Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: Britain's Best Outdoor Towns

Inverness for sure - 1 hour's drive can put you in Assynt, Fisherfield, Torridon, Glen Shiel, Cairngorms and Lochaber.

With all the advantages of city living.

Fort Bill and Aviemore are great bases.

Edinburgh has an outdoor feel and a great wee hill in it's bounds.

Some other foreign places were mentioned like Kendal and Keswick - why?

Inverness is convenient - but I find it a bit grim; must be my soft Southern sensibilities....and the fact they turned that fine cafe next to the station into a 'Sell Your Old Gold' franchise

Keswick is horrible at weekends. Booths sell fine Blackcurrant pies.

Fort William is foul.

There's a pattern developing here......I agree about Edinburgh though, and Sheffield is a fine place.

Durango is the mutts nuts

Manchester.... in a 2h drive/3h train radius you have Lakes, Dales, Peaks, Snowdonia and various other bits of the Pennines. 45 minutes andyou are in the heart of the Peak District...

And it's a proper city you know, not some middle-class provincial shit-hole...

‹bermensch

Is Sheffield really on the Western edge of the Peak District ?

‹bermensch

The connoisseur's town /village is Ullapool. It's rubbish for gear shops but has a fine selection of hotels/bars/restaurants etc and has the best scenery in the UK on its doorstep.

Great mountains nearby (including the mountains regularly voted the best in the UK- Suilven and An Teallach), great beaches, sea cliffs, sea stacks and superb wildlife with otters, sea eagles, whales, gannets, puffins.....

It's also one of the most important areas in the world for geology with people coming fromall over the world to study it.

Also you've gotBritain's highest waterfall and some great islands like Handa and the Summer Isles

What else could you want..

Think the list needs a Dales town somewhere. Any one of Settle/ Kirkby Stephen/ Sedbergh would be excellent. KS especially is absolutely brilliantly placed for all sorts of UK walking. Settle better developed perhaps.

Hawes/Richmond etc more touristy. In the NE, Barnard Castle/Middleton aren't half bad, although I guess even those bits of the Tees might pale after a while

Personally, since I don't drive, somewhere like Manchester/Sheffield is basically ideal. Wonderful public transport links and they've both got hills either in the city or visible anytime you climb any distance. Of course very good for sundry non walking bits too. Not that any of the 'northern' cities are bad.

(Sheffield has an amazing number of chess/bridge players. Never been sure quite why.).

Also a non-driver like Martin which is why being Manchester based is so good. Don't envy the poor souls based in the south of the country one bit...I remember having a great view on the hills of the Peak District from my old office, spent many quiet afternoons looking at them...

I'm in Sheffield. Looking West i can see the Peaks, to the East Rotherham.

I like my view of the Peaks.

Is Sheffield really on the Western edge of the Peak District

No. It's on the right.

I'm not sure what constitutes an 'outdoor' town - a high street full of gear shops and easy access to hills, it seems. I'd add a good chipshop, a cafe serving all-day breakfasts, friendly pubs serving decent beer and drinkable coffee, full mobile coverage and a choice of campsites within reasonable distance (the gear shops are an optional extra).

I've got a soft spot for Ambleside but I'm not so keen on Keswick.

‹bermensch

Ambleside get's my vote - only because of the Full Monty breakfast in Daisy's cafe (formerly The Stockghyll).

Take hell of a lot to make me move from the NEofE.

‹bermensch
    Carlisle's the gateway to everywhere. Great transport links to all the walking haunts; Scotland, Lakes, Dales, Northumbria......
    Buy cheap gear in Keswick in mid winter; so much competition and good deals
    Agree Martin C, Settle, Kirkby Stephen, lovely as walking bases.

WALES...Betws y Coed, the gateway to Snowdonia, pretty village full of outdoor shops, and a few ok bars for a pint or 2.

Beddgelert, another very pretty village in the heart of the mountains, goods pubs, but a pity they are all Robinsons ale houses.

I'll give Hawkshead a shout in the Lakes, the loveliest village, 4 great pups and a convenient campsite.

Ullapoool is my favourite in Scotland as well

Fatwalker, on Ullapool,you are surely right about everything

except:

"has a fine selection of hotels/bars/restaurants etc"

there is no town in Walesof a similar size which compares with Ullapool for its cultural poverty. The miserable dullness of its bars and restaurants is beyond compare.I would rather eat a pot noodle than step inside their sorrydoors.

‹bermensch

I think you are being unfair. There's several places which have regular live traditional music (not my cup of tea though)and they even have a book fair.

‹bermensch

I remember many years ago eating in the Morefield motel with a large group that included a charity events organiser from London.

When the plates of seafood came out she was so impressed that she started taking photos so that she could show the places she used for her events what real seafood was like.

At the time they had around 50 different types of fish on their menu though not everyone was available all the time. It depended on what the boats brought in.

Ambleside is a place I try to avoid as much as I can...Aside from the Golden Rule...

Sedbergh on the other hand is quite pleasant in a frumpy kind of way.

Glossop ain't bad either, in fact I would not mind moving there to live, the Star Inn is a top notch boozer.

Widdler

Llanberis ?!! Worst pint I've ever had (Prince of Wales). Relentlessly grim and cant believe it's at the foot of such a great mountain. Absolute hole and always stay elsewhere and drive further in the morning.

I find Ambleside a nice place to wait around for a bit for a bus or even short stays. Wouldn't want to live there with how madly busy it can get.

The original question in the article seems to have postulated ending up with some sort of telcommuting job, or post retirement of course, and where you'd go then.

Settle/Glossop/Marple/ Hathersage etc are sorts of compromise candidates in that they keep major cities in touching distance but get you reasonable, very local, hills. Think I'd tend to prefer the centers myself anyway mind.

Widdler

Any walking town thats not london will do me

Is that "Charlies" at the bus station you mean Mr Bored .

Inverness is convenient - but I find it a bit grim; must be my soft Southern sensibilities....and the fact they turned that fine cafe next to the station into a 'Sell Your Old Gold' franchise