Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkback: Peak District 4x4 Ban Announced

this will lead to an increase in illegal and irresponsible riding and driving on the Roych and the surrounding area. In the past, law-abiding members of the Trail Riders Fellowship have done their best to educate and inform illegal and irresponsible riders and drivers that they have encountered in the area, and similar action has also been taken by the various 4x4 clubs which use the lane. The TRO will ban the legal users from the lane.
    On the Roych, illegal users will turn up in increasing numbers, with unregistered, uninsured and possibly stolen vehicles, which they will thrash up and down the road, and across the surrounding countryside. Some vehicles are likely to be abandoned and burnt, with the consequential risk of horrendous damage to the local environment.
    The police in Derbyshire have already stated that enforcing the TRO on the Roych will be an almost impossible task because of the remoteness of the area, and that a lack of resources mean that it will not be a priority for them.
    Mr Pennell has admitted that any barriers or signs that the PDNPA erects to prevent the entry of motor vehicles are likely to be smashed, removed or just driven around. The route is still legal for disabled persons to use in wheelchairs and mobility vehicles so barriers capable of stopping 4x4s and motorcycles will constitute an illegal obstruction to disabled users.
    Mr Pennell is a leading member of the Friends of the Peak District, which was prominent during the consultation as a campaigner for the ban: how was it that he was allowed to chair the Committee which decided the issue?

Excellent decision by the look of it.

OM must be on a recruitment drive for new members...expect some very soon.

this will lead to an increase in illegal and irresponsible riding and driving on the Roych

Why?

Trail Riders Fellowship have done their best to educate and inform illegal and irresponsible riders and drivers

Did it work?

The route is still legal for disabled persons to use in wheelchairs and mobility vehicles

Sounds gnarly, dude.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Why?

4x4 attracts those who revel in breaking the law...?

‹bermensch

here we go again

Where's the popcorn smiley...?

Ultra King
    Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Wick View Post

OM must be on a recruitment drive for new members...expect some very soon.

ooo! another Keen competition

Unusually perspicacious for MontyW

Ultra King

i'll have to ask Ed what that means

He'll tell you it means sweaty.

I agree with MW but lets see what happens. I suspect this will to and fro several times yet

‹bermensch

I'm not in the "get orf my National Park" camp but I do think it's the right decision for the Roych.

In fact it's been closed to motor traffic for a few months now anyway (a temporary order was on it before this news came out) - and it was a pleasure to be able to sit by the ford in peace and quiet for once.

Purely selfish pleasures of course: but if the local authority is not going to maintain the surface then it should be closed (as indeed many metalled lanes have been in the past). I know full well that some of the off-road groups do their own maintenance, but that doesn't prevent large groups of other visitors seeking out the most rubble-strewn, undriveable RuPPs and treating them as obstacle courses. It leaves the routes difficult to walk or ride on (bike or horse) and effectively excludes some users.

I've never had a personal "incident" with trail bikers or 4x4 drivers on a "green lane" by the way: they're usually pretty friendly people. Which is better than I can say of some ramblers, some of the new MTB riders, or for some 4x4 drivers on the tarmac.

Widdler
    what a complete white wash!!! The decision to close the roych had already been made before the meeting from the look of it, too much authority has been given to the bobble hat brigade and from the look of it they are able to influence those in authority to doing as they are told. Also i suspect a conflict of interest here aswell?? how come Mr Pennell is a leading member of friends of the peak district yet is allowed to chair the meeting which hangs over the closure of a popular route which should be decided fairly without bias yet the group he is a leading member of is clearly against all 4x4 use regardless, i suspect some corruption going on!! at least it gives the greenlaning community something to take to court to get the tro overturned rapidly. WE are getting stronger as a community and WILL have a say in matters that concern us and we WILL be listened to. This cannot continue as it is with walkers etc corrupting people in high places to get their way, we live in a democracy where everyone gets their voice heard not just the select few user groups who shout the loudest - but remember he who shouts loudest shouts for the shortest time!!!!

Ultra King

someone's thrown thier toys out the pram.

we live in a democracy where everyone gets their voice heard not just the select few user groups who shout the loudest

Yes, we do live in a democracy. Which means that minorities don't always get their way, even if they do shout loudly. Now, do you think greenlaners are the majority, or a loud minority...?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2 View Post
    but remember he who shouts loudest shouts for the shortest time!!!!

Thankfully one of these costs less than a tank of diesel.

Who has a bobble hat?

Wil anyone admit to such a thing?

I have a leopard skin thong though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2 View Post
    is with walkers etc corrupting people in high places to get their way,

I'm not sure who did the corrupting. If i remember the newspaper coverage, it was the Tory MP that paid for the lady to walk on his testicles whilst she wore 6" stilletos.

Widdler

my point is byways are for everyone to use not just the select few, as it stands byways open to all traffic account for less than 2% of the total rights of way network. Before long there won't be any left!!!! but then i suppose thats the master plan............ if you dont want to meet a 4x4 then use the other 98% of footpaths etc that we can,t legally drive on. As it stands i am a responsible greenlaner who gives a vast amount of time to repairs to lanes on a voluntary basis and completely disagree with the minority of people who it seems give the rest of us a bad name by driving where they shouldn't. As for the comments above; very funny but my 5 year old son does better.................