Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGO subscription offer conned hmm

Initiate

I recently emailed and called TGO to ask if i could start my TGO subscription and get a free osprey mutant pack worth £99.00, I made it very clear that if they could not supply me with a pack then i did not want to get the subscription, they made it clear that if there was a problem they would contact me first.but after they have taken the money from my account, I emailed just for an update and they have amazingly now ran out of the osprey and are trying to send me a vaude 15l piddly day sack worth £30, im really unhappy, has any one else been conned into a subscription for this item? , a member on here has received his and advertised it it the classified forum then put it straight on ebay !!!

Mini Goon

Sean if you've got all the Emails (yours and theirs) you should be able to get your dosh back, provided that they have undertaken to supply the mutant bag or inform you of their inability to, and seek your agreement to replacement prior to removing money from your account. Of course cancelling the subscription and refunding money may cost them, so it might be worth pointing out that if they stump up the bag or a bag of equivalent quality value and volume (which is reasonable after all) you'll keep the subscription?. Strikes me 15 litres, and 30 quid aren't quithe on an even par with 100 quid and 40 litres

Initiate

hi tim they tried the old its our discretion to replace item with sometihng else, but the have not notified me , i hadvto email them , one if the sadest things is a member is advertising his on ebay !

Look at the small print.

"if we run out, we reserve the right to supply .........."

The same happened to me but they asked if I still wanted the subscription and a 20L Vaude or if I wanted to cancel and get my money back. That was last year. I sold the vaude on Fleabay to help pay for the subscription.

Initiate

hi mikel there was no small print sent to me either by email r in the post ! , but i know companies can normally have reserve the right, but they could at least contact you first , before they take your money to, give you the opportunity to cancel , would you not agree this would be common courtesy and good customer service ?

*While stocks last.

The clue's in the wording.

Initiate

yep thanks for the obvious , im complaining about their terrible lack of communication. i hadto contact them to find out

Ultra King

How did you enter into the subscription? If you saw the page offering you the sack, filled in the form/phoned/emailed the number to take it up you will probably have read the terms. If you have emails explicitly saying they will give you a last chance to back out if they've run out of your preferred gift then it sounds a bit naughty but the gift deal is surely still under the terms on the offer page.

They've always stated the gift is not guaranteed. I even think in the early days of these offers they stated the number they had to give away. The risk of not getting the gift will always be there which is why I've never done it. I think that the best you can do is use the emails to cancel or accept the subscription and free gift such that it is. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have a subscription for the magazines that is less than the cover price and a rucksack. Still a win just not as big a win as you wanted. Not a con in my book.

‹bermensch

You have as much right as them to impose terms on a contract their terms are subject to availability you said you made it clear that the contract was subject to recieving the bag. If they take your money they are agreeing to your terms as well and have breached them thus nulifying the agreement, after all they can say sorry we won't be able to accept your terms and not enter into a contract with you.

Now this all sounds great but your problem is proving that you said that you were willing to subscribe as long as they did supply the Osprey Mutant bag ( this is were recording telephone calls comes in handy, and yes it is legal even without informing the other party).

If you can not prove this then best to tread a bit more diplomatically at least at first if you can, tell them you have a recording or email that shows this dated same day or prior to you entering the contract. If they still do not wish to refund/offer similiar report them.

I would start diplomatically by speaking to a manager not some telephone operative who has little power to do anything, explain what was said politely and that this constitutes a verbal agreement to the contract that they accepted by taking your money, they never contacted you that the sack was no longer available as was part of this agreement thus you are entitled to a refund in full and the contract being cancelled.

Hopefully somewhere along the way if you are flexible and the manager is reasonable you will both come to a mutually satisfactory agreement, after all they do not want bad publicity.

Good luck with it Sean

Initiate

Hi All TGO have agreed to cancel my subscription as I have several replies from them on Email saying they would get in touch if there was an issue with the rucksack and I can prove they have not . thank you for all your good advice , big kev there has never been anything ever given to me or even on the advert on their web site (i printed it off)stating while stocks last!, but thanks for your message. its just such a shame they can take your money and dont even bother to inform you that they cant keep theirend of the bargain, I KNOW sometimes its while stocks last! or we reserve the right but they screwed up this time as neither were either sent to me or on the offer online. and its such a shame when people who do get them just put them on ebay to sell, when i could have done with a new rucksack hmm, any way thanks all for your support.

annoying innit. i subscribed to TRAIL magazine once, and had the same problem, which took months of emails to and fro'ingto sort out. I'll never eversubscribe to them again on principle. the annoying thing was i subscribed the day after the offer was advertised but eventually, two months later they told me they had no more stock. then they offered me something else and after another month or so told me that was out of stock as well! bah humbug!

‹bermensch

Good luck to those who sell their 'freebie'. If I get something I don't want I reserve the right to do what I want with it & if that means my incentive is turned into cash so much the better. Someone's still likely to get a bargain. Wasn't me by the way - I stopped subscribing to 3 mags now & just buy the ones I want - not many.

"big kev there has never been anything ever given to me or even on the advert on their web site (i printed it off)stating while stocks last!, but thanks for your message"

Says it quite clearly under the current offer. Perhaps they recently added it?Anyhoo, few years back, I subscribed to Trail. The free gift of a wee Markill stove never materialised so the (then) Editor sent me his

Unfair Contract Terms Act may be worth a look. My expectation in these circumstances is that if a gift is not provided it should be replaced by a gift of equivalent value (which clearly did not happen here). Clearly consumers are enticed into the offer by the free gift and the terms should be given equivalent weight, not hidden in small print. What's to stop a company offering a huge gift, subject to availability, then only actually buying one?

Sean did the right thing by making clear his receipt of the desired gift was a term of the contract, so no receipt of this was a breach. Well done for sticking your ground.

Initiate

I subscribed to TGO a few years back. I let my sub lapse after a year. I still get phone calls from their subs dept. trying to get me to re-subscribe. In fact a few months ago they were phoning me more than once a week, even though I don't answer their calls.

‹bermensch

The thing to remember here is that you need to make sure you record conversations, keep emails and that you can imposse terms on the company in exactly the same way they do. So if you are looking to subscribe to any magazine because of a free gift you want then make sure you stipulate that the subscription is on condition of recieving this gift.

The company then have two choices firstly accept your order binding them to your terms or refuse your order.

Glad to hear you have it sorted Sean

I am like SB I just buy those issues that interest me after checking them out at the local Library (WH.Smiths). But would consider subscription for a free gift like the Osprey but by time I saw the offer I new they would have handed out the few sacks they had.

‹bermensch

I've taken advantage of a few of these offers over the years, when it's kit I've really "needed", and TGO have generally been very reliable in delivering the goods -- unlike Trail. Pity if TGO has sunk to the same level as the Trail publisher. Seems to me it pretty much amounts to dishonesty if they know they haven't got access to enough of the items offered to meet the likely demand, and more so if they then try and fob you off with something of much lower value.

Initiate

The other year I took out a TGO Subscription on the basis I would receive an Osprey Talon 33 Rucksack I later received a phone call, at no prompting from myself, saying no Talon rucksacks left but would I accept a Stratos pack in its place. Having confirmed the size and colour I wanted was available I accepted the alternative as it was in effect a "like for like" replacement (spec/price). Not sure what I would have said if they had offered me an "inferior" alternative.

‹bermensch

If they offer a like for like or very close then I don't think any reasonable person would complain but if they offer a couple of extra issues or a thirty quid sack instead of one valued nearer to hundred quid then that is not on hopefully TGO will read these posts and realise that they need to make sure they deal with customers proffesionaly and consideratly.