Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NeoAir

I'm OK. All the mats I sent back took about three weeks to go through the system before I got a refund; five weeks seems excessive to me.

‹bermensch

Update: I got the mat back on Thursday 12/12- not the quickest of repairs. The leak has been patched neatly. The leak is on the upper part of the mat about 4" in from the foot end. I would think this is the very last area where I'd expect to get a puncture and can think of nothing I might have done for this to have happened - its right out of the way! Whilst I accept that, somehow, I might have managed to get a puncture myself in this least likely area on Day 1, I think it is just so very unlikely. Anyway, I'm now £21 worse off for the exercise, my confidence in the mat and its manufacturer somewhat reduced. It'll be an Exped next time I think.

Received my mat back today Rob.It has been replaced by a Neoair x therm so I am pleased about that as it's an upgrade.No information ,compliments slip or explanation only thing was a photocopy of my letter to them and written on received USA 7 Dec,Neoair medium,p weld leaks

‹bermensch

Hi orb. That's good to hear. Interesting it cost me £21 rather than the £18 you were quoted. I feel rather disappointed, I must say.FWIW, my son asked me just this morning about getting a mat for his GF. I doubt he'd get a TAR now, so their (IMO) poor customer service has cost them one mat already...

I hope your new one works out well. I wonder why they upgraded? It may be you didn't want a heavier one?

‹bermensch

Glad to hear you got the Neo-Air back rob and hopefully someone connected with Thermarest will read this thread and realise customer care does affect future sales.

I think £21 is expensive for a small repair return postage plus maybe £5 would cover it and show good customer support.

‹bermensch

Thanks speed. It certainly shows how good some companies are! I wonder if anyone from Cascade reads these?

Had I known the outcome, I'd have made an effort to fix it myself. I was too confident of a decent customer service from a reputable and expensive company. But now I know...

‹bermensch

You could have bought a tube of sealant from a watersports shop for about £8 and would have repaired it probably just as well.

‹bermensch

No - it's worse. I already had some! Silnet, which seems to be pretty good.

At least I did not have to pay anything Rob apart from posting it back to them so it must have been one of the faulty ones.Probably gave me the upgrade as they don't seem to do the one I had any more.On close inspection of the replacement look like it has had a small repair with tear aid even though it was boxed and contains the pump bag and repair kit

‹bermensch

Well here an orginal Neoair small. It's the second. The first one delaminated. My second got some punctures which I could repair very easily. However lately (last year)I began too lose too much pressure during the night which couldn't be explained by lower temperatures. Submerging the thing in a bath tub didn't reval anything. No puncture leaks or leaky valve. During time it slowly got worse the problem. Last week I again put it in a bath tub. No Ifound the reason... An area the size of a fist is porous and is losing slowly on trickling speed air. It's clearly not a puncture or a set of punctures it's clearly the fabric is in that area has become porous. I'm now contacting Cascade Ireland since I actually do not want a new version NeoAir back. Hoping they have some rectangleshaped light weight versions left over.

‹bermensch

Hmmm - clearly not very trustworthy items. Helluva a cost, too. A shame. Exped for me next time, I think.

‹bermensch

Yup I'm very satisfied with the Expeds I have. I have 4 expeds, all short versions. 3 of those are the Exped downmat 7 UL XS. Still looking for a fourth for the last kid. They don't make this model anymore.

The Exped neo Air was great for 3 seasons and still a bout lighter than these Expeds. So If cascade will make rectangle versions again I'll be in the makrket for those as well. The weight loss is too significant to ignore those things. But I agree that they don't have a good track record.... Hopefully the service evens things.

‹bermensch

"Hopefully the service evens things": Definitely NOT in my case! Never have I had such poor service. It's put me right off getting any more TARs. Compare this with Bloc - see recent thread. Exemplary service, for goggles which were 3 years old and for which I simply asked if I could buy a replacement lens as I liked the goggles so much. The new ones are on their way to me now, FOC.

‹bermensch

I'll bring in my Neo Air next week, let's see what it gives....

I sent my Downmat 7 into Lyon Equipment a few weeks ago after it deflated on a rather chilly wildcamp; I hadn't been able to find any holes and thought it might be the valve gone, and sent it into them. They sent it back a couple of days later having found a small hole and repaired it. No charge! Thanks, Lyon Equipment

Initiate

Hi Kate,

That's great, well done Lyon Equipment! I still find it hard to believe just how snotty Cascade were over mine. For a premium product, it was appalling service, especially as the problem was there from Day 1. They weren't aware of it, but I am the owner of 5 of their mats, using them almost exclusively for decades. It leaves me feeling very disinclined to ever buy one of their products again.

‹bermensch

Yeah Cascade wa very popular due to their lifetime warranty and no questions asked replacement program on selfinflatables. Heowver when starting with Neo Airs they stopped that excellent service program for Neo Airs (I think it's still in place for selfinflatables). And with hind sight for the obvious reasons, those neo airs are a total different breed of product with way flimsier materials and production techniques.

Widdler
    Self inflaters and blow-ups are all vulnerable to punchers sp claws. It's where closed cell really comes through. CC is also cheaper, lighter and can be used for other purposes.

‹bermensch

Yup and CC sleeps like crap. I'll take all those risks for granted just not having to sleep on CC anymore. I only use CC for under my legs since I use a short pad

I spend hours lying on CC mats, they're uncomfortable! Like Yuma I'll take the risk thanks!