Thread: Meindl boot wear

Widdler

Has anyone else experienced severe wear on Meindl's new Borneo 2 boot? At first I was delighted with this product which is well finished, well made, 'ball-race' lace cleats, and comfortable from first day. Not as hard underfoot as its predecessor Borneo 1 which I wore for three years.

But the Vibram heels show severe wear after less than 30 miles, none of them strenuous or over abrasive surfaces. At this rate these 160 boots will need retreading in 70/80 miles, this is 2 per mile so it's cheaper to take the car.

Perhaps the 'softer' walk comes from a softer rubber compound? Much as I like the boots they are unfit for purpose i.e. walking and they are going back to the retailer for refund.

Initiate
    I've got a pair of Air Rev's and a pair of softline gtx's and their soles are good for 1500 miles or more. Sorry to hear your Borneo's are wearing thin. I had a pair of Karrimor boots that wore out very quickly indeed. Ultra comfy, but very soft rubber compound - hence the ??30 price tag.

You can walk in them. They are fit for purpose.

Perhaps you mean not of merchantable quality in view of their intended purpose.

Assuming they have been used for a purpose for which they are fit of course.

I have a pair of Kansas GTX and a pair of Himalayas, and both are exceptional. I had a slight peeling of the rand on the Kansas, but other than that they've been faultless over 500 miles, with virtually no wear at all. And this is over a variety of terrain, scrambling, rocky jams etc.

Could it be that you have accidentally walked through something corrosive maybe? Oil, chemicals, nitrates/fertiliser possibly?

It does sound quite premature. Email Meindl directly, they are very, very good at customer service.

Widdler

Thanks folks for your comments. I have used the boots mainly for road walking and they were comfy from day one. On similar use (one mile to the paper shop and back) I have a pair of stout shoes that show less wear yet have covered at least 150 miles. The wear is about halfway up to the light coloured layer which I think is a cushion, once the last pair of Borneo 1s wore into this layer it wore very quickly but that took three years! I'm sorry I did not get them resoled.

Widdler

The retailer, Jackson Sports of Belfast, agreed that the wear was unacceptable but they too cannot explain it.They have paid for resoling the boots once they wear out at the end of this season. I'm glad to keep the boots and given such excellent customer service I shall certainly return to Jackson Sports for future needs.