Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Basecamp

Widdler
    Hello I'm wondering if any one can help? I recently bought a Garmin 62st with 50k UK maps on a SD card. For the past few weeks I've been trying to make a route with Basecamp, however I've not been able to do so! I'm sure you have seen this type of question before and banging head in frustration! My apologies. The route I make keeps shooting off in all directions than where I would would like it to go (like a spiders web at times). I've changed the settings on the unit as well as Basecamp to hiking even mountaineering also auto/direct routing, to no avail. What am I doing wrong? Another note at times I would like the route to be adjacent to the path. Hmmmm. Also if you know of a Garmin basecamp lessons in South Lakes or any websites that that may have a good tutorial, if there is such a thing. I'd admit I'm not the smartest cookie when it comes to tech, so if you could reply in simple terms that would be great. There is a strong possibility of castration ??for buying an expensive paperweight. Many thanks

Widdler
    Excuse the eye strain, the paragraphs seemed to have disappeared, honest!

Mini Goon
    Have you tried creating a track first, rather than a route?
    The auto-setting for routes is a pain and I have not worked out if it can be disabled.........

Under 'Utilities' 'Options' select Activity Profile (a nice red car on mine); then select 'Direct' from the Dropdown menu that lets you choose between 'Hiking, Mountaineering etc etc'. That should do it....

To check...

Draw a route, right mouse-click to end. Click on the 'Select' blue arrow, double click on the route.

A dialog box should come up with series of tabs - select the 'Route Options' tab and then on the first drop down menu under 'Use Activity Profile' your profile should read 'Direct'.

There are those who may think that Basecamp is a counter-intuitive piece of shit with poor support. Enjoy.

Widdler
    Lemming, I,ve only been able to make tracks ha! However surely that defeats the object of buying a mapping device, it's rather frustrating but I'll keep plodding on.

Thanks for the advice Ed H, but no luck I'm afraid. Keeps routing me to nearest road then onto where I've clicked.

Have learnt a few things from??your post like double clicking on the route and going through utilities. Ed, on your device do have you selected?
    Lock on road: no
    Off road recalculation: off

It can't be this difficult I must be missing something.
    Any other ideas, from anyone?

I'm not gonna give up on this yet.

Mini Goon

This is from memory, as I don't have a pc here, but what I do do avoid the annoying auto-route thing is to plot the proposed route as a track, so it goes where I want it to, then if required, convert the track to a route. (I use BaseCamp for distance/height gained and lost for planning, rather than to follow a planned route using the GPS).

Ed's last sentence is a nice summary though!

Widdler
    Lemming I think you hit it in one.

I've been using the track but not converted it to routes, great idea.

Can you still use proximity alarms this way and input waypoints?
    Any negativity in using your method than making a route, meaning will I be loosing out on owt?

As Ed and yourself say, I've seen alot of frustration with basecamp over the web, I reckon I can still crack this, to much coin has been thrown into the device to not utilise it fully.

This thread would bring tears to a glass eye... BUT I'm learning something from it so cheers Lemmings.

Widdler

I'd go for toastytoask maps and where's the path....please google both up as there's lots of links...the toastymaps are better then Basecamp. Once you use those, the route can be saved and loaded into basecamp and then onto your garmin.

Forks. You have read garmin's rather ourt of date blurb. To the gps the only difference between a route and and a track is...well esssentially nothing other that a label attached to a route point.

A route and a track are interchangeable and for better planning, screen presentation etc it is better to use a track with your own waypoints overlaid onto it (i.e. a waypoint with something useful to say like,pub, bus stop, caravan should be here, great big cliff, escape point)

Widdler
    Maybe someone has a idea but I downloaded a map from toastytoask but how do I get them onto the etrek?

There are very full explanations of how to do this on the Talkytoaster site.....took me a few minutes and all was good. If you struggle you can always pay for the SD card.

Widdler

When you select 'direct' you must make sure it is selected for the route you are working on or creating and it must be selected before you start. Just changing it in the menu isn't enough as it will produce the route with your default setting - check that it is changed for the route you are working on by looking in the toolbar at the top and making sure 'direct' is selected there (if it is not on your toolbar go into veiw - toolbars and select ativity profiles)This should solve the problem

Widdler

I have been using Garmin Mapsource for YEARS. Compared to Mapsource the Base Camp software "seems" unbelievably poor. Ed is right.

How can Garmin get it so wrong.

The way the GPS world is going if Garmin dont buck up their ideas a bit they could be in trouble. People have so many alternatives these days that why should they put up with all the software crap that Garmin have always dished out. I reckon if their hardware hadn't always been the best they would have been in trouble years ago.

Yet I still persevere because when I eventually sort it all out I can only do the stuff I want to do on a Garmin. (I have a 62S and several Quests.)

Ted.

Widdler

Phew! Not the only one then!

I agree, the best way for planning a hike is using Tracks (two little boot prints). Can be a bit fiddly, and occasionally it seems the only way out is to delete completely whole route sections and start again. Also i keep forgetting to reset the tool, which can mess up the whole thing. Why haven't Garmin incorporated an 'Undo' button, so one can go back a few steps if necessary.

It rally is crap software, but I wouldn't hold your breath for Garmin to get it right - I've been waiting for years and they seem to waste every opportunity of a new software issue by just churning out more crap.

Also, I'm sure when I Tracked the Camino on my Montana I was able to 'autoroute' on footpaths; now I ma planning my Te Araroa route, it doesn't do it. Any advice?

Widdler

I know this is a fairly old thread, but having just bought a 64SMap, and tried to use Basecamp, my reaction was what a heap of shit. Don'tGarmin live in the real world? So I am relieved to know it is not just me being stupid for wanting to kick the PC into the next village. I know this doesn't help me or anyone else particularly, but thanks for the comments - I might shout a little less.

It's an old thread. Have you read it?

are you sure?

Basecamp sadly remains the same...

Shit.

Sad to say, I have a few problems with the Satmap Xpedition software, which has idiosyncrasies sufficient to drive one to either drink or a proper map....

Mini Goon

I bought a GPS and thought I was going to become one of those persons who could make routes, measure them, look at colourful graphics of elevations, discuss data on forums and float through 3D graphics of my intended walk from my computer desk chair. But alas no, for it is Basecamp.

I am pretty sure that even I devote many more days trying to improve my basecamp technique, it will still be clumsy and rubbish. So which is the software that does those things, And can I work on this other fantasy software and upload to my Garmin 64s?

There must be loads of more boffiny walkers than me who have done all this work for the Pennine Way (for this is what I want), yet the only stuff to beg or borrow on the internet seems to be the trailblazers waypoint collection (no linear route marking, no sexy data) or south west walking club's pink line and dizzying numbers of waypoints.

Pre-Prepared data on the Pennine Way anyone? Or better software where I can have some fun?

Thanks in advance.

Clare