Thread: Writing on a trig point

Goon

Whilst in the Malvern Hills last week I noticed that a family had written a large note on the trig point on top of Worcestershire Beacon, the highest point. They had basically written their names, the date and something along the lines of "We climbed this hill", all inside a large heart.

My personal view is that, although the trig point itself could be considered a man made intrusion, it's not right to leave graffiti such as this. I know that it was probably written with good intentions and it was nice to see that a family had had an enjoyable day out, but I don't see any need for people to "claim" the summit as theirs. If everyone wrote their names on trig points they'd be a bit of a mess. Thousands of other people have climbed that hill and not felt the need to write a message on the trig point. I just think it comes across as a bit arrogant and selfish to do something like that.

I know this sounds like a bit of a rant, so to end on a more cheery note: the Malvern Hills were very nice for walking, the views were good and there was next to no litter.

‹bermensch

Absolutely agree with you, Explorer. It's even worse than urban grafitti.

Hugh

The transience and impermanence of life and its experience does weigh heavily on so many - that they feel the need to leave their marks behind them.

What was it written with by these parents teaching their weans how to create graffitti?

I have seen this in the US a lot on rock slabs and trees, it does look nasty.

Goon

What was it written with by these parents teaching their weans how to create graffitti?

It was written in black permanent marker, suggesting that they had always planned to do it and brought a pen with them.

That's what I was wondering.

Initiate

Shame they didn't leave their address, then we could spray paint the outside of their house with a similar logo. That way they might learn no to do such things.

Do you know how to focus on homework? It is really rough for me. I feel bored just in a few minutes!