Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garmin Basecamp

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

And with ed's national trails GPX file, you can use a number of free mapping and visualisation tools, such as GoogleEarth, or OruxMaps and Locus on Android, in conjunction with open source mapping.

I've just been playing with the track on my Hudl 1, using OruxMaps and various mapping based on OpenStreetMap, and draping onto 3d terrain using SRTM HGT files I downloaded for the UK years ago. The Hudl struggles a bit with the 3d computation required for the display, and downloading the mapping tiles to drape, but it does it, and once drawn, it will allow you to rotate and change viewing elevation in real time.

Widdler

I have a Montana 650t and whilst the unit is pretty awesome Basecamp is atrocious.

I can plot routes - just make sure the Activity profile is set to Direct - this seems to turn off the auto calculate function.

However by far the easiest way I have found to create routes is to NOT USE Basecamp! Goto to the Ordnance Survey site - pay 20 for an annual years subscripton to all their on-line maps right down to the 1:25k ones - create the route on their site and then export it. If when you loaded basecamp it installed correctly [ I have windows 10] when you export the GPX file from the OS site it should then automatically open up into Basecamp and then you can save it to your device.

Did that for some walks in the Peak District recently and down on the Kent coast this weekend and it all worked a treat.

Mini Goon

My Garmin Etrex is a great bit of kit but I usually only use Basecamp for buying then copying Birdseye imagery onto the device. For creating routes and indeed any other digital mapping task I use Memory Map software. The 3D function is particularly impressive.

Mini Goon

Ah ha, memory map. Thanks Bob, I thought I remembered a fly through facility! And thanks to the Captain for the idea of putting the GPX into google earth. I'll give that a go.

Thanks to all, I'll get back on the computer and have a good look soon enough. Not actually walking the PW till June.

Mini Goon

I've had a better look at all these options now. It's been quite a frustrating experience. They are all teases. Each offering looked so appealing and full of promise but on closer inspection turned out to have limited functionality, frustratingly complicated clunky interface or to be of no use when away from my desk and actually ... err walking.

(1) Memory Map looks good, but only from a distance.... as it doesn't work on Macs.

(2) The Ordinance Survey browser and app software look promising at first, with an easy user interface. I was tempted to ditch the Garmin GPS and just use my phone with battery back up but it won't accept the National Trails Pennine Way GPX as it has too many waypoints. Which is in fact of academic interest since any routes that you create on the OS browser software cannot be transferred or synced to the OS app on the smartphone to take with you.... how useful is that??!

I wanted to save some of the user created walks that I found on the OS site, so that I could bring them up and use them when I'm in the Dales in a few weeks time but you can't save them on the browser and anyway you can't transfer or sync them to the OS smart phone app to take with you. I did manage to save them as GPX files, which means that I can put them on my Garmin. Seems mad really; these are day walks, created by OS subscribers and displayed on an OS website but they have to be transferred to another platform to be used.

So that is OS. I doubt I will pay for any more than the month I have already paid.

(3) Viewranger. I can't remember now what I thought about view ranger. Better go and have another look.

Conclusion: I've put the National Trails pennine way route on my Garmin GPS and it does what I want, in that it has a continuous line rather than just the waypoints of the GPX in the Trailfinder Guide. So I'll probably leave it at that and make no further efforts to be more techie about my walks.

Except that the other outcome is that I now realise I don't really need or want to carry my Garmin. I only bought the Garmin because I was camping on the coast to coast and couldn't charge a phone but for the PW I'm staying in B&B all the way. I can't see the point carrying both a phone and a GPS for the the very few occasions when a GPS backup ref is needed. I just need to stick the GPX on an app on my iphone. Probably Viewranger is the one for that.as I can't see anyway to import GPX into the OS app.

Thank you for all your comments and help.

Clare

Goon

Viewranger will probably do what you want, but have you looked at captain paranoia's suggestions above? If you have dropbox, Locus is the easiest to import gpx files of all the apps I've tried.

Mini Goon

Yes, but Orux and Locus are android and I use iOS. Further research reveals an iOS mapping app called Gallileo which apparently imports GPX but the mapping is not ordinance survey and it requires in app purchases etc to do so and since I'm not sure how good the final outcome will be, it's increasingly not worth the investment of time (already considerable) and money (increasing). I just want easy to operate and OS mapping so that it mirrors my hardcopy.

Mini Goon

Easy! I've worked out how to put the National Trail PW Gpx onto the OS Maps App on my iPhone, so I now have the GPX route on OS mapping on my iPhone, for the cost of a monthly subscription to Ordinance Survey, about 7.00. I just have to download the relevant map tiles for the route, to ensure offline access, which is at no extra cost.

I'm pleased with this outcome.