Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bargain training watches !

Widdler

Hi - iIf anyone fancies a simple watch to track your speed,distance and hear rate, enter the promo code axiosdm here :http://www.grangersonline.com/techtrail.cfm and you can get an 80 % discount on the price of a Techtrail Axio SDM.

I use the watch on my regular runs and out in the hills and it is nice and easy to use and stands up to plenty of abuse.

‹bermensch

looks like a good bargain johnny...anyone else used this??

I took the gamble - will Ebay if it is too chunky or has too many buttons!

Would feel more secure if Johnny 2 didn't hide his details and he turned out to be a regular poster

‹bermensch

hi roos yes thats why i asked if any regulars have heard of it

It is on coupon sites as well, and the company seems to be genuine. The discount code works. The altimeter version of the watch has been sold by Cotswold.

And I just noticed my summary details are invisible too - I probably disabled that with Keen points things.

Super Moderator captain paranoia's Avatar

Johnny 2 has made just this one post. Either he's suddenly stumbled across OM and has decided his first post should be to share a bargain with us, or...

Or it is the shop alerting us. They did Tweet the offer as well. It was earlier in the sale for £50, maybe they thought to try a different approach this time.

If don't like it I will put it up for sale here and if you email me the special discount code I will half the price

Roos

Good find cheers!

I have the techtrail altis which is a metal bodied watch... Hopefully this is lighter

‹bermensch

mm tempted but would be lot happier if johnny 2 came back with a response!!!

Will let you know how I get on lfenbo, just ordered one

Techtrail are decent enough sure, even if I only use HRM its ok for 26 sovs

‹bermensch

ok tg thanks will look forward to seeing how you get on with it. (wonders how long offer will last)

Mine just arrived, no complaints about delivery time (*). First look it all seems fine: fairly large watch but not unreasonable (**), chest strap for heart rate monitor, and shoe thingy for pedometry. And a user manual.

I wouldn't have bought the various features otherwise but for this price I'll give them a try - my old Argos watch is really past it.

Now the plan was that I'd hand it over to father Christmas for delivery in 2 months time - but maybe I should have a wee test first

Roos

(*) Unlike a UPS delivery which I tracked moving quickly through Sweden, Denmark and Germany, and which has now been sitting in Tamworth since Wednesday evening for delivery yesterday.

(**) Of course I have delicate girly wrists *cough*

And it is branded Highgear rather than Techtrail but Google suggests than one is the European and the other the US branding. Same logo.

They tried to deliver mine today can't wait to it a go tomorrow!
    I find with the altis its fine on the hill when there is a definite chandeliers in altitude but it's not so great lower down... Will compare the 2!

*change! Feckin predictive text!

Got it today, very happy with it!

Easy to use, with a nice clear screen which also allows the contrast to be changed. The light seems a bit dim, but I can live with that. Its a nice size too, not too big and isnt overly thick.

Thanks for the heads up Johnny!!

Likewise mine arrived yesterday, 24hrs after ordering. Will have a play today and post a short review of features as there's definitely many more features in the manual than listed on the website.
    The crucial thing I want to test is whether the foot pod is just a pedometer or is a proper accelerometer (I suspect the latter as most of these are now) in which case it's a lot more accurate as it compensates for varying stride length.

aye, will be interesting to see how accurate it is stove man...theyve been a waste of time previously!

Ok - first test done. My views:

1) This looks and behaves exactly like a new balance N8 trainer watch. These get mixed reviews, although reading through some of them it looks like a mix of variable quality on the watches and some user error.

2) My experience is that the foot pod is as accurate as GPS. I calibrated over 1.00miles (GPS measured) running on pavement in London. I then ran a further 3.25 miles (according to GPS) which the watch measured as 3.27.From an outdoors perspective, its worth noting that this type of measurement system (an accelerometer-based foot pod) generally gets mixed reviews for accuracy due to the dramatic stride changes between ascent and descent, and rough vs smooth ground. Running is a relatively easy test, but then I bought it as a running watch.

3) The screen is ok but the smaller top/bottom displays are very hard to read, particularly when running.

4) The features are good. In particular,

a) the autolap which records your time over a defined distance and repeats ad inifinitum, so you can see your mile/kilometer/0.25 mile splits for every such distance.

b) the real time pace readout is much better and more useful that the similar readout on my Garmin (which fluctuates to wildly to be of use).

c) the heart rate monitor gave a stable readout and was very close to the readings I get from my other HRMs (I didn't wear them at the time, but I do know my usual heart rate/pace tradeoff and this was within limits).

d) the data is stored in the watch for up to 30 laps and 50 runs (i.e. 1500 points total I think) but can only be reviewed on screen, not output to a computer.

Overall, for £24 I think its excellent value. Its a gift for a fellow runner, and personally I'll keep my Garmin as I like to be able to get a detailed log of all routepoints and stats which this doesn't do.