Thread: Mountain Hardwear Trango 2 Leaking Groundsheet

Initiate

10 year old M.h Trango2 tent used about dozen times in mint

Condition however after only half dozen times groundsheet

Has always leaked to varying degrees now its like a swimming pool

Camped in Glen Etive Sunday night and poured down all night

Had to keep scooping water out with a cup that's how bad its got

Theres no holes in the groundsheet,love the tent however its not good in its current state, especially with scottish weather I'm sure this tent Has always leaked in one way or another from the beginning

And I've dismissed it. My 2 mates have had the same problem one sold his the other

Got his exchanged no bother at all, m.h had agreed the groundsheet is faulty but won't exchange without a receipt! I've read online from loads of others saying

There groundsheet is faulty, infact it seems to be a common fault on early model trangos but mh arent admitting it . my mate wasn't asked for his receipt as he doesn't have one and he Bot his 2nd hand on eBay, so a rule for one and diff rule for another

Should I take this up with trading standards? Is there anything I can use to fix the groundsheet or is it goosed plain and simple, I do have a funny video I'll upload to YouTube off the swimming pool in my tent my neo air was a great inflatable as I'm battling the waves scooping the water out so much for a 4 season Expedition Fortress

Any Advice greatly appreciated

Really want to save the tent

10 years old. They want a receipt. So what? Rather well above and beyond anything they are legally required to do. If you can prove you bought it from new then use that. If not. Tough.

To be blunt, it would have taken you less time to discover your consumer rights than type your post.

But, in short, you don't have any.

10 years old I rather doubt trading standards will have much they could do. If it was faulty then someone might have reasonably pointed that out about 9 years ago, inside the typical warranty period.

Get in touch with Scottish Mountain Gear and ask them how much for a new groundsheet fitted, and that'll save it.

Pete.

‹bermensch

As has been said already I doubt trading standards would even look into it for you after 10yrs. PC's suggestion re Scottish Mountain Gear is probably your best option or try talking very very nicely with MHW maybe see if they will replace the groundsheet at cost if you are lucky.

I would say it is worth sorting the groundsheet out as the MHW tents overall are well made, but even the best will have a few duds that get past QC.

Initiate

There tents come with a lifetime warranty, ie not 10yrs

And they've set a precedent of exchanging my mates

So it can be done, I'm sure I could probably get a bank statement

Is like to salvage the tent if possible

Initiate

Had it for many years and oddly enough never used in the wet

Until few years ago when I noticed it, not a major problem

Pissed they exchanged my mates without hesitation and no receipt

Yet I'm having no joy, do people keep receipts of old tents?

There tents come with a lifetime warranty, ie not 10yrs

But that's usually the lifetime of the tent, not the lifetime of the owner, and excludes wear and tear. The bit of a tent that tends to get most wear and tear is the groundsheet... I'm not trying to suggest it's not faulty, just that proving it's faulty with a fault that only became evident after a decade is going to be a bit of a game.

As Speed says, talk to them nicely and you might get somewhere, but I really don't think trading standards will have much to say about it.

Pete.

Initiate

I know Pete

The tent is in mint condition barely a mark on it so that would indicate its been well

Looked after and not misused, m.h agreed with my friend that there was

A fault with the older tango groundsheet, so they know there was a problem

Replaced my mates no As asked with a brand new trango I don't even want a new one

Just my old one fixed shame just so happened I only used it a handful off times and in good weather but in Scotland the risk of rain is fairly constant

Its not just one area its the whole groundsheet I'd swear its now porous like a teabag

I'll have another go but there not having it

How old was your mate's tent?

MH haven't set a precedent. They have simply provided excellent customer service well beyond what they are legally bound to do.

Initiate

Agreed, same age model as mine, I'll have another bash if not I'll Try the SMG Repair option,

‹bermensch

Mention politely about your mates tent ( if he says it is ok to do so) his name age of tent and when it was exchanged/repaired ( don't push or sound too much like you want a new one like your mate got, just the groundsheet sorted that way hopefully you do not come across to a company like any other that would be a bit sceptical about the actual reason).

maybe if you are really lucky someone will say those famous company words "well on this occassion as a GOODWILL gesture" if you send it to us we will repair/replace it.

‹bermensch

Also most lifetime warranty's are for the lifetime of the original purchaser from new if it was the lifetime of the product well whats that 1 day 1 month 1 year or 10 years who knows ? So they place it on the original purchaser for this reason that is what karrimor did with their Goldwarranty on the rucksacks such as the Condor range, the silver gave if memory serves me right a 5 year warranty.

(Imagine SD doing that they would be giving everyone new sacks every year or so )

Initiate

I've had the tent from new, When put in context with crux

Lifetime warranty i have an old crux AK50 Rucksack

My laminated zip was peeling , contacted crux ,swift reply saying ah yes that's

Right there was an issue with early laminated zips, and I had a brand new lid within

The week No Q's asked. I'll give it another bash, I'd be happy with any kind of repair

My mate was lucky chancing his arm with a 2nd hand tent and got lucky

Just annoyed that m.h know a large batch of trangos were faulty and won't back

Up there Gtee. Had a reply back from SMG regards replacing the groundsheet

£70 so that's not bad was thinking much more so all in all I can still save the tent

Initiate

William If I were you I would just buy a product like McNett Tent Sure (http://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/tent-sure#10609) coat the floor and that would be it.

Initiate

Yeah might be an idea however I don't want a messy

Job. MSG looking likely replace it for a nice New one be as good as New

Rreally is a cracking tent worth £70/£80 to save it especially as I'v Sold my Super Quasar

MY MH tent has the same groundsheet as the Trango and guess what - it leaks. It is a common issue. I'm getting by with that Tyzak stuff under it at the moment but at £70 for a replacement floor, that may be the way to go.

Initiate

Yeah looking that way, I've alway Used the footprint and my floor is still piss poor

good Scottish horizontal rain soon negates the added benefit of the footprint rain still gets between both groundsheet and footprint, I unfortunately left it to

Long and Wasn't aware of the problem as the first handful of Times I used the tent over many years it was always dry unusually

Live and learn I'll just pay the £80 for a heavy duty groundsheet