Thread: Walking the GR10 in June 2013

Widdler

Hi all, just joined the forum as i am planning to start the Gr10 in June.

Read the books, studied the maps, gave up my job, so i guess i am commited now

I decided to travel by train from London St Pancras to Hendaye and start walking hopefully all the way to Banyuls. Just need to get a lot fitter over the next two months ready to take on the Pyrenees.

Anyone want to compare notes or talk about kit etc please join in.

Terry - you might want to do a search for 'Haute Route Pyrenees' or 'HRP' as there have been several discussions of trans-Pyrenean routes with some good info contributed on the forum over the years.

‹bermensch

You might like to read this from our man on the spot:

hendaye

Goon

As Ed says there is loads of info on this forum on kit etc. I used to live in Cauterets and now live in Hendaye (starting a new job in 2 weeks). Usually in June you could expect to find snow on the cols at 2000m. However, this year unless something drastic happens, if starting in June you may need to consider some form of winter equipment (unless starting at the end of the month). There has been an incredible amount of snow this winter. It is normal to have snow at this time of year but earlier on in the season there was so much there will be a lot left around June which could be quite dangerous. If your dates are not fixed I would put of the start date as late as possible, unless you want to caarry snowshoes etc.

I spoke to friends in Cauterets a couple of days ago and there is still 5 metres and more of snow at 2000m which will take a lot of melting. It isn't that cold at the moment but it is still snowing at about 1200m

Philip, I will be in the Pyrenees, staying at Estaing (nr Argeles Gazost() for the last 2 weeks in June. Can I hire snow shoes locally or will I need to take them?

Widdler

Thanks for the info about the snow, unfortunately i am all booked on the trains for the 8th June. How far could i expect to get from Hendaye before snow becomes a problem, bearing in mind i am not a fast walker and have no time constraint ?

Goon

Jim, Don't take the snowshoes as they may not be needed depending on the routes you decide to take. Estaing is small and in the summer most of the shops have packed away the winter gear. But you should be able to hire snowshoes in Argeles as there are a few outdoor shops.

Terry, You're looking at around 10 days going at normal GR10 pace, but as I said that could all change, it's just that there is a huge amount of snow this year and depending on your confidence and experience you could be OK without winter equipment. You don't have to decide yet as a lot can happen in three months.

Philip, thanks for the advice.

Widdler

Thanks Philip, i'm hoping for an early thaw !!

Widdler

Ok, considering the advice about late snow i have pushed back my start date to early July.

It would be a shame to find the route impassable after only ten days, plus it gives me a bit more time to improve fitness.

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.