Thread: trekking poles

Well it's all in the title.

I am planning to purchase some trekking poles and am fairly convinced by the Black Diamond Expedition poles, but does anybody have any experiences good or bad with them??

Or any recommendations for alternatives that I may not have considered??

Anything appreciated (within reason).

Goon
    if its the new ones with bottom section click pins and top on a QR lever, then they are nice but in winter the pins are a b!"£$%d with gloves on, if you have to pack them away that is, if they are out all day no worries

Ooh don't think I know, didn't say anything about a click pin??

They are just Exped poles with flick lock adjustments so far as I can tell.

Haven't used the later ones, though I've seen them but I have a pair of BD flickloks that I've been using for ages on big mountains without problems. I much prefer them to telescopic poles.

The newest ones, as gearboy says, have an easy adjust lower section with click pin things which I can imagine would be a bit fiddly in big gloves and serious winter snow debris, but the flicklok mechanism works well in my experience.

Rock and Run sell a more economically priced Gipron fliklok pole which use the same mechanism, see the shopping section - left

Jon - do those flicklocks work then? I've been considering some as I am no longer able to do/undo the screw ones. I asked at the local shop - one of the few who sell BD - but the chap said that they are stopping selling them as so many were returned due to the locks failing to hold.

Now I'm worried.

I thought they were meant to be really good and pretty tough. I really wan them for backpacking adventures in the highlands.

Does anybody else have an opinion on them??

Goon
    the flicklocks work really well, they do sometimes need an extra turn on the screw, easy with a penknife, treat them like a quick release wheel or seat post on a bike, trust them,
    the only problem i have experienced with BD poles is the new bottom sections, once they are locked in great, but awkward to undo as its a smallish pin behind a rubber seal

Goon
    richard, forgot to say, they are solid reliable and dont fail, i just struggle to close down the first section when i have gloves on otherwise they are good and IMO better than leki adjusters

Can someone who has used them comment on whether they would be cool for someone with a poor grip (arthritis)?
    Bob has a flicklock monopod for his camera and I can do that OK but I have been led to believe that flicklock poles don't keep fastened.

The hospital have given me a walking stick pro tem and it has an egonomic handle and is shock-corded so easy to snap down and stash in me handbag/ruccy.

Any shock-corded trekker poles?

bump - snap

Have hopefully tracked down an older model of the pole without the new spangled bottom section so am going to try get a pair of them. Yippee!!!

They arrived this morning, excellent, set up and ready to rock for the weekend!!!!

Seem pretty tough, but not used yet. Really easy to set up as well, just like quick release on a bike as gearboy stated.

Yippee, cannae wait!!!

Hi Richard,

Where did you find them, if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers

KD

JJ, flicklocks are much better than twistlocks IMO.

As someone has already said, if the lock is too loose to grip the pole, then you undo the flicklock and tighten the small screw a bit - piece of cake.

I keep meaning to get a pair of the cheap R&R ones to replace my leki poles - main reason is that its easier to undo the flicklocks when their iced up completely in Scotland!

Only problem I can see you having, is if the little screw mentioned above was tightened up TOO much. This might make the flicklocks very tight and too hard to undo, but a bit of trial and error adjustment at home (with Bob ready to undo them if they're too tight) followed by a dab of nail polish on the screw threads when you've got them adjusted correctly and you'll be laughing I reckon.

HTH

Si

Needlesports have old & new models, or they did when I ordered mine.

The Outdoorshop do them as well, but not sure if they have the older model.

HHope that helps.