Thread: Custom Ti Fabricators

Anyone aware of any outfit/individual who could knock a small job? Specifically, replacement flex-bars for a set of Grivel crampons (yes, I know it's not ideal, but my new boots don't quite fit even into the extension piece). I figure titanium might be more appropriate than steel when using things at/past the spec they're designed for.

‹bermensch

Just wondered whether you realise Grivel do a long flex bar that means their crampons fit up to size 50 boots. If even they're not big enough then I'd have thought steel would have been better than titanium for a diy job -- not sure ti would have the flexibility required. Would have to be the right kind of steel though, which might not be easy to find. Perhaps bolting two of the flex bars together might be an option?

The long flex bars fit my old size 49 Scarpas, but can't quite make it onto the size 50 ones that are waiting in the wings. The bolting together idea might work, actually, with the bolts located under the instep. Hadn't considered that, but it might be the first try, thanks.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Ti has issues with work hardening, so I'm not sure* that it's well suited to this application; flexing will cause work hardening (stopping it flexing), followed by fracture.

* not that I'm an expert metallurgist. Or even an inexpert metallurgist...

‹bermensch

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the flexible connection bars used by most crampon makers are made from spring steel, which is a particular alloy. Not got the faintest idea about what grade or thickness would be required. Perhaps if the bolt idea doesn't work then you could have a word with the guys at Needlesports, to see if a longer regulation bar from another manufacturer might do the job.

hi did you try emailing Grivel as most will go out of there way to help

is this wot you wont http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/Grivel_Semi_Flexible_Twin_Bar/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=directory&utm_conte nt=GBR&currency=GBP&country=GBR&SelectedBundle=178 181&gclid=CIiZooWDkLYCFabLtAod90AAJw