Thread: Barrowburn Camping Barn, Cheviots - anyone know it?

(In 'Soapbox' as I wasn't sure what category to post this in)

I just spent a week in Northumberland. on two occasions I visited the upper valley of the River Coquet, above Harbottle and Alwinton.

At the small settlement of Barrowburn there is a tearoom/cafe and the proprietor there also rents out a camping barn. The barn is a former schoolhouse and it provides basic accommodation for up to 17 people. It looked good from the outside (I couldn't go in as it was occupied).

The barn is very modestly priced - up to seventeen people for only 80 in fact. It is accessible by car and lays below the Cheviot Hills near to several tracks and walking routes about three miles south of the Border Fence.

Given the superb location in such good walking country and given the modest cost, I am thinking of organising a get-together at Barrowburn, either informally among my mates or a 'pubic' meet hjere on OM.

So have any of you OM-ers used this barn or heard any reports of it?

Anyone who is interested to find out more can click here.

Not much help I'm afraid but we were walking past it a couple of years ago and a mate wanted a look inside - door was unlocked and unoccupied - from what I can remember then it was perfectly ok and my mate said he would have been happy to stay there.

Totally agree about the location - I don't get out that much at the moment due to other commitments but that area is one of my favourite in Northumberland - will park half a mile further up the road at the stream at the bottom of 'The Street' and up to 'Wyndy Gyle' is a favourite walk.

Please post any further replies in my Anyone for Cheviot Hills and Upper Coquetdale thread. Ta.