Thread: Hoolie v Minerat

The new Hoolie from Wild country

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-an...hoolie-2-tent/

v

The tried and tested Minaret

http://www.macpac.co.nz/minaret.html

Is price the main difference? I can't really see much else.

I already own a Minerat but is getting old now

I have saved for a new Minerat but now might buy the Hoolie

What do you think ?.....

Which is the better tent for wet and windy bogs

Does the Minaret have anything you'd like changed? If so, does the Hoolie change it in a way you'd like?

In what way is the gettng old making your Minaret unfit for use? Minarets use polyseter flys which don't degrade nearly as much as nylon in UV so the fly should last very well, if the groundsheet's toast you might have it replaced for quite abit less than the cost of a new tent.

I suspect the main reason the Mac costs more is it uses silicone elastomer coatings on the fly rather than PU. This heat-ages the fabric considerably less so you end up with a fabric that has rather higher tear strength, and gives it a further edge in the UV stakes. It also sheds water better when you give it a good shake before packing.

Pete.

Mini Goon

Wel if you want to save yourself over £300 + buy the Hoolie as it uses the same materials as the zaphryos 2 XL which i have and it seem well made to me and i paid £126 for mine.

I was interested in buying a Hoolie 2 myself as there reasonably priced and weigh 2.3kg but ended up geting the Zaphryos 2 XL instead.

For the price of that yank tent i was expecting a ultra light tent that weighed less than 1kg BUT it turns out its 100g heaver that the Hoolie which costs a hell of a lot less.

Also things to consider are that if your importing that Minaret from the US then i can prity much guaranty you will be hit with import charges 20% ( but customs normally pull the tax charge out of arses and rape you for cash) so that already lofty price will bulge even more.

The Wild country tents are 3 season tents so if your looking for a 4 season tent then you better of looking at the higher priced and higher speced Tera nova tents which is Wild Country's big brother company.Plus you will have the advatage if you buy from Wild Country or Terrra Nova of buying from a English company so you can get spares or repairs alot more easily if things go wrong.

Why import a Mac from the US? There are loads of Mac stockists in the UK, e,g, Needlesports. Macpac have SMG as a designated repairer for the UK so spares and repairs aren't a particular problem.

Looking at what I'd said above and re-checking Mac's website I was wrong about the Minaret using a polyester fly: it's nylon, but it is silicone elastomer coated rather than PU. While not as good long term in UV as polyseter, nylon is stronger to start with, so the Minaret's fly will almost certainly have much better tear strength. The poles are chunkier too, it should be a much stronger tent than the Hoolie.

Pete.

‹bermensch

Why indeed. That Needlesports vouch for them is always a good recommendation. Plus they are from New Zealand which makes the designs generally more suited to UK conditions than most 'Yank' tents. Lot's of things in the detail of the tents fabrics as Peter states that add to the cost.

I'm sure they used to be Poly from the mk2. I had a new flysheet made for my mk1 Mineret from the stuff. That was just an extravagance to ensure it's longevity when they brought out the mk2 which I'm not so keen on design wise (pressure from Dutch/German market apparently). The original flysheet is still fine after 18 years. SMG made the fly & while it was to the old pattern using the later material it looks factory made. They do a grand job. They have recently replaced the groundsheet on a mates mk1 of similar vintage as it was delaminating & fitted a lighter material he spec'd. SMG are now Hillebergs repair agent in the UK.

I know someone who may be in the market for a s/h Mineret so if it's in good order (which I guess it might not be if you're thinking of renewing?) please drop me a PM.