Thread: The Story of Goretex

Widdler

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...ne.html?page=1 (runs to 6 pages but worth the read I think)

Interesting read, as you say.

One thing that strikes me as not quite right is "venerable gear maker and Gore licensee Lowe Alpine debuted a new line of outerwear featuring eVent, only to promptly pull the garments and revert back to using Gore-Tex. (Lowe Alpine later closed up shop entirely.)"

My recollection is Lowe had decided Triple Point Ceramic could not be developed further and the introduction of Goretex XCR would start to see it left behind. They debuted eVent as a TPC replacement but at around the same time changed hands to Asolo, who were using Goretex, so the reversion was to Asolo's previous choice, not Lowe's (though Lowe used to use Goretex before they took up TPC). And, as we know, they haven't closed up entirely, but are now owned by Equipe, and won't be using Goretex...

FWIW I agree that a good fabric is only the start of a good garment.

Pete.

‹bermensch

I'm not condoning Gore's dodgy business tactics (allegedly) but in their favour they have been awarded best employer status formany years in the UK and further afield and are generally regarded as a company that really looks after their employees

Goon

Lowe Alpines Rep told me years ago they started using Goretex because it was a well known 'brand' the consumer would recognise which is why they dropped e-vent.

I'd never go near Gore again after falling for the bullshit that accompanied Goretex pack-light. Dreadful stuff.

Lowe Alpines Rep told me years ago they started using Goretex because it was a well known 'brand' the consumer would recognise which is why they dropped e-vent.

Petty much why Karrimor dropped Sympatex IIRC. When they started making waterproofs at the end of the 80s it was with a fanfare that they'd waited for a better technology than previosuly existed (i.e., Goretex, reading between pretty obvious lines), and they made some decent stuff, and it... didn't sell (I had a factory second for £40, excellent jacket, still use it for gardening). So they re-tooled with Goretex and pretty much the same designs sold reasonably well.

Ho hum.

I think Lowe and TPC were the first crew to make anything like a successful go of cutting ties with Gore, though as we've seen they went back to it.

Pete.

Initiate

Its interesting that Mountain Hardware did the tie up with the Event people to produce the DryQ elite fabric when the Parent Company Columbia decided to plump for the Outdry fabric. The number of Jackets that Columbia make in Outdry is also limited compared with the way its become the waterproof liner of choice in most of their footwear.