Thread: Compact Sleeping Bag

I'm after a nice compact sleeping bag, something that won't take up much space in my bag for wild camping and multi day hikes.

Ideally a3 season rating and with a fairly wide cut.

Size is the key as I want tokeep the pack size and weight down, my current sleeping bag takes up most of my 50L bag, as it will get a fair amount of use my budget would be up to £300 max always better if someone can suggest something cheaper.

Widdler

Check out Alpkit Pipedream. Packs down tiny and very good value for money (£150-£190). For me the 400 is fine for 3 seasons but I sleep ridiculously hot so ymmv. That said It's not the largest bag so if you can find someone with an Alpkit bag already it's probably worth trying it out first.

Roughly what size does it compact down to? Is it comparable to the quoted size on the Alpkit site?

Widdler

Just checked and in stuff sack mine is about 25cm long, 17cm diameter cylinder. I also had my silk liner stuffed in with it and there is room to compress it down a bit further so I'd say their figures are spot on, if not a little on large size.

Mini Goon

Get yourself onto PHD's site while the sale is on

www.phdesigns.co.uk

They have the combi bag in the sale which is basically a wider cut PHD minim) for £215.00 weighing in at just over 800gm's. It's rated at -5c with no zip in standard form (although ne can be added at additional cost/weight)

I am currently waiting for mine to be delivered for the same use as you have planned

Cheers

Hi, im currently selling a rab quantum 400

I bought mine to replace a pipedream 400 which i found a bit narrow.

Rod

‹bermensch

try to use your current sleepbag as a quilt. Just zip it completly open and sleep under your bag. If you like it then you might consider to invest in a real quilt. This style of sleeping is the lightest and smallest option (except ofcourse the alpin style sleeping in a down jacket and an elephant feet bag)

Goon

sshhh, dont tell anyone, Taunton lesuire ME Lightline £208, might be what you are looking for, its muchwider in the shoulder than alot of other bags. I'd get one myself if wasn't so skint.