Thread: Getting on the Glyders

Widdler

Hello there,

I'm a landscape photographer who's fell in love with Snowdonia and although I've had little mountaineering experience in general, I've set myself to summit the Glyders, either from Cwum Idwal or following the Miner's track that starts from Pen y Gwryd.

I'm planning my next visit there in about two weeks time and would appreciate if someone could possibly advice me on the best kind of boots/crampons to use.Last time I went there (about two weeks ago) I had to give up trying to summit Snowdon and Y Garn because of the snow and generalinadequacy of my equipment.

Also, which route to the summits of the Glydersdo you think would be best suited to a beginner like me?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Francesco

Initiate

Winter conditions in Snowdonia are very unpredictable. If you have no previous experience of using an axe and crampons I would definitely not go if their use is required. If the present run of weather continues the tops of the Glyders will probably be snow free in a few weeks. However, that could easily change.

If you want an almost minute by minute update on Snowdonia winter conditions you could follow thisthread on UK Climbing.

Both routes you suggest should be fine. However, you should be confident in navigating with a map and compass in case of bad weather. The route up from the Devils Kitchen involves a steep slog up an eroded scree slope on Glyder Fawr. Not difficult, but not very pleasant. Something you might want to factor into your plans.

as has already been said: if you're not used to winter conditions and don't know how to actually use and axe and crampons, they're less than worthless. A photographer recently fell 150ft on the Glyders and had to be airlifted off:
    http://www.ogwen-rescue.org.uk/incidents/incidents.php

Both routes you mention are well-used: the route up the Devil's Kitchen from Cwm Idwal is more scenic, the Miner's Track "easier". BUT if the weather is bad don't risk it.

Widdler

Thank you very much guys. With 2 young children, I'd rather not be in the news for the wrong reasons..

Initiate

From a photographic POV it's worth knowing that the sun will rise roughly over Moel Siabod and sets roughly overCarnedd Llewelyn, depending on the time of year. Early morning and late afternoon/early evening usually give the best lighting conditions.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Another route to consider is from the SW, from Gwastadnant on the A4096 from Llanberis. Take the ENE path up to Llyn y Cwn, and then skirt N around the lake, and then turn off the marked footpath and S up the climb, then SE to Glyder Fawr, and round Cwm Cneifon (watch out if there's a northerly wind...) to Glyder Fach.

If you come back the same way, you need to take a bit of care finding the path back down to the lake, as it's a broad ridge from Glyder Fawr, and the path indistinct.

If you're using the 1:25k OS map, make sure you can distinguish between footpath and tracks, and civil boundaries; there are quite a few boundaries marked on the map that look like they ought to be paths...

Widdler

Many thanks for the advice lads

As a photographer you're probably looking for clear visibility and stable weather. Under these conditions any of these routes are very achievable. The top of the Devils Kitchen needs to be identified in descent.
    The routes are popular and if you stand in the car park at Ogwen you will find people who are going up that you can accompany. Same on the way down.

Widdler

If you want a fairly quick and straight forward assent of the Glyders, i can really recommend the Gribyn route.

Use the Llyn Blochlwyd, Cwm Tryfan route, and bear right when you reach Llyn Blochlwyd.

The Gribyn is a very straight forward and safe scramble, nothing at all technical or difficult about it, and it will bring you out a few hundred yards from he main Glyder Fawr summit.

Its the route used by the competitors in the annual Welsh 1000mPeak race from Ogwen to Snowdon.