Thread: looking for a softshell....

Widdler

ok, so Im probably asking for the moon on a stick, but I figure I wont be the first so I'll pick brains on here.

Im after a lightweight softshell, I can wear for hiking and wear in public without looking like a freak. Ideally it'd have pit zips and a scooped tail (longer at the back). It must be windproof.

Any ideas?

‹bermensch

Sounds like you're pretty much describing a Pertex windshell, barring the bit about pit zips. That's what I'd recommend on the basis of what you write, unless you want a bit of warmth, or water resistance or...

Softshells come in a vast array of different styles and functions even from the same company.

Take Montane, you could get a very lightweight, packable windshirt like the Lite-Speeda more robust but still lightweight softshell like the Dynothrough to aSabretoothmade from Powershield. They get heavier, but also more robust and more weather resistant. It's a balance. You need to know how long you want to be able to use the jacket before reaching for your hardshell. The whole point of a softshell though is that it is more breathable than your hardshell so there is no point going too far along this continuum.

From your mention of pitzips and "windproof" you may be thinking of a jacket made of Gore Windstopper, something like this TNF one. But lots of people would say Windstopper is not breathable enough to be a good sofshell option, except for going down the pub... .

Oops linked the Lite-Speed twice instead of the Dyno.

While I realise that this is probably misguided, there is the odd 'properly breathable' softshell with pit zips.

RAB's Exodus, a couple of bits from Norrona cf this and this and maybe others. Mind you with this sort of properly breathable fabric they're merely vaguely nice to have rather than remotely critical. Consequently they're rare.

(For temperature control cf Paramo/Buffalo etc.).

They also push the weight up quite a bit taking them firmly out of the really lightweight category. Windshirt for hiking and something heavier/tough for everyday is a very sane option.