Thread: Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill

Mini Goon

Hi... was going to do the Chrome Hill and Parkhouse Hill walk in a few weeks - however just wondering which way is best (more interesting), east to west, or west to east? Was going to use it as a nice simple introduction to scrambling for my 2 kids who - living in norwich - rarely get to experience such things.

Doubt it matters much - very nice either way round I always did EW but then I was doing it from Buxton and that obviously adds some extra distance/random reasons to do it in different ways on.

If it matters then Chrome hill is, iirc, a little gentler than Parkhouse. Not sure how much scrambling proper there is mind. That pinnacle on Parkhouse perhaps, although I always just took to the (energetic!) grass side slope instead.

Probably Chrome first is best if it's an introduction. There is not really any scrambling on Chrome Hill(not that Parkhouse is really gnarly), but if there are any issues it's easy to just give Parkhouse a miss or stick to it's grass slope.

Took my kids up them, it's great. Have fun!

‹bermensch

I'd definitely start with Chrome Hill - the view in front of you from the top section is just great! Look out for the little cave, too.

If you can have a little walk over to the "Quiet Woman" in Earl Sterndale I would thoroughly recommend that you do.

One of my very favourite little places anywhere. Pity it always rains, the farmers shoot most of the visitors on sight, and the rabies problem is pretty bad.

‹bermensch

Yes,Chrome Hill definately the better for youngsters. I wouldn't advise running down though.That's always popular with young ones. Local landowners are bit tetchy ,but I've camped around that area for the odd night and never had a real problem. Don't try it down Beresford Dale though.Cheers.

Initiate

Agree with previous posts as to how to tackle the two hills. Its also worth considering a trip up to the top of High Wheeldon. This has some of the best views in the White Peak, in particular looking back West up the Dove Valley towards Axe Edge complete with great views of both Chrome and Parkhouse Hills.

‹bermensch

Ashley's dead right! High Wheeldon is lovely.

One of my favourite days out is to take the train to Buxton, walk out from Harpur Hill over High Edge, and then over Chrome & Parkhouse. After that, depending on the hour of the day, and temptations of pubs, you can loop-the-loop over as many hills and dales as you like all in the same small area.

Also exciting for model plane enthusiasts (not me!!) and of course there is the famous "double sunset" to satisfy your inner druid.

Love Chrome Hill, also one of my favourite bits of the Peak District. I used to go walking and camping around that area all the time when I lived in Burton

Great "Pooh Bear" spot forcontemplation

That trip from Buxton sounds awfully familar Sometimes a tiny bit messy going round those safety labs.

Very atmospheric the one time in winter I ended up a bit late heading back and went out via deep dale in semi darkness.

‹bermensch

Once, when I lost my mind, I decided to go through the "labs". After what seemed like several hours of wandering around, dodging security patrols and climbing fences, I found my way back to Harpur Hill!

Nowadays I find it much nicer to walk up through the park in Buxton and take the field paths through the menage to Harpur Hill! You do get a few yards of "exciting" tarmac up the hill but it's soon over and it's a nice walk over the hill from there

If it's another freezy winter I will be taking some kit out there and attempting the ice climb of the east face of Parkhouse!!

‹bermensch

All that talk about it made me take the dog out for a walk yesterday!

We started after lunch from Buxton, went over Chrome, Parkhouse and Hitter - only to find that Ken had decided to shut for the afternoon at the Quiet Woman!!

Back we went over Hitter Hill to Crowdecote - where Mick and Sharon were just about to close up (it was well after four o'clock) - they kindly stayed open for an hour and we had a few pints of incredible scrumpy.

A lovely evening walk back over High Wheeldon and Hind Low took us back to Harpur Hill (just time for a quick beer) - then the easy walk back down to Buxton for the half nine train.

The Packhorse in Crowdecote opens Wednesday to Sunday for lunch and evening sessions - if you find better ale and cider in Derbyshire I'd be surprised.

‹bermensch

By the way, Dylan (fox terrier) found the little scramble up the first pinnacle on Parkhouse was easy - but needed a lower-off down to the gap on the ridge.

He almost had a lower-off on the climb (courtesy of my boot) after getting a bit ahead of himself. He has really got to learn that "moving together" means together.