Thread: Buying a tent

Mini Goon

For some reason, the girlfriend has expressed a wish to start coming 'camping' with me. Got enough kit for the both of us, but what I don't have is a tent that would fit both of us in. Even at a squeeze.

So I'm faced with a few options.[*]Buy a cheap, new tent that would fit both of us in comfortably. If she decides she doesn't like it, it can then sit in the cupboard. Something like a Vango Banshee 300 (Even though it's not my definition of cheap...)[*]Buy an expensive, new tent that would fit us in comfortably. If she decides she doesn't like it, I can then sell it at hopefully not too much of a loss.[*]Buy an expensive new/second hand tent that I could use when I go off camping/cycle touring, but would be more of a squeeze for the two of us - something like a GoLite SL3.[*]Let her use my bivi bag[/list]

At the minute, I'm more inclined to go for the cheap option. But then I start thinking 'buy cheap, buy twice' etc...

Any advice?

Ultra King

1. Man up and tell her you like going on your own.

Initiate

Buy a cheap Argos tent, then take her with you when you know it's going to be cold and quite possibly wet. She'll never want to go camping again....result

My Wife has never wanted to come camping with me, and if she did, then I would have to be honest and say, sorry love, no, you'll just spoil it!!

Know anyone with a reasonable two person one you can borrow?

Mini Goon

Ah, that was the other option I forgot about. Borrowing/hiring one.

Alas, no. All my mates have big, 6 person, festival type tents, so no option to borrow one. Is there anywhere that hires them out?

Mini Goon

wild camping or car camping? what tent do you have now? with the nice weather could you not just put her in the tent leave the door open and position a tarp over the entrance which you can sleep under in a bivi? gives her a chance to see if she likes it and wants to come back without having to spend money.

Mini Goon

Campsite camping. But no car, we'll be train/bus/walking it.

I do have a Luxe Mini Peak II. It would be possible to get two in - one in the inner and one the other side of the pole - but the campsites I've earmarked for the trip get their fair share of midge at the minute so I don't think it would be very pleasant.

Mini Goon

ah just go and get a 2 man tent from asda then if weight isnt a massive issues, can get a decent sized tent for £25, same in tesco ect

Something like this might be a compromise for you. Probably better than an supermarket one (so more uses), not too expensive, probably sellable on eBay if she doesn't like it.

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/vango-soul-300-tent.html

Goon

she's obviously abit of a minger who gets all your nerves or you'd gladly to buy a tent and have her for company.

Awnser. ditch her, get another girlfriend.

Widdler

the third option is the best. if shes still finds its uncomfortable dont forget shes essentially sleeping with you then your gping nowhere and dump her anf also got a good website for you www.miltacsolution.com

Goon

hire one from Alpkit:
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16696&category_ id=290

‹bermensch

Just cram her in your Luxe Minipeak II, that way she nows for sure your doing nothing but hiking/camping when going out alone.

Mini Goon

Mini Goon

She's just text me saying she's bought one of those Souls CraigH posted and asked when we're going. She's keen at least.

Widdler

If you're interested I'm willing to let a surplus-to-requirements Vango Mirage 200 go for cheap. £50ish?

I myself got it off ebay for £80 or so, haven't used it and it seems in mint condition. I'll have to put it up in the garden to check it, but from what I can tell it's pretty much as good as new.

PM me if you're interested.