Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Becoming a mountain leader. Where to begin!

Initiate

in career terms, its a toilet.

massive cuts to LEA funding have meant that schools, the big customers of OA centres, just no longer shop there. an industry that never paid well to begin with is swamped with hugely qualified, experienced people all fighting for a very limited number of jobs - i know people who, 5 years ago were booked solid 3 months in advance, who now count themselves lucky to get 8 days work a month.

if you get to the top of the career tree there's a decent living (and a nice life) to be made - but the top of the tree is a small place, getting there is very, very hard work, and the harsh reality is that for 99% of the people who work as outdoor activity instructors, sharing a cold flat in Llanberis and driving a 20 year old Citroen with 4 working gears at the age of 35 is much closer to reality than sipping beer on a sun-kissed alpine balcony having just shagged a pair of French Chalet girls...

Mini Goon

Shagging French girls whilst sipping beer you say? This is relevent to my interests but 1% is being generous. Those at the top of the climbing scene are supported by gear endorsements, small films and lecture work with a bit of spare time for shagging.

Unless you're competing on a professional level in some outdoor sport the only action you'll get is a hand party in a youth hostel toilet.

Widdler

Can anyone tell me what the Ј39 registration fee goes towards? As a poor student that seems a hefty chunk of money!

Initiate

administering the award, moderating the training and assessment providers

Mini Goon

No-one is going to pay for you to get the training for a career in this unless you join the army. So pay up or join up and even if you join up you my have to pay up for the tests afterwards.

Outdoor Enthusiast magazine... pages 32 to 35... "Become an Outdoor Instructor"

http://www.oe-mag.co.uk/oemag/imag/oemarchapril14/index.html

Initiate

The registration fee is the least cost - I reckon it cost me the thick end of Ј1000 in fuel, kit and time off work between my ML training and assessment in order to ensure I was fit for the assessment (not physically, though that came into the equation as well).

I wrote a piece for my website a while ago about how I became a Mountaineering Instructor which may be of interest to some:How I became a mountaineering instructor

Widdler

Are you in a climbing/hill walking club? Join one and you have the chance to meet loads of people and also get some practise at leading groups which is what the ML is all about.

You could also consider becoming a voluntary walks leader for HF Holidays - they have their own assessment and if you pass you get to lead walking holidays where all your expenses are paid and you gain great logbook experience for the ML. Have a look athttp://www.hfholidays.co.uk/get-involved/leaders/

Experience is the most important thing to becoming an ML IMHO.

Yes, there is a set of occupations that can help with that. I would recommend you to brainstorm some of the vacancies of that kind, photographers, writers and travel agents. And then rewrite your resume. Also, you can read reviews here to learn about similar experiences. When I had my resume written correctly I understood what it means. So much depends on that. Clients and employers will read it first. So think carefully when you will choose whether it deserves ordering or not.

Becoming a mountain leader Where to begin

i like th xfp mod, not out yet but will be in 2 days. includes lots of new ships sectores and the best scripts from this forum.
    коды ошибок пч митсубиши http://prom-electric.ru/articles/7/1377/