Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargain Gear

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    Popped into Primark on Saturday to see if I could beat the £5 fleece trousers. And did, for £3.50, but they weren't special.

However, they did have quite a nice women's fleece hoody, in what looked to be a reasonable quality fleece fabric; nice and soft. And it was tailored quite nicely, with a zipped pouch pocket. A mere £4. That's silly money.

I have noticed that men, apparently, don't wear hoodies. At least no-one makes them. Men's Primark stuff is all pretty poor.

Tiso in Leith are having a sale, it lasts until 11th October.

Got hold of one of those hydration systems from ALDI. The sack is of good quality, the capacity is only about 7l, and it has a built in raincover. The hydration system is excellent, with fluid levels marked on, and a decent sized filling cap. Get one while they still have them!

2 months ago I did my favorite moorland route the Lyke Wake Walk which is 40 miles so it tests the comfort of what you wear.

My platypus back pack rubbed a sore spot in the middle of my back till it bled and two areas on my arms where the straps rubbed.I had some rubbing on my hips from my craghoppers shorts which I have had fro years and are usualy my most comfortable pair. Now AS I was in Yorkshir visiting family I did not see my Zed for a week until after the walk but when he saw the sfter efects of what my Bereli shock absorber bra had done his resopnse was 'what the hell happened to you'

Last friday I did the same route, I had my aldi rusk sack, my aldi running trousers and my aldi sports bra, not a mark.

If anyone can get to the Lowe Alpine shop at Castleford they have wommens dri flo tops for £5 a go. They are cheap as the necks have been made too small but i got mine on ok although I do have a very small head. It would not be difficilt to put a vertical split in the front of the neck and hemm it if you do want one but find the neck too tight over your head.

Mini Goon
    That 7 litre Aldi pack with 2 litre hydration bag ... has a built-in rain cover? To keep your water dry? ;-)

Rock & run have some top deals on sleeping bags at the mo I got Rab Atlas 1000 down from £205 to £130 there are also Rab Atlas 500 @ £100 from £170 Rab Atlas 750 was £190 down to £120. these are all down

They even have a Rab Eclipse rated to -12 for £55 was £125 this is a synthetic bag

No need to be cold this winter!

Now that, is a bargain...

John, it will also keep your borrowed mobile phone dry,and it does.

If you haven't ordered from Field and Trek before, use the voucher code EX79 for a 15% discount on clothing.

Cunninghams in Ambleside.I've got my last 8!pairs of boots/trainers from here.It's a bit pot luck BUT......I've had;
    salamon super mountain eight boots....£40
    " "trainers(with elastic lace thingy)£25
    Merrell chameleon hi's £40
    my brother and friends also had loadsa Salamon and merrell footwear.I begrudge paying proper price for footwear anymore now!

‹bermensch Cara-Lyn:  Stealth Sloth's Avatar
    Can I add a fleece hat from Matalan for £3?? OK not branded or posh, but warm and cosy for the winter

Can't remember the name of the shop, small place in Oban, sells climbing gear. Got a pair of Brasher Hillmaster Classic boots for £45.

For West Yorkshire folks...

Anyone know if a certain small, cramped outdoor store in Huddersfield is still operating? Can't remember the name (I might never have known it); I think it was in the Birkby district and was a wonderful place. Hardly anything was on display but if you went into the small shop and asked the old chap behind the counter for what ever you wanted - not by brand but along the lines of "got a good sleeping bag for taking to Nepal in November?" he'd rummage around in a million boxes (also behind the counter) and produce exactly what you needed at an amazing price.

Got to mention Andy Brennan's place in Friendly, Halifax, too. Another place where you'll get what you want at a great price though you might be kept chatting for a few hours first! Worth trying a trade there too - say, a barrel of beer for a top-spec Gore-Tex (if you need such a thing...).

For boots there's always Ben Aaron's on North Bridge, Halifax, where you'll pick up some amazing second-hand deals (though they might have had some sweaty squaddy's feet in 'em for a few weeks...)

John - do you mean the place at Elland? Same junction off the M62 as Hudderfield (Anley top) but turn right instead of left, loads of stuff hung up and a tiny floor space... if so, BAC Leisure, and it's still there.

Mini Goon
    Hi JJ,

NAh, it was definitely heading down the hill from that junction towwrds town, then heading left at some lights and the place was a few hundred yards down on the right. Years since I've been, years. Bought my sleeping bag there maybe 12/13 years ago.

I know BAC in Elland of course, another fine shop - one of those that seems to stock stuff for folk who actually still go into the hills for more than a day!

Keswick Mountain sports have waterproof flece lined winnister hats for £3 each in a basket by the door. They say they are kids sizes but the hats seam to fit small/ medium sized adult heads. Got my mate one so she can stop nicking my extremitys one.

Forgot to add a plug for

Outdoor World
    Penamser Road
    Porthmadog
    LL49 9LR

Since the Gelert warehouse is just down the road, and they had a load of 'faulty' Gelert stuff very cheap, I imagine it's Gelert's clearance outlet.

I picked up a pair of 'perfect' stretch nylon trousers for £10, and my mate found the rack of 34" waist 'faulty' trousers outside for £5. We could find no fault with them.

They had a lot of other stuff, like huge sleeping bags for £5, odds and sods, etc.

‹bermensch
    There is a shop in Ambleside on one of the side streets. Its near a 'proper' outdoor gear shop that favours Patagonia stuff. Anyway this is a small shop is up a flight of steps and disposes of gear from businesses that have gone bust. A lot of the stuff is down in the basement end of outdoor gear but you can pick up some real bargains. I bought a pair of Moonstone overtrousers for £100. I believe they normally retail at £200+.

It's called 'Rock Bottom', I think. I remember the steps to get into it, and baskets of stuff on and around them.