Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bargain Gear

I know there's quite a thread on rip off Britain, so I would like to start one on places to go for gear, where you don't get ripped off. There is a shop in Falkirk called James Leckie. It's an odd shop, sort of a salvage place with all sorts of odds'n'ends in it. he does get good outdoors gear on a regular basis.
    He had Craghopper poles which he was selling for about £12. I was in today and he only had 2 left, sans baskets, hence the price of £8 each. He has Berghaus fleeces, Craghopper jackets and Teva boots for about £35. His stock varies so if you are in the area pop in and see what he has. Today I bought a pair of Hotfingers gloves, waterproof and thinsulate lined, for only £4.50. They look pretty good. he also has a few Craghoppers rucksacks and daysacks, again quite cheap. Before you pay top dollar, pay them a visit.
    Anyone else have any other "Local Shops" where bargains are to be had?

‹bermensch Stuey, they know where they can stick their bank's Avatar
    The Mountain equipment oulets are good for picking up Karrimor, sprayway and Berghaus kit. Rucksacks esp. Usually to be found at Macarther Glen retail oulets.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar
    err... not sure I understand that. Do you mean ME the manufacturer, or a retailer using 'Mountain Equipment' as a trading name? Otherwise, I don't understand why an ME manufacturer's outlet would be good for other manufacturers' gear... confused...

Sorry freudian slip. Mountain Hardware stores, no connex to company. ME on the brain I'm afraid, sell a lot of Lifesystems and Gelert acessories as well.

Goon
    Great idea for a thread James.If we can get a load of recommendations we'll mention them in tgo...

Sadly, this one is probably too short notice, however....
    Next Thursday (the 7th) October ALDI have a daysack complete with hydration system for, wait for it.....£7.99. Yes. £7.99. My kids have been nagging me for one for ages and this seems ideal. 7l rucksack with integrated/ removeable 2l hydration system. weight: 700g. Large filling cap and non-drip bite valve. Usually Aldi's stuff is of fairly decent quality so I would think you'll get your moneys worth.

I have seen that, I might get one for a spare.

Goon
    And what about their boots at £12.99? A tgo reader wrote recently and reckoned they were very good value. I heard too at the recent trade show at Harrogate that Gelert, who make a whole range of budget priced gear, are going to be supplying Tesco's. What's happening to the world. I now buy my Sunday newspapers from my local garage, who also do some good deals on wine and now I might have to go to the supermarket to buy outdoor gear! As Wogan would say, "is it me?"

The first time I spent £150 in my dressing gown ammused me.

You cant even buy a hydration bag and drinking tube for £7-99 in the "big" shops, and considering its only a plastic bag and a few bits of poly tube we have all been well and truly taken the mick of ever since they were introduced.

But we still bought 'em though....

And if any of you do a lot of colour printing and are near to a Costco, they are selling a box of their own brand [Kirkland] glossy inkjet paper that is better than Epson Premium Glossy [which retails at £7-99 for 20 sheets] for:

£12-67p for 125 sheets of A4.

A true bargain.

They are a good bit of kit and worth having but I have never understood why they cost so much.

Goon
    Does anyone know of a good 3/4 season down sleeping bag going cheap either on tinternet or in London/Essex area?

Try the Outdoor Shop -link on left.
    Always at good prices

Debbie, are you going to the Brecon Beacons meet in December. Jan is hoping to go but to walk and so far I think every one who is going wants to climb. She enjoyed you walk together at the Buttermere meet.

Goon
    Hiya JJ and Julie, I've got a bit confused with when all the meets are. I can't make the 15th Oct as doing a cub camp but I would like to go to another one, hence the need for warmer sleeping bag. I really enjoyed my walks with Jan and Ninja at Buttermere too. If I can clarify the dates I'd love to go :-]

The Brecon Beacons meet is 12th to 14th of November, Its in the meets and partners section and Rodger is going.

Dont forget when it comes to warmth whats under you is just as important. if you use an air bed you need some insulation under that. I know it costs more but go for down if you can, its lovley.

Mini Goon
    Stuey, getting back to the thread, isn't the shop you're refering to called Mountain Warehouse?
    Treat yourself to some new crampons for those freudian slips.

TK MAx

£300 patagonia str-gortex jackets down to £100, they often have a load of other stuff as well, but you really have to have the time to hunt.

size and colour is often the issue

xs and orange

Possibly, I,m confused these days