Thread: Corwen walking festival

Mini Goon

Being an aviddevotee of Snowdonia I've used both Corwen and Llangollen as convenient staging posts for nomson the journey to Snowdonia National park more times than I care to remember. Rarely have I considered these places as launch points for any serious walking. On my way back from camping near Betws-y-Coed last weekend I was given a leaflet about Corwen walking festival.

Initially I dismissed it (noproper walking to be had there thought I)but on closer inspection there are somereally lovely walks with a range of lengths, degrees of ascent andtopography. Tree hunting, caving and gorge walking too. Most events are free and can be done with groups or by yourself(besides the caving and gorge walking I think). I shall be opening my mind and exploring the beautiful Dee Valley and North Berwyn Way I think. Maybe see other OM'rs there too?

Corwen Walking Festival, 31st Aug-1st Sept 2013

I can't really say I've ever felt tempted by the idea of a walking festival, but I'd wholeheartedly recommend the area. We've explored lots of it in the past 4 years since it's become our nearest hill area (less than 30 mins drive, and great when time/weather don't make the extra journey to Snowdonia worthwhile).

There's loads to go at in the area - the Berwyns, Llantysilio mountain (combine it with a trip on the railway from Llangollen to Carrog), Worlds End and Eglwyseg Mountain (stunning limestone cliffs and heather moorland), Castell Dinas Bran, the River Dee and Llangollen canal, Pont Cysyllte aqueduct, Offa's Dyke national trail running north into the Clwydians or south past Chirk and Oswestry, the hills of the Ceiriog valley (cracking mtb country too!).

Definitely worth more than just driving through to get somewhere else...

Widdler

Good to see that Corwen is getting the recognition it deserves as a walking destination.
    For more Information about the Corwen Walking Festival 31st Aug-1st Sept go to:

http://www.corwenwalkingfestival.co.uk/

Initiate

There's a little site at Carrog which mightn't be as crowded as the campsites in Llangollen. Couldbea good place to meet up for the festival

Widdler

Details of the Campsite at Carrog

Station Campsite

Carrog, Corwen, Denbighshire, LL21 9BD

www.stationcampsite.com

01490 430347

enquiries@stationcampsite.com