Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SUPERMARKET WILD CAMPING FOOD

Widdler

Cous cous with dried fruit is amazing for a good breakfast, with brazilian nuts to pack the protein!

LWWF meals £1 in Asda right now, they go very well with noodles or those Ainsley Herriot couscous packets.

Rye bread with squirty cheese and salami.

Those porridge pots that you just add boiling water to (around 50p in Lidl)

Nuts and raisins, flapjacks for a quick energy boost.

Widdler

Sachets of "Mug Shots" pasta or noodles are an easy, just add boiling water, food to carry and you only have a paper sachet to carry out afterwards.

I've also used those porridge pots that Wanderlust recommended above, I've poured them into ziplock bags and thrown the pots into the recycling beforehand so you have less packaging to carry, then made them in a mug or bowl.

Dried soya mince (available from health food companies) can also be chucked in with your "just add boiling water" meals to add a bit more protein and variety.

Mini Goon

Asda have freeze dried vegi friendly bolognese - light, cheap and has enought for two good portions if you also have rice or pasta!

Any supermarket has noodle in vacume packed bags which can be a boil in the bag type thing, then add s sache of sauce.

If you're feeling spartan - my ultra weight saver is dried noodles with a cupasoup. But this is very much eat-to-live not live-to-eat. Never more than one night of this.

Relatively luxurious eating, with a weight penalty - fresh filled pasta (tortellini etc) and a sachet of liquid sauce. Plan the combinations so you don't eat a mushrom fiiling with a mushroom sauce, tomato with tomato sauce etc.

Dried noodles (with a flavour sachet that's usually heavy on MSG) are useful for breakfast in that the pan needs little washing up (= quick getaway), but are fairly boring. Mugshots are more interesting, with not too much mess left in your mug. Porridge if you can cope with the cleaning.

Packet rice for variety, with kabanos or salami sliced into it; and/or cupasoup.

Smash needs more flavour than comes out of the packet, and you have to get the volume of liquid just right, else you end up with either slop or a too-stiff mortar with intermittent dry bits. I've given up on it.

A small container of Lea & Perrins/sweet chili/tabasco can do a lot to jazz up a dish - over the food rather than mixed into it.

A hunk of hard-ish cheese that you like. Emmental or Jarlsberg for me. No mess and very satisfying to round off an evening meal.

Seen these, look okay for a couple of nights and a decent price too (in chilled section so I doubt they will last for days)

Tastes of Italy

Curry Club

Tastes of Orient

and these - although portions may be a bit small (2 curry flavours in store)

Tesco have some ready meals (Thai Chicken Curry, Sweet and Sour, Stew/Hotpot I think) that keep at room temperature and have a decent shelf life. Already hydrated, so not lightest, but might do for a night or two.

Mini Goon

Some cracking ideas there - I'm bookmarking this!

We tend to go with own-brand ready meals in a packet - curries are extremely good (they even pass the "acceptable to eat at home" test!) Boil-in-the-bag/reheat style rices are a little heavy but do the trick well. The curries also provide an excellent calories-to-weight ratio (better than Wayfarer, for example). Sweet and sour is also good.

We've done chili con carne out of a tin as well, that's not bad.

Quick-cook pasta is OK too although it takes up a lot of volume in the pan plus you need quite a bit of water. Then there's the problem of sauce (Dolmio tubs would be OK I guess).

Packet soups are an easy winner but it's worth getting decent ones.

I always struggle with breakfast. Normally end up just having a few Nutrigrains along with a hot chocolate or coffee (Nescafe white coffee sachets are perfectly OK, I've stopped having tea as making it with sub-boiling water and powdered milk isn't a great experience). What do others do for breakfast?

I generally have a decent nutty/fruity muesli - put 120g or so in a bag with some full fat dried milk (Nestle Nido usually ). I add a cup of hot water. Much nicer than those yucky instant porridges (too sweet and too small portions and too expensive for the poor nutrition - if I wanted porridge I'd make it properly.)

I use a pour n store bag as the 'bowl' and rinse it out each day and reuse next morning. (Same for dry 'instant' dinners ) . For longer trips, each dry meal (except the first days - which is in the PnS bag already) is stored in a flimsy sandwich bag. Saves significant weight/bulk of rubbish over several days (got the idea from Eddie Meecham article in TGO).

