Thread: Little man big pack

A close friend is looking for a 60ltr + pack for bacpacking. As he is only 5'4" and a back length of 17" he is struggling. Any sugestions ?

I'm the same height (not sure about back length) but have the same problem finding packs that fit me.

I'd suggest he try

http://www.aarnpacks.com/

on the basis that they are very adjustable.

I quite like the 'flomo' system but it wasn't that or the 'balance pockets' that made me buy one.

Quite simply after a day of trying on every (small fit) pack in Ambleside and Windermere, an aarn pack was the first one I found that would adjust small enough to fit me.

I've got one of their day packs and the Peak Aspiration which is 40L, I don't have the balance pockets.

They do larger sizes too.

I stumbled upon them a few years ago when Outdoor Warehouse still had a shop in Windermere. They were selling off old stock and I was lucky to find something that fitted and at a bargain price.

They've changed their name and just sell on line now - getting new stock of Aarn packs in soon apparently.

mountain lite

Don't know if there's anywhere else that sells them but if he's interested, check out the aarn website for information about measuring back length, it seems to vary from one manafacturer to the next.

Quite a few of the better brands do explicity short/normal/long length sacs. That should help quite a bit?

Not always remotely easy to find to try though.

Try the 'ladies' packs. My back lenghth is 15" and I needed an 80 litre pack, some years ago, to carry mine and the kids stuff. I had to ship a Golite Odyssey from the US (cost - don't ask!!) and it's been brilliant. The kids carry their own stuff now but I still use the pack as it's such a comfy 'load lugger'.

Golite have abandoned the European market and don't make the old style Odyssey anymore. (I think their newer packs are nowhere near as good as the one I have).

However, there is an old style Odyssey for sale on ebay right now for £120 +p&p. I think that's a bit steep but it's been up for sale for ages with no takers so you could try a bit of haggling??

Good luck.

Ultra King

Not as big as you want, but the Lowe Alpine Nanon 50+ has an adjustable back system. I'm only 1.5" taller but find it a great pack. It also seems to hold more than stated capacity.

When adjusted to 'right' back length, one of the most comfortable sack I've used.

One other possibility would be to contact Aiguille Alpine to see about something custom-built for his size. They can turn out their packs with tailored back lengths, and other customisations if required. The packs tend to be fairly traditional climbing styles but they've a good reputation for quality and robustness, and it's more than possible to backpack with this type of pack (I've chosen similar in preference to multi-pocket, multi-compartment packs for my entire backpacking career).

Similarly Laufbursche will make a pack to a custom length..mine is halfway between their L and XL so suspect most good pack makers will do likewise.

There are a few packs on the market but adjustabls are heavy and the lighter you go the more you pay.

Mini Goon

Lucky your not a big man with a little pack otherwise you would look funny

Widdler

It might be worth trying one of the adjustable Lowe Alpine packs. I'm 5'7" and have a Khumbu pack and the back system isn't on its shortest setting the way I have it set up.

Mini Goon

All above are good replies, especially custom made (Aiguelle), but a typical option here is to look at female packs as they are designed especially for smaller back sizes. They are likely to fit your frame better in all ways.

Widdler

Female packs are also designed for wider hips, slimmer shoulders and a larger bust but this isn't to say you won't find one that works. The thing to do with any pack is try it on with some weight in it.

‹bermensch

I'm with Mat - speak to Adrian at Aiguille. Not only do you get the size you need you get a cracking rucsac to boot.