Thread: Great Gable Remembrance Service

I went up Great Gable yesterday for the remembrance service on the summit. Something I?ve not done for a couple of years. It was terrific to see so many people up there paying their respects on such a foul day with low cloud, wind and rain.

However with the service over came the circus of 300+ people all trying to get down off the mountain via two main exit routes - all at the same time.

This is when the abilities of some people came into my mind and I found myself questioning whether they were regularly hill-goers or just out for a day trip. Some of whom I would have been nervous if they?d been behind me on a staircase in a shopping arcade let alone the short scramble down from Great gable to Windy-gap. The use of walking poles didn?t seem to assist many people; rather they appeared to be a hindrance.

Was anyone else on here up there yesterday and experienced the same concerns?

I was up on Gable yesterday morning as well. Don't know how many people were up there, but one of the Mountain Rescue Teams reckons there were over 500.

We took the Green Gable, Windy Gap route up onto Gable and decided against coming back down that way because of the sheer numbers of people taking that route. We opted for the Breast route down to Sty Head tarn instead, which surprisingly wasn't very busy.

Did you hear that there was an accident at Windy Gap on the way back. Apparently a man in his 60s slipped and took a tumble. He recovered though and was taken off by the Keswick MRT.

Hi Lorraine. I had our Border Collie with me yesterday, so the Beast track was really out for us. We heard the incident and the comotion, which was also a reason for promting the post. As it was serveral hundred yards behind and up the mountian, I'd got the dog and there were loads of other people around, decided we'd get off quick.

We watched the Air Ambulance flying up and down, presumably ferrying Keswick rescue team members from the bottom of Talyor Ghyll to Styhead Tarn.

I hope this doesn't put people off attending the service there in the future. It really is quite a special place to be regardless of the weather.

I was there, and walked down to Styhead Tarn afterwards.

I didn't notice any people looking dodgy on the way down, but my mind boggled a bit at a couple who allowed their two large golden labradors to run up and down the path, all the way down, knocking into people and getting under foot. I didn't see them cause an accident, but it's only a matter of time.

(All the other dogs I saw were models of politeness, on leads.)