My favourite 'cheap' main meal is a pack of instant noodles and a tin of sardines in tomato sauce. Or couscous with soup and fish or a pepperami type thing.

2 mugshots and a pepperami have the same calories (if not nutrition) as an 'expedtion meal'

Instant Couscous can be made in and eaten from it's own sachet. (Thanks to Paddy Dillon for the tip)

Either fruit cake and some cheese with coffee; in winter.

Or crushed shredded wheat, crushed nuts (ho ho), palatinose, activated barley, Nido; generally after I have been on the move for an hour or so.

Initiate

hi ed where do you get nido from??----regards lr

I got some Nido in a Tesco this summer, never seen it there before although have heard or it being there through here, before I got it off the Net from online shops. At home I was measuring out the milk and water required for 1 pint, marking it on a 2 pt plastic milk container. When I was at my camp I would pour the powder up to the first line with warm water up to the 2nd line ( it seems to desolve better in warm water ) , put the top on and shake it, giving me a pint of milk for cereal and tea . The worst bit was finding a plastic screw top container that would empty into the neck of the 2pt milk container .

lentenrose - I buy mine in local Afro-Caribbean shops.

Goon

Nido has been available at larger Tesco and Asda stores for years - to find out if its available in your area, register for online shopping and if its available somehow find out the store they deliver from (if its not a dark store). My local Sainsburys (Halifax) started stocking it when they doubled the size of the store last year, but for some reason, its still not available online.

Initiate

thanks all----nido in tesco seems to be more thoeretical than reality for me----will try again ----- ed---- london based daughter occasionly finds some----very hit and miss----regards lr

Brekkie: Scotts Old Fashioned porage oats (they're coarser than most so it's not like eating paste), with a bit of dried fruit added (cranberry, blueberry, raisins, goji berries). Made with hot water and 'cooked' in pot cosy. Skimmed dried milk to top.

Lunch: oatcakes and cheese (Emmental keeps well on a longish trip). Cereal bars. Montezumas Chilli and Lime chocolate Any of those little kiddi-snacks such as yoghurt coated raisins

Dinner: Pick some from - Ainsley Harriot Cuppasoup, Mugshot, packet pasta with mini salami or chorizo or Babybel added, instant noodles with packet of tuna fish and for pud (courtesy of Little Miss Maria), Aunt Bessies instant custard with 2 Nutrigrain bars (inedible themselves, IMO, but great to create the 'roly poly').

Aunt Bessies instant custard is way better than Birds and mixes more easily too

Starbucks Via coffee sachets are the lightest I found that gives a decent brew.

Babybel are pretty tasteless cold, but cook quite nicely. I'm partial to the mini Marmite cheddars too.

All of these are ideal for Jetboil cooking, as you can drop boiling water into them and let them 'cook' in a pot cosy.

Quote Originally Posted by lentenrose View Post

thanks all----nido in tesco seems to be more thoeretical than reality for me----will try again ----- ed---- london based daughter occasionly finds some----very hit and miss----regards lr
    After years of going into Tesco I've only seen it once but have heard it is around, just not in Milton Keynes or Inverness a lot.

Goon

Pasta & sauce, whatever flavour you fancy. Add water, bring to boil then switch off stove and leave pan to soak with lid on. After 30 mins or so, pasta should be softened. Bring to boil again, add one sachet of cupasoup, reasonably compatible flavour, to thicken, and a third to a half of smoked pork horseshoe shaped sausage, diced/sliced. (known to afficionados as turdo sausage).

turdo sausage will keep for a few days and can be eaten cold for daytime meals

You might even find Vesta dried meals; they've been around for years, and haven't improved any

You don't have to have a proper meal. Make up packet soup and bread or oatcakes with the aforementioned turdo sausage or cheese.

Don't be frightened of tins. You wouldn't want to carry made up stew or similar, but could take a small tin of sardines, corned beef or similar 'high value' meat, and dried potato or pasta

Remember rice usually tales much longer to cook and so uses more fuel than dried potato or pasta

Read books of people who have been on very long walks and see what they did; Hamish Brown, John Merril and othersl. Try to get an early edition of 'Hamish's Mountain Walk' that has a good account of food and gear in the appendix; it's missing from the new edition

Widdler

ASDA 900g,Nido Milk Powder,£6.99

Mini Goon
    Stay mindful of used packaging - go for food whereby the used wrapper can be stowed cleanly and easily compressed ..