.

Get a dirt cheap cartridge top gas stove from Go outdoors or somewhere, I've seen them as low as £12, a cheap aluminium pan, a spoon from the kitchen drawer, and a plastic mug

A scrap of hand towel from home, and cheap jogging/sports trousers from Sports Direct, your local market, or a charity shop

Are you going to buy a Buff?! That's a tenner you don't need to spend. You've already got a hat, and if you want to keep your neck warm, scrounge a headscarf off your mother - in - law, or get one from a charity shop

They will do for a while, a couple of years if need be, and will come in handy on & off in future

Then put all the money you've saved into a decent sleeping bag

Even Ray Jardine says there are two things you shouldn't skimp on - food, and a sleeping bag