Thread: Tips for WWC

Mini Goon
    Hi All
    Any tips for first time winter wildcamping ,I have been wildcamping in the Beacons this year and would like to try some winter nights out.
    Regards Lance

Get a tent with little blank space - easier to keep warm.
    Get a well-insulated mat.
    Have a cup of tea before you go to bed - drink it in the sleeping bag - to warm you up.
    Pee bottles are a godsend for those anatomically able to use them. (men)
    Make meals 3-4-5 courses. We have a brew, make soup, make dinner, eat pudding, have a brew. You'll ned a lot of sustinence to keep warm. Food is chemical energy that can be tranferred into heat energy as well as kinetic energy.
    Get a down jacket.
    Keep the gas canister at the bottom of your sleeping bag at night (wear socks so you don't feel it) and inside your jacket when outside.
    Take spare head torch batteries and something to read and some of your favourite tipple - winter nights are very long.

HTH

All of the above + get the warmest sleeping bag possible

Winter wild camping is great apart from...
    (i) condensation - which can be managed to certain extain
    (ii) having to get out of a warm sleeping bag (in a cold tent) in the morning...a bad bad bad moment

Make sure you have either running water near by or something to carry it in from further away.

That which is running in the evening might not be by the next day!!!

Ooooh I love wild camping in winter! One of the nice things about the long nights is that Bob and I get chance to talk for hours - or sit on a wee crag and gaze at the stars. life is often far too busy at home to relax like that - we love the uncomplicatedness of a long winter night in the open, all alone.

Frozen ground = hard ground; take a "powerpeg" or a 10" nail to open up the permafrost to get your pegs in.

Waterlogged ground; nice long stakes rather than light bendy alu pegs

Snow; some sacrificial loops on the end of your guys so you can loop them around rocks without your guys fraying. You can shovel snow around the base of your fly and it keeps the tent a bit more stable and heat in but the downside is needing to keep the door open a bit or you'll drown in your own condensation.

A tent that will stand up by itself rather than need all the pegs for its integrity is very nice. I've had to decamp into a bivvy on a snowy blowy night and it warn't much fun. Bought my Terra Nova the next week.

My tips are:
    Boil up some water and put in a 2 litre Platypus bladder, instant hot water bottle.

Stop taking liquids a couple of hours before going to sleep, that way your not waking up in the middle of the night for a toilet run.

Avoid alcohol if you can, reduces chances of going to toilet during the night and keeps you warmer as alcohol tends to lower your internal body temperature

Is anyone trying the Argos £15'er in winter conditions?

I may if I can get my hands on an affordable sleeping bag. Or may try sleeping in my 2 season sleeping bag, and use my down jacket.

Good luck Darren!!

Mini Goon
    Thanks all for the info on WWC,so far I haven't cooked when I have been out will have to start looking into it.
    Regards Lance

Lance - one thing we do in winter (when you need loads of carbs down you) is to leave some soup in the pan and use some of the soup residue watered down as the solvent for bacon-flavoured Cadbury's Smash instead of plain water. It makes it taste even better to lam in with the main course and cleans the pan for you while it's boiling up!

You'll have to compromise between Kyle's excellent advice not to drink for 2 hours before bedtime and my advice to sip a hot drink to warm you (and the bag) up. It depends how cold/hot you sleep. I'm a cold sleeper.

David, I have an ex army sleeping bad that I used to use when I camped from my motrorbike and weight was not an issue. It had a crossways zip at knee level and arms and a hood. I just used to open that zip, get my legs out, hook the tail end of the bag up to the hook there for that purpose and it was now a jacket and I never had to leave my warm bag.

Mini Goon
    Hi,

Hooray! hooray! Wild camping in winter - that's as good as it gets. Nothing beats waking up and looking out on fresh snow with no prints in it! I do a lot of high level winter camping up here in Scotland, have done loads in the alps, and was up in the arctic last winter.
    A few tips:
    1. You can guy the tent by filling carrier bags with snow and attaching the guys to them if the ground is too rocky, or the snow is too deep for pegs.
    2. Water bottle and boots in a bag at the bottom of your sleeping bag if it's REALY cold.
    3. A small gas lantern for the tent is a great treat, but make sure you're well ventilated. Candle lanterns are nice too.
    4. Make a big brew at bedtime and save a flask for morning.
    5. Wear glove liners all the time- getting your hand stuck to something metal is not fun!
    6. Sleep with hat and gloves on and you'll get away with a lighter, less bulky bag.
    7. Tailor your sleep system to be versatile - in winter I use a 2 season bag with a fleece liner and a goretex over bag and I'm toasty.
    6. If there's a lot of snow, use glacier glasses.
    7. If you want to trek in the snow buy snowshoes - it's the only way to go.

That's all I can think of for now, but have fun, fun, fun!

Regards,

Colin