Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GARMIN etrex 10 for Dummies

Widdler

Hi, I am not a young person but not stupid, but this has got me.

After being introduced to Geocaching and enjoying it using my iphone, I was recommended to get a GPS. When I read up, it seemed the Garmin Etrex 10 was the better handheld, as it did not lose signal under trees etc., picking up signal from two satellites.

However, how you use it, well!!

After looking at the Quick Start Up Guide and the Manual on Garmin.co.uk (nothing alike) I am still dumbfounded. Can anyone guide me to a means of explaining in layman's language how to use it PLEASE ...........

‹bermensch

In your case see if you can find a GPS-course... And the Etrex 10 is a very simple GPS but for paperless geochaching your better off with an Etrex 30. But again do first a course on how to use GPS-devices (with mapping capabilities)

Widdler
    Thank you - who would run such a course please?

‹bermensch

I wouldn't know since I'm not a local. But normally such coursesare organized by hikinggroups, mountain rescue organizations etc.

‹bermensch

Oh and there is a book called GPS for Dummies. Autor Joel Mcnamara type With illustrations Language English Dimensions 23x230x186 mm Weight 604,00 gram ISBN10 0470156236 ISBN13 9780470156230

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

You are to be forgiven for not finding the Garmin User Manual very useful. I've just downloaded it, and it's even poorer than Garmin's usually poor offerings.

There is a section on geocaching, but it assumes you want to use the OpenCaching website, and download cache details to your GPS; you may want to operate in a more simple manner.

The simplest way of using a GPS for geocaching is to set it to WGS84 datum, lat/long display (geocaches locations are specified in WGS84 lat/long), and walk about until the displayed position equals that of the geocache; you're in complete control. For a bit more sophisticated operation, you can enter the location of the geocache, and have the GPS receiver guide you there.

For general guidance on how to set up and use a GPS unit, you might like to have a look at Lyle Brotherton's videos and articles:

http://micronavigation.com/learning-...fficult-stuff/

http://micronavigation.com/wp-conten...-June-2012.pdf

http://micronavigation.com/satnav-checklist/

http://micronavigation.com/using-your-satnav/

I'd suggest creating a couple of 'profiles' for the Extrex 10; one for geocaching, using a WGS84 datum and lat/long display, and one for UK navigation with OSGB grid references, using the OSGB36 datum and OSGB grid reference display. Then you can switch to the appropriate profile for the task in hand.

By the way, all GPS receivers listen to multiple satellites; they have to in order to calculate a position. It's basically triangualtion in three dimensions, and you need 3 satellites to get a 2D position, and 4 satellites to get a 3D position. The more satellites you can receive, the more accurate the calculated position (generally speaking...). Most modern receivers will handle at least 12 satellites, assuming they're visible in the sky.

The main advantages of a dedicated GPS receiver over an iPhone are longer battery life and better weather and physical resistance. They will probably be more sensitive (i.e. able to receive weaker satellite signals) than a phone, due to having a better antenna.

Widdler

Which screen just shows me the grid ref of where I am at any time. Just got my new device loads on it but just want to see something that says you are at XXXX XXXX

in UK OSgrid ref format

Anyone know ??????

The Trip Computer option. Access that by pressing lower left button, then selecting.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

"Which screen just shows me the grid ref of where I am at any time."

I'd advise reading some of the links I posted above ('The Difficult Stuff', then watch the video 'Setting up a GPS receiver for the first time'). You will need to set up the unit to use the OS coordinate system.

Widdler

how do i put waypoints in alphabetical order on a etrex 10

Banned

Nana, I looked around for you and I guess here is something that might help you out:

http://www.amazon.com/GPS-Dummies-Jo.../dp/0470156236

Hey Smokey Joe, here is an article that could help with the alphabetical sorting on that etrex 10 you mention:

From the Waypoint Manager, press the menu button, then Sort Alphabetical. They should all show then.

http://gpstracklog.com/2012/03/garmin-etrex-10-review.html

Widdler

Hair extensions and hairpieces really can help to improve the looking of people and help to change them a lot hair extensions and hairpieces if choosing the right type and right style of hair wigs for you, of course that you will look and become more and more attractive and also buy cheap hair wigs now is easy as you can just get the ideal style that you want online at online shops now. I have just buy me ashort wigs styles and it is perfect.

Presumably aimed at e-Trex 10 users pulling their hair out...?

Widdler

Have just acquired an e-Trex 10 as I fancy trying some geocaching around Launceston, Tasmania. Have found out how to turn it on and where I am .... but I see from the above that I've some considerable amount of learning to do first!!!

Tassie Jan

Widdler

I get lost exploring the back roads and sites in cities . Will the 10 help me to find my way back to the car? Will that be easy to set up?

Widdler

Ps..will this work in all European cities and worldwide too? Does it cost to use or is it free after purchase.

Widdler

I get lost exploring the back roads and sites in cities . Will the 10 help me to find my way back to the car? Will that be easy to set up?

Widdler

I recently acquired an eTrex10 and can quickly answer some of the above:

(1) The eTrex10-20-30 are fully customisable so this makes life somewhat hard as it can do many things but initially hard to figure out how.

Most things are controlled by going to the desired screen and then pressing the MENU button - various options then appear. Pressing the menu button twice takes you back to main screen (or use the back button).

In any menu you can press setup and change the number of boxes and the contents of the box. This takes some playing around initially - and you can have 2 different modes for non-nav and navigating.

But basically: you have 3 main screens to customise - Map display (the map wich you can add up to 4 elements), Compass Display (same as map but with compass), Trip Computer (has most number boxes - 1 to 8?).

Box options include current position (*location*), heading, speed, distance to next waypoint or destination, time, ETA to waypoint/destination, distance off route, pointer (a little direction arrow), odometer, bearing to next waypoint etc.

you can also change the order of the menu screen boxes.

(2) use PROFILES to save and select.

You can delete the default ones (and add back anytime).

Setup Profiles, create profile. Then click on it to rename.

You then use PROFILE CHANGE to select the desired profile.

once set up this works pretty well (eg. quick for LongLat - EN, or WGS84 to local reference system).

(3) find my car / waypoint / tag current location etc

2 immediate options available:

Man Overboard - just click and it shows distance etc to that point

Mark waypoint - click and enter name, notes etc. Can use current position or update to desired coordinates (shows current by default - so one click waypoint possible).

(d) map - limited and to be honest it sucks a bit. I prefer to have heaps of data boxes to help with navigation.

(e) route management - can be done with GPS unit (which is a bit fiddly) or can upload via USB cable.

Garmin software does not come with it - so you need to download these from Garmin website. You can also try free easyGPS Software.

@Captain Paranoia

I am a 'real' GPS user (surveyor by trade) - and that was frustrating for me until I had it all customised as above. I have it set to show location in map screen when not navigating and have it as largest box (at top) in Trip Computer.

Which screen just shows me the grid ref of where I am at any time.

You can select the large display box in any of the above screens and set it to Location (selected) - which will display in the user set coordinates

(set coordinate type and ref. system in setupposition format)

sorry brief, but hopefully provides some insight.

Widdler

Garmin software: (free for Garmin website, including unit updates + free/paid 3rd party options). Connection is via USB (standard min-USB connection in unit).

Garmin website provides USB drivers for NMEA/Garmin virtual com port feeds (as required for use with mapping software)

If connected to internet at time of first plug-in the USB-storage requirements are auto-installed.

need Garmin USB drivers - free from Garmin website - to set up virtual com port and must set GPS to "not-USB storage" mode.

Can upload Garmin GPX files etc in 'USB storage' mode with or without any software. Can also backup profiles to PC etc this way.

can use the Garmin Express software (free download) but this is optional, or can use windows explorer, or something like easyGPS for route related stuff.

some 3rd party like easyGPS and OziExplorer support Garmin eTrex directly on PC via USB (see these websites for information).

negative: mini-USB port is at top-back, which is a pain. Would have been nicer to be at the bottom-bottom so GPS is upright and 'flat' when GPS is live feeding.

Widdler

USB modes:

from main box menu setup system USB Mode:

options are Mass Storage or Garmin.

(apparently Garmin binary - you may need software/drivers to provide a virtual NMEA stream - though many 3rd party support Garmin binary directly